remington 770

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by remington7mm, Oct 25, 2010.

1. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

i have just joined the fourm so kinda bear with me guys, but i am on many other fourms aswell so know how to use them! i have been lurking around and found a couple 770's in both 30-06 and 7mm. knowing bigger is not always better but hell for lmost the same price why not go bigger? any one have any good advise on these that have used them? i read alot on mixed internet reviews and some are good and some are bad. the gun might see 20 rounds a year if lucky so i dont see the need to drop 1500 on a gun if im not going to use it much.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The Remington model 710 was an epic fail. The model 770 is the direct offspring of the model 710. A 770 might work out for you good BUT there's a LOT better choices out there, and in the same general price range too! The Marlin XL-7/X-7 and the Savage edge are 2 rifles that perform great and I've had personal experience with them. Between the 2 I'd opt for the Marlin but they don't come in magnum chamberings......yet.

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Although I love Remington rifles and think the Mod 700 is the best bolt action ever made, I agree with Bear that the Marlin XL-7 or Savage/Stevens is the better choice than the 770 at that price point, (unless you can spend a little more and get a base Mod 700...)

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The 770 is not even worth the money the ad was printed on.

5. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

6. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

7. stalkingbear

Either 1 of those would be miles ahead of the 770. I've had experience with both and personally would go with the Marlin. It would be best to compare them side by side and see which 1 feels best in YOUR hands.

8. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

i will take a look at both, i know cabelas doesnt show them online, ill have to call a couple gun shops and see what i can find.

9. stalkingbear

The only bad thing I can see wrong with package deals is that usually they stick the cheapest scope they can on them. I feel you would be a lot better off by purchasing the bare rifle and then buying a Nikon Prostaff (150$) to put on it. Sure the scope on the package deal may hold up for awhile but for just a little bit more total you can have a decent scope on it that'll last your lifetime.