Firearms Talk banner

Remington 7600 280 pump

8K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Kilibreaux 
#1 ·
After finally getting me a good scope base and rings and topped with a good scope, now the gun is preforming like it's supposed too. 3 shot group at 100 yards. The scope is a Vortex Crossfire II 3X12X56 hog hunter Line Window Wire Electric blue Circle
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Machine gun Gun barrel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
David,

Excellent Group!;)
Did you have a 10 MPH Full Value Left to Right Wind. If not as a suggestion go 2 Clicks or 1/2 MOA Left and it would be PERFECT! The elevation as is, should be around a 200 Yard Zero point! And 1 in. (1 MOA) high at 100 yards is Good! BUT! Great Shooting and Great Rifle! They are not known for performing as your Great Group. You definitely have a good Combination with your rifle. And as stated Good Shooting!

#3 ·
Well believe it or not. With it set like it is. At 300 yards it's dead inline with the bull's-eye and exactly 6 inches low. That's shooting Factory Winchester 140 silver ballistic tips. I'm fixing to try and hand load some bullets to see if I can make them a Lil hotter. Oh and it was a clam day when we done the shooting

#8 ·
if you want to realize the full potential of the 280 Rem., then you need to get a rifle in bolt action and reload. most of the factory ammo is weak in comparison, and doesn't do the cartridge justice IMO.

properly handloaded ammo is almost like 7mm Rem. Mag. Lite!

#9 ·
if you want to realize the full potential of the 280 Rem., then you need to get a rifle in bolt action and reload. most of the factory ammo is weak in comparison, and doesn't do the cartridge justice IMO.

Well in in the process of getting a bolt action. My cousin and his father in-law both have 280's and they reload already. So it's a plus for me

#10 ·
Well in in the process of getting a bolt action. My cousin and his father in-law both have 280's and they reload already. So it's a plus for me
there ya go! you will love the 280 Rem. in a bolt action.

the sad fact is, the 280 Rem. never got the support it should have gotten, and was in a sense going against the 270 Win. which was already established and well publicized by Jack O'Connor for years in the gun mags.

.280 Remington vs .270 Winchester
The .280 Remington is capable of generating slightly higher velocities with a given bullet weight than the .270 Winchester, and also able to use heavier bullets due to the larger .284" diameter. .284" bullets also have higher ballistic coefficients at the top of the weight spectrum than .277" bullets. The greater energy and higher ballistic coefficient of heavier .284" bullets give the .280 Remington a slight ballistic advantage over the .270 Winchester.

.280 vs .30-06
The .280 Remington is capable of developing energy nearly equal to the .30-06 Springfield, but with lighter bullets having a better ballistic coefficient. The .30-06 produces more energy than the .280 with bullets heavier than 180 grains, though .284" 175 grain bullets have a high sectional density of .310, compared to the 30-06 180 grain bullet with a moderate sectional density of .271. The .280 is suitable for hunting any game in North America with good shot placement.

#11 ·
there ya go! you will love the 280 Rem. in a bolt action.

the sad fact is, the 280 Rem. never got the support it should have gotten, and was in a sense going against the 270 Win. which was already established and well publicized by Jack O'Connor for years in the gun mags.

.280 Remington vs .270 Winchester
The .280 Remington is capable of generating slightly higher velocities with a given bullet weight than the .270 Winchester, and also able to use heavier bullets due to the larger .284" diameter. .284" bullets also have higher ballistic coefficients at the top of the weight spectrum than .277" bullets. The greater energy and higher ballistic coefficient of heavier .284" bullets give the .280 Remington a slight ballistic advantage over the .270 Winchester.

.280 vs .30-06
The .280 Remington is capable of developing energy nearly equal to the .30-06 Springfield, but with lighter bullets having a better ballistic coefficient. The .30-06 produces more energy than the .280 with bullets heavier than 180 grains, though .284" 175 grain bullets have a high sectional density of .310, compared to the 30-06 180 grain bullet with a moderate sectional density of .271. The .280 is suitable for hunting any game in North America with good shot placement.
Nice input. Thanks

#12 ·
Nice input. Thanks
you're welcome.

BTW, very nice shot group with your rifle! i'm very impressed. :D

i learned about the 280 Rem. about 18, maybe 18 years ago from my father when we were discussing various rifle cartridges. it only took me about 12 years to finally locate a rifle in 280 Rem. an old Ruger M77V manufactured in about 1977, or 1978. my gun shop took it in on trade and he knew i was searching for one so he gave me a call. i didn't even haggle on the price! i got it for $450 with two sets of the Ruger proprietary rings. i was one happy camper!:D

#13 ·
you're welcome.

BTW, very nice shot group with your rifle! i'm very impressed. :D

i learned about the 280 Rem. about 18, maybe 18 years ago from my father when we were discussing various rifle cartridges. it only took me about 12 years to finally locate a rifle in 280 Rem. an old Ruger M77V manufactured in about 1977, or 1978. my gun shop took it in on trade and he knew i was searching for one so he gave me a call. i didn't even haggle on the price! i got it for $450 with two sets of the Ruger proprietary rings. i was one happy camper!:D
Thanks on the grouping. It shoots great. A good used 280 is hard to come by. The people that has them don't want to turn loose of them. The only manufacturer that still makes a 280 is Thompson Center and Browning. They are some nice shooting guns for sure

#14 ·
Thanks on the grouping. It shoots great. A good used 280 is hard to come by. The people that has them don't want to turn loose of them. The only manufacturer that still makes a 280 is Thompson Center and Browning. They are some nice shooting guns for sure
Remington still lists one.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-mountain-ss

Ruger was offering one last year, but it looks like they discontinued it. it was offered in the Hawkeye.

#16 ·
Basically, ALL of the calibers developed from the .30'06 case are superior performers even here in the 21st century!

For the person who enjoys the advantages of the AUTOLOADER, or PUMP-gun, there is no point in telling them how much "better" the cartridge would perform in a bolt gun....I suspect MOST people already understand that.

The advantage and "beauty" of the Remington pump-action, "long-stroke" models is the ability to RAPIDLY put out shots....under field conditions a pump-gun beats a bolt gun everyday, every hour, every week when it comes to a quick second shot.

As for initial accuracy...the bolt gun's supposed main strength, for all practical purposes in the hunting field, the difference is nil.

The ONLY negative I could ever lay on a guy who chooses a pump-action, long-stroke caliber is that I would have chosen the semiautomatic version!!!!

I have a Browning BAR II synthetic stock, .30'06 that will pump out four rounds near instantly with precision accuracy I would NOT want to be downrange of to sample!

#17 ·

Factually, most factory ammo is loaded on the "lean" side due to liability issues. Quite frankly, the average shooter today has little first-hand knowledge about ballistics and simply bangs away with whatever was on sale at Wal-nut, or what some duffus suckered them into buying at the local "sporting goods" store.

I've always liked the .280....in fact, the most likely "ideal" round for military use is the "7mm-08" or a .284" bullet crimped into a necked down .308 case.

Not really....I'd rather see a 6.5mm bullet shoehorned into a 5.56mm case....or a shortened .308 case to fit within the confines of an AR-15.

#18 ·
Factually, most factory ammo is loaded on the "lean" side due to liability issues. Quite frankly, the average shooter today has little first-hand knowledge about ballistics and simply bangs away with whatever was on sale at Wal-nut, or what some duffus suckered them into buying at the local "sporting goods" store.

I've always liked the .280....in fact, the most likely "ideal" round for military use is the "7mm-08" or a .284" bullet crimped into a necked down .308 case.

Not really....I'd rather see a 6.5mm bullet shoehorned into a 5.56mm case....or a shortened .308 case to fit within the confines of an AR-15.
personally, i just never got enthused, or interested in semi-auto or pump rifles. i have been involved with mainly bolt actions for many years. i understand the utility of such rifles, and some people seem love them, but they are just not my cup of tea so to speak.

i own very few semi-auto rifles, and most of them are on the AR platform.

the thing is, the 280 Remington happens to be one o my favorite cartridges. properly handloaded, it's just an awesome round, and i prefer it over the 270 Winchester.

#19 ·
I grew up carrying, using, and perceiving bolt rifles as the be-all-end-all. After all, the models I grew up with were things like the .303 Enfield, 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, M1A1 Springfield .30'06 and the 1917 Enfield in '06! I never actually saw nor knew anyone who owned a commerical, "sporting" bolt action until I was an adult. Back in my home State we relied heavily on the Winchester .30'30 and while today it seems to get little "respect" what with the craze to have a handgun cartridge in a lever-action, the .30'30 is a superb and potent killer. In some ways it might be the ideal "prepper" carbine due to the power of its cartridge in a compact, fast-handling, fast-loading action!

These days my bolt action interests span the globe from my .338 WinMag to my Ruger American .300 AAC, but I cannot lie...commercial designs are not even close to the level of robust durability of the old Mausers and other military surplus rifles.

The only semiauto rifle I remember growing up was a Universal M1 Carbine that was amazingly effective with 110 grain softpoints...though never considered adequate by "high powered rifle" standards.

Then I joined the U. S. Army and got a taste of the M16. The rifle was light, accurate, fast-shooting, and pretty much BETTER than any bolt gun save for caliber and that's only if one erroneously presumes the 5.56x45 is "weak." The people who say that have never seen a human hit by one. If they had, they'd be considerably more respectful of a round that can tear out a person's entire face! The 5.56 round is so destructive the Russians and the Chinese have followed suit to make a round pretty much just like it. If "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" then the 5.56 NATO round is first among equals so to say.

Autoloading rifles have proven to be more reliable than bolt guns...a fact illustrated when the Army chose the M1 Garand over other bolt-action designs back in the day when the controlled feed Mauser was considered the standard.

The only "advantage" any modern day bolt rifle has over an autoloader of the same caliber is weight. One can readily and inexpensively buy a .338 Winchester that weighs a mere 6.5 pounds, in bolt configuration, and for FAR less money than one can buy a .338 autoloader that weighs at least two pounds more for considerably more scratch. As for the superiority of accuracy by bolt rilfes, this is far overblown. I won a CMP high powered rifle match using an HK-91 semiauto rifle with 17" barrel against ALL other rifle styles....that pretty much settles that mythos. When it comes to absolute, precision, long-range accuracy in a "compact" package, yes the bolt gun is preferred, but make ZERO mistake in assuming an autoloading platform cannot equal and best it. The difference lies in size, weight, and portability. The Barret .50 caliber autoloading rifle has PROVEN it can reach out with accuracy...yet it's not exactly light nor "portable" by the standard of bolt guns. In fact, one of the longest sniper hits on record was made by Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam using a Browning M2 .50 caliber machinegun with scope mounted! I doubt many would view the M2 "Ma Deuce" as a sniper rifle, yet it delivered the goods in the hands of a man who knew how to shoot!

That said, a bolt rifle is pure simplicity of form and function. As light as "can be" for a given caliber, and easily maintained. For the hand loader, match grade ammo is an easy addition.

The "calculus" for getting the very best from a bolt action rifle is much simpler.

If I were actually "prepping" for a post-apocalypse world my rifle of choice would be an AR-15 with lightweight barrel in 5.56 NATO. Pure and simple it will kill anything on this continent that one might need to kill to eat, and it's as light or lighter than all the larger caliber bolt guns, and of course the weight of ammo is 1/3rd or less that of other "big bore" bolt rifles!

Does this mean I think the 5.56 is "best"...no, it simply means if I had but one caliber to choose from the high powered 5.56 can do the job up and down the spectrum and in a rifle that is reliable, light, and durable.

The M16/AR15 pattern rifle has been IN SERVICE since in quantity since 1965. That's 52 YEARS which pretty much settles the "debate" about what is best. All the .30 caliber disciples need to get over it. The Reality is, one absolutely does NOT need a larger round to kill humans, nor deer, nor mountain lions, nor even Elk, Moose, and Grizzly considering the total weight of fire an AR can deliver.

An excellent corollary is the use of FN-FAL's in Africa to kill Elephants despite the "belief" that the .308 cartridge is too weak for the task. Sure, ONE might be...perhaps two or three. But unload ENOUGH into an elephant an he goes down...! Same holds true over here in good old North America! Maybe to stop a grizzly with ONE shot one needs a 105mm howitzer fired from an AC-130 Spectre, but in REAL life even a lowly FMJ M193 ball round will drop a grizzly in his or her tracks with multiple shot capability. And THIS is the "strength" of all modern-day, smaller caliber, semiauto firearms. Even if the round they shoot is inadequate on a 1:1 basis, the ability to fire a whole bunch really, really fast counters!

#22 ·
One can readily and inexpensively buy a .338 Winchester that weighs a mere 6.5 pounds, in bolt configuration

That'll be fun to shoot :)

But seriously, I've thought about getting a 7600. Sometimes it's satisfying to be different from everyone else.
That's why MY .338 Winchester Magnum is leaning against the corner over there....because I have not yet fitted it with a muzzle brake to compensate for the outrageous recoil!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.