Remington 7600 any good?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Davey_boi, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Davey_boi

Davey_boi New Member

Has anyone had any experiences with a Remington 7600 pump action? I bought one in .308 that had a misaligned receiver and although I like the gun, I'm a little hesitant to get another.

The problem was I couldn't sight the scope in as it ran out of adjustment. The store sent it back for repair and after 5 weeks I got my money back.

Aside from that the trigger was a bit spongey and the quality was a little poor (flow lines in the synthetic stock from molding, front sight loose).

I don't want to write off this rifle so I'm hoping I just got a bad one. Would love to what other people think of the rifle.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I think you might have got'n a bad rifle but thats the problem over the last couple years with remington. The design as not lacking it just what remmy is producing today. I would also avoid buying another remmy anything today. Try to find a older use model or a browning blr or finally make the shift to a bolt rifle.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Remington pump and semi-auto centerfire rifles are good hunting rifles. They are NOT Browing BAR's. They generally shoot 2" groups at 100 yards (give or take a bit). They have a shotgun like trigger mechanism that has hook like sear engagement surfaces rather than flat surfaces. They are difficult to make crisp.

I have a 7400 that is a good shooter (not great, but good). I do not expect it to still work after 2000 rounds w/o an overhaul.

4. bigjim

bigjim New Member

I would look for an older model too.

This is a 1989 model 7600 in 30-06, shoots very well.

Jim

[​IMG]

5. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

i've never really known any "pump-action" rifles to perform that well.

getchu an older bolt-action. in today's market, you have your pick of the litter, so to speak. :D

6. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I have one that I bought in 30-06 in the mid 80's that I love. Best group I ever shot with it using handloads that it likes was just under an inch from the bench at 100 yards. I really took my time as I wanted to see what it is capable of. Usually I can shoot 1 1/2" all day with it, never a malfunction, a lot of deer fallen to it. To me, a great gun.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the ones I have shot surprised me with their accuracy. better than many bolt guns. they were older ones though. I was surprised considering that the barrel is not solid in the receiver.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Good advice. I've never been impressed with either the 7400 auto or the 7600 pump.

Another excellent option, albeit a bit more expensive, is the Browning semi-auto BAR ll. Quality is really excellent, accuracy is as good as most bolt actions, and it's beautiful rifle that will give you braggin' rights!:D:D

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

My older Rem pump, whose action has some advantages, is a fine enough gun in .308. Better than average accuracy. The carbine's are probably a tad more accurate with their effectively stiffer barrel.

Attached Files:

10. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have a 760 that I haven't touched the cheap Bushnell scope that wason the gun when I bought it over 25 years ago. It shoots 1 MOA 1 inch high at 100 yds. It's amazingly accurate. I only ever had one problem when the action froze up in an ice storm (my bad).

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I have heard here and there the idea that this rifle is a home-defense alternative to an AR-10, M1, or M1A. Mainly because it is box-fed. Occasionally people (probably not any of us here on this thread, of course) forget that it is really only intended to be fired about as rarely as bolt-actions. I don't think they were designed to be high-volume shooters.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You are spot on! The box magaxzine only holds 4 rounds. The AR platforms hold 20. The 7600 was designed and built as a hunting rifle for the one week per year hunter. It, and it's semi-auto brother the 7400 will not stand up to the kind of extensive shooting that most AR and AK enthusiasts do.

13. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

There are 10 round mags for the 7600 and 7400 but that does not make them on the same level as an AR or similar combat rifle. They are good hunting rifles and should be used as such.

14. Davey_boi

Davey_boi New Member

Update - thanks for all of the feedback. After having a think about it I decided to replace my 7600 with another, this time with wood finish and from a different shop.

Interestingly, when they were bore sighting the scope in the shop (Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33mm) the comment was made "geese this is way off" and all of the scope adjustment was used up without getting the scope on target. They tried a second set of of mounts/rails and it turns out both sets of mounts were slightly tapered when measured with the vernier (according to what they told me). This may have been the problem with the original rifle so my doubts in the Remington 7600 may have been unfounded. They shimmed the mounts and all is ok (although I havent sighted it in yet).

Also, the wood is much nicer than synthetic - it actually feels like a step up in quality and the finish is nicer. I'll upload a pic and report when I've sighted it in.

Thanks again for the feedback!

15. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

I use Leupold bases and rings to mount scopes on a rifle. The windage is adjusted with the two screws on the rear base. Then I have only minor adjustments for windage with the scope dials. I never have had to shim the base for elevation on any rifle. The trigger pullweight on my Remington pump 270 was about seven pounds but a gunsmith worked it down to about three pounds. With reloaded ammo I get 1 1/4 inch five shot 100 yard groups shooting off a bench rest, but I have gotten a few 3/4 inch 100 yard groups.

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Guess I shouldn't have shown the pic I did with a 10-rnd metal box mag installed. Here's another "loadout" below (I didn't attach the extended magazine release)...

As a standard hunting/ocassional shooring arm it makes an EXCELLENT foraging/defense gun when you may just want the option of having some quick follow-up shots with increased capacity.

How about their 16-1/2" .223 police variants that use AR mags as a general purpose survival gun? Yeah, with that rotary lock-up bolt (as on the AR-10's and AR-15's too) they and those 870's are just so flimsy...

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012