Remington 770 vs. Remington Model 700

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ndtiger, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ndtiger

ndtiger New Member

Big price difference. what about performance?

2. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I've never shot a 770, but I'm told that they are a day and night difference from the 700, and not necessarily in a good way. But this is strictly heresay, I've never shot one. I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

3. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Remington introduced the 770 line as their entry level bolt gun. They had to cut corners to bring the price down. As a result the 770 is inferior to the 700. If you are on a budget and want a new bolt gun, look at the Marlin XL7/XS7, Savage Axis, or Mossberg 100ATR. Any of these are better than the 770.

4. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In my experience, you'll wanna skip the Mossberg too. I traded mine for the Savage Axis because the Mossberg wouldn't shoot like I wanted. The Savage has been a much better grouping gun and shoulders a lot more naturally for me.

5. Wambli

Wambli Member

I know a few folks that have 770 and they shoot fine but I have also known others that didn;t care for them and traded up so I'm not sold on them. I just saw 700 ADLs on sale for $399 at Cabelas so if I wanted a low cost Remington that's the way to go.

6. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I handled a 770 once, and with the bolt back you could wobble it side to side like it was a toy. I've heard nothing but good about the Stevens 200 lines of rifles, which are in the same price range. Really, the Stevens rifles are probably the best bang for your buck out there.

7. natman

natman Member

The Marlin XL/XS 7 and the Savage Axis are amazing guns for the money.
    The Mossberg is OK, but can't compete with the other two for a similar price.
    The Remington 770 is a pile of junk. The workmanship is crude, the finish is so-so and the less said about the styling the better. It's an embarrassment to the Remington name. I wouldn't own one if it were free.

8. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I want to go on the record: I will take all unwanted Rem. 770's & am willing to pay all shipping & transfer cost.
    Even though they are of ?able quality. Free makes the Scott in me smile.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree 100%! i owned a 770 in 30-06, traded it for a mossberg atr100 in 30-06, i shot very well as far as accuracy, but was murder on my shoulder! traded it for a taurus 44 tracker, love it! i own three different marlin X7 series of rifles, XL7C in 25-06, XS7 in 7mm-08, and the newest one, XS7VH in 308 w/ the heavy barrel. when i replace my 30-06, it will be the marlin XL7. these are very fine rifles, accurate, well made, and very affordable. allows you to spend a little more on the scope purchase. savage IMO, they are well made, accurate, but i'm not a big fan, purely from a cosmetic standpoint. i really like how the marlins look, the barrels are a little larger on the marlins.

10. natman

natman Member

To all those who were trying to unload their 770s on me, please send them to tellmaster207.

Thanks, turning all those people down was getting tiring. ;)

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The 770s are not worth buying if you're going to shoot much or if you're going to be serious about it. They are simply revamped versions of the POS model 710. The design sucks!

12. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

With so many used guns on the market I don't know why anyone would buy a 770/atr/stevens 200. You could get a nice used Winchester Ranger/Husqvarna/Parker Hale type gun
    in 30-06 or .270 for the price of one of these "package" guns. However that is just my opinion.

13. Axxe55

well said! i had a guy call me the other day about my remington M700 7mm rem. mag. and wanted to trade a remington M770 in 300 win. mag. i told him, thanks, but no thanks, as i had one of those 770s, and wouldn't trade one 700 for ten of those junky 770s. he said his gun dealer friend said the same thing about the 700s. i informed him to find another gun dealer friend who actually knew something about firearms! i also had a mossberg atr100, and had the chance several months ago to trade it for a taurus 44 tracker, holster and six boxes of ammo. i feel like it was a good trade, as i was never truly satisfied withe the mossberg rifle.

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Some 700's have trigger issues...hence the recall.

Most 770's have other issues...so it helps to at least be a shade-tree gunsmith if you own one.

I'd go with a Marlin XL-7 in .30-06 or a XS-7 in .308 :)
    Start at $299, and Boyd's Riflestocks has all kinds of replacement wood for 'em if you don't like the OEM Synthetic stocks...

But bone stock, they'll eat an untouched 770 for lunch...and give pimped 700 owners a lot to think about at the range,
    as the X-7's are sub-MOA from the box :D

15. Axxe55

oh i agree, i have several marlin X7 series rifles, 25-06, 7mm-08 and a 308. i have been very pleased with all of them and will continue to add a few more to my collection, 243, 270, 30-06 and 22-250! i have a few remington m700s and will continue to buy them as well when i find one i like and the price is right. as i said before i owned one 770 once and not too long at that! i lost money on it and still feel like i'm money ahead! worst gun purchase i ever made.

16. powg

powg New Member

remington 770 = 710

remington 770 =710 = p.o.s. ...best gun for the money is a savage or weatherby vanguard

17. Axxe55

well said! marlin is catching up in the bolt action rifles. savages are very good guns, weatherby's are excellent rifles, but tend to be on the pricey end of the scale. have had a couple years ago, very pleased with them and very accurate rifles. would buy another if the right deal came along.

18. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My experience with Remmies has been hit or miss but I wouldn't trade my 700 for anything. If I were looking for another bolt gun I seriously consider the Ruger M77.

19. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I have several rem 700s GREAT rifles with some work on the triggers, LIKE A COMPLETE NEW ONE!!! I also have a couple 770s, yes they are a complete night and day differance no doubt about it for sure. I like my 770s they shoot ok yes the fit and finish is rough for sure and the bolt gets sticky. To me this comaprison is like the differance between a 1970 toyota pick up and a brand new ford f-250. They are not even in the same class nor were they ment to be. For a guy who takes his rifle out of the case three times a year and shoots it the 770 is just fine. Now if a guy shoots a bit more often then he may want to step up to a 700 with a new trigger(yes I hate the rem chunk trigger!!!) Now if you are wanting something that you can drive tacks with all day long then thats a whole different ball game. Choose what you want to do with it, how much money you can spend without breaking the bank! The 770 when handled with respect just like any other firearm will not blow up and kill you and half the city like so many people have said(no not in this thread). First be safe and have fun. Oh and yeah the 770 will put game on the table took two does with one three years ago. First from 120 yards and then other from 260 yards. :)