Firearms Talk banner

Remington 760 Gamemaster problem

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hiwall 
#1 ·
I have a 760 that will not completely eject a spent casing. It will extract the casing from the breech and try to eject it but will not kick it out completely.

I have had the ejector spring out and it is not gummed up and is not weak. When cycling the action the spent shell will eject only far enough out of the receiver to be caught in the action as you try to close it.

Hoping some of you guys that have worked on these can help me out.

Thanks a bunch!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! You have an interesting location.

Has this problem occurred recently or has it been there for a while?
Did the problem develop after cleaning?
Any pieces fall out when cleaning?

#3 ·
Those ejector springs should be VERY VERY strong. That is the most likely problem. Could be the extractor(yes I seen where you said it extracts). The extractor needs to hold that shell well enough for the ejector to fling it.

#4 ·
The problem has been there for a while. I don't use it anymore but would like to start again. The spring (ejector button) seems to have as much pressure as my 7400 in a similar caliber. 3006 and 270

I found out this afternoon that it does much better with Remington casings than with the winchester or federals that I was trying. I had wondered about the extractor just as you explained. The local "Gun smith" said if it were an extractor problem then the shell would just stay in the chamber.

It wouldn't hurt anything to change that spring either. I guess now my question is about installing a new extractor. They are held in place with a rivet and I am not familiar with the process. Any help on how to fasten those rivets in place. Do I need special tools?
I really appreciate the help!

#5 ·
changing the riveted-in extractors on those Remingtons is kinda a pia. for a one-time job you can sometimes use an empty cartridge case to hold the extractor in place while you rivet it in(most 'smiths use a piece of steel). be careful I've seen bolts that had the lip broken from people changing the extractor themselves. also you might have a tough time finding one of the rivet-on ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.