Remington 770. Vs savage arms axis.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Zamzow, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

Which is a better built rifle. And why. Need advice. Can't decide which to go with.

2. kaido

kaido New Member

I've got the 770, but I was going for the Axis. It isn't that bad of a rifle as far as a budget one goes. I've gotten groups an inch and under using factory ammunition and with reloads I've brought them down to a steady 3/4" and smaller at times.

One big thing I don't like about it is the bolt, it seems a little to sloppy. When you pull it back and extract the spent casing, it's nice and smooth and sends the case out with no issues. However when you go to close the bolt, if you have to much pressure pushing it in any direction, it won't close near as smooth as it opened. It doesn't take to much pressure either.

That being said though, I do remember getting excited when I seem my second coyote after buying the rifle and jumping out of the tractor to take a shot at it. I managed to fire off all four shots before I even realized I did so.....never noticed the bolt "locking up" from any side ways force.

I've only shot one magazine through an Axis, but everything about it felt nicer to me. Both guns where chambered in .243, also never shot for groups with the Axis either.

3. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

770 vs axis

If I had to pick one from the two it would be the Axis. The sloppy bolt on the 770 is a big turn off for me. That being said why not broaden your search and look at a Ruger American, a Marlin x7, or a Mossberg ATR.

4. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Hated my 770 in 308. After 50 rounds the which magazine blew out of the gun after I took my shot. Not only that but when I went to reload an other round, the whole bolt came out.

5. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

I was looking at the ruger American. Is that a good rifle.

6. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I have heard good things about them. They have nice features for a low price. I am looking for one in 308 or 30-06 right now. The guy from gunblast.com was getting sub moa accuracy at 100yds.

7. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

As far as the 770 vs the savage. The savage wins hands down.nutnfancy does a lengthy review of the ruger american were he compares it to the marlin and savage.

8. greeney

greeney New Member

What caliber are you looking for? I'm looking at the same few rifles, in 270. One thing I noticed while I wad looking this weekend is the barrel on the savage being much thinner. The Remington was by no means a bull barrel but a fair about thicker. The savage cane with abudhnell achiote that was actually really nice while the Remington was a smaller. scope. The savage was like 400 and the 770 was 549. This was at bass pro Toledo Ohio and they are running a special until the 6th whet you get basically 100 off when you spend 500. Not bad, if only the wife wasn't with me

9. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

That is too much for a remimgton 770. The ruger american can be had for around $350 and comes in 270. Also check out the marlin x7 series many on this forum recommend it. You can get heavy barrel versions of the x7 as well.

10. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I just got a Remington .270 at academy for $299

11. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Let us know how you like it. I have nothing against remimgton, in fact I love the 700, but I personally dont care for the quality of the 770. I shot one recently that the cartridge wouldn't eject and had to be pried out. I always try to handle the gun that I buy to make sure its smooth.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I shot both of them before buying the savage Axis, the action alone was the big player in my choice , the trigger on the savage was heavy but smooth , the 770 was even worse . I hav also been told the Axis barrels come off the same line as their other upper end rifles . I can shoot dime sized groups with my axis in .223 @ 100 yards with cheap remington UMCs . I have put a lighter spring in the trigger now at around 3.2# via the scale and a real tack driver with reloads my buddy builds for me .
    for a budget rifle the Axis is a hard one to beat , if you have a bit more cash take a look at the Tikka T3 , very very nice rifle for the money

13. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I love my gun here is a picture of 4 shots at 145 yards shooting down into a valley this is an 8" shoot an see target! I've never had any problems with my 770

image-1227053707.jpg

It's not all that amazing but it does the job for me

14. BULLET9992

BULLET9992 New Member

I have a 770 & talk with a lot of people that have them so here's the deal. They are either great or bad, the quality control at the factory is below par bc it's a budget firle so as long as they fire semi straight they send em out the door. The trigger is a little squishy & the bolt isn't great. However you can easily get used to the trigger & you can fix the bolt. The bolt sets & slides on polymer. You can heavily break it in by working the bolt or even rake high grit sand paper to sand down JUST A LITTLE! Also, factory Bushnell optic is retarded & has a lot to do with the accuracy, if your shooting that scope I'd be surprised if you could have a group less than 3" wide. All that being said, I LOVE my 770. I slapped a $100 barska 6-24x50 scope. Have the bolt smooth as hell. & I'm used to trigger so it shoots great. I have the 300 win mag. I have now free floated the barrel & seen significant accuracy improvements but before fre float it would shoot 1moa at 100 yards, good for deer hunting. Also a lot of their bad name comes from the fact that most people who buy cheap rifles aren't experienced & blame bad shooting the gun. Bottom line it's coyly be a decent gun or a great gun depending on cal & the particular rifle you buy, & you will HAVE TO replace optics for an accurate scope.

Here's my best group before free float (after this shot I adjusted & hit close to center on other targets)

ForumRunner_20130304_114936.jpg

Here's my average group after free float (shots left & right was me re sighting gun & now has 1/2moa accuracy)

ForumRunner_20130304_115115.jpg

ForumRunner_20130304_115128.jpg

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Overall the op should handle each of them and make sure they feel sturdy/like the trigger pull.

16. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

I'm looking at them in .30-06

17. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

What about weatherby rifles.

18. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

They are good but a little more $

19. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Between the 770 and Axis, I'd choose the Axis. However, I own an Axis in another cartridge and based on my experience with it, if I were you I'd take a look at a Marlin X rifle or the Ruger American. Don't own an American, but do own a couple of Marlin X rifles. Marlin does cost a little more than an Axis, but the extra cost is worth it.

20. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Weatherby Vanguards are OK, but check around for a Howa 1500 too. Howa makes the Vanguards for Weatherby and generally cost less. Vanguard is basically a Howa 1500. Do own a Howa 1500 243 Win and wouldn't mind owning another Howa.