Remington 770

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sundown, Sep 14, 2010.

1. sundown

sundown New Member

I am looking for a basic center fire long range rifle. I can't find anything that looks better than teh Remington 770. Does anyone have an opinion on this gun?

2. sundown

sundown New Member

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think just about everyone would have an opinion, but it might help if you let us know what you want the rifle to do for you. Are you a hunter? What kind of game? What kind of territory? Are you a target shooter? What kind?

What would the ideal application be for this firearm, in your eyes?

JD

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The 770 is NOT even close to being any kind of long range gun. That is if you consider 300+ long range. I have seen and held the 770 and I am sorely disappointed that Remington put their name on them.

If your going to get a rifle from Remington stick with the 700.

Me I would look at Howa, Savage, Tikka before ever looking at anything Remington is putting out now.

This comes from a pissed off Remington fanboy.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If you're going with Remington I'd recommend you stick with a model 700 SPS. If it don't have to be Remington I'd suggest a Marlin XL-7/XS-7, or a Savage Edge. Both can be had for about 300$ sans scope. PLEASE do yourself a favor and stay away from the model 770. The 770 is simply an "improved" model 710. The 770s are a lot better but the 710s were junk for the most part. I used to say there were 2 kinds of Rem 710 owners-those with broke rifles and those with future broke rifles.

6. Maverick

Maverick Member

x2

I would most likely go with the Savage Edge. But if you are dead set on a Remmington, I would go with the 700.

7. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member