Remington 742

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SVTErik529, Dec 13, 2008.

1. SVTErik529

SVTErik529 New Member

Hey all. Hopefully someone can help me out on here. I have a Remington 742 Woodsmaster probably about 30 years old. It is a .308 with the short carbine barrel. I love this little gun, it shoots great and it small and easy to carry around the woods. Well, its been acting up a lot so it's been in the closet for about two years since I last shot it. It's got two issues with it actually:

1: The screw that holds the forearm stock on is stripped. Last time I shot it the stock came off and the scope hit me in the forehead, ouch. I am actually unsure if it's the screw or the piece on the barrel that's stripped.

2: It doesn't eject properly. About every other round doesn't eject all the way and gets jammed in the action. I have noticed a hairline crack in one of the sliding parts(not sure of its name). I think the crack causes it to get stuck and not go all the way back, but I don't know for sure.

I brought the gun to a couple of local gun shops and they say the gun is a lost cause and nothing can be done. I tried to call Remington today to no avail. Does anyone know for sure if it's a lost cause or should I try another gunsmith? Any recommendations for a good gunsmith in southeast Louisiana? Also, someone told me I could send it back to Remington and get a new gun for a discounted price. Do they even make a gun comparable with the short barrel? I really like this gun so I just don't want to give up on it yet.

Thanks Alot,

Erik

2. azalps

azalps New Member

I have a 742 308 and it knocks down deer and elk. I would try another gun smith. Numrich has all the parts and it sounds like your action assembly may have a problem. The ejector may be dirty or need a new spring. Good luck!

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

remington7400.com does a lot of things with the S/A and Pump Remmys. They can likely fix it.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a great rifle and .308 is an excellent caliber. It's worth trying to repair it before getting rid of it.

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I know that on the 742's the clip can cause malfunctions (try a new clip) or too much earl will jam those babies up. A buddy of mine 742 had the same problem, I cleaned it real good with Gun Scubber and changed the clip, no mo problems. Remember, go easy on the oil in all auto-loaders.

6. genie

genie New Member

SVT, the cracked part is likely made of black plastic, and I suspect it does not play a part in the jam condition.

742 was an improved version of the 740, and is all-around a pretty good rifle. I should think either a very dirty action, poor ammunition, or magazine problem is responsible for the jamming problem.

The stripped threads should be easily repairable, by someone knowledgeable in that "science".

All else failing, please advise if you really want to get rid of the rifle!

7. SVTErik529

SVTErik529 New Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have actually changed the clip to no avail. I even tried another one to see if I got a bad one. No luck. So now I have two brand new clips, lol. The piece that is broken is metal, but I have no idea what you call it. When the action slides back, its the piece that is right next to the gun itself. The broken piece actually comes up and slides up against the gun. I think that is most of the problem, but I can't say for sure. I will definitely try another gunsmith, sometime after the holiday season. Happy Holidays!!:cool:

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Here's my .02 on the subject. I'm pretty sure what your local smiths are trying to say is it would take more to fix it than what it would be worth even after fixed. I've personally seen it many times. It would be akin to putting a 2,000$ set of wheels or an 2,000$ engine in an 1,000$ car. See what I mean? Naturally it's impossible to determine wether it's worth fixing without seeing it 1st hand. I wish I had an 100$ bill for every Remington 740/742/7400 over the years. The VAST majority of problems stem from extraction and cycling. It was just weak design. If nothing was wrong with the basic design, they wouldn't have changed the functional design 4 times over the years-they would just have changed cosmedic design and called it a day. Yes, I realize thousands of them provide a lifetime of service without ever malfunctioning, but the fact remains it wasn't the best of designs. Your rifle IS repairable but you have to decide if it's worth putting that kind of money in. IF it was ME, I'd make it a wallhanger and replace with an Browning bar or 1 of the newest designed Remington model 750s. Remington Changed the location of the gas port in the model 750 in order to get more consistant gas port pressure. Also,they DO make the model 750 in both rifle (22") barrel length, and carbine (18.5") length barreled versions.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  9. headhunter

headhunter Member

maybe

I seem to recall that Alhman's in Morristown, MN do an alteration on the 742 to a 760 , just for when all else fails. In the past their work has been good and cost reasonable. Good Luck!

10. Buglemfar

Buglemfar New Member

I had this problem with a newer 7400 several years ago. The dust cover you describe had cracked and was indeed causing a jamming problem. I removed it completely with the intention of replacing (still haven't) and the jamming ceased. This may or may not be your problem.

I've heard these rifles quipped "jam master" but in 20 years of using mine have never had a problem with the exeption of the cracked dust cover. Cleanliness seems to be the ticket.

11. Zee

Zee New Member

I hunted with a 742 308 carbine while my dad used the 3006 742 rifle the 06 started having problems when the bore began pitting and it would rip the rim off the case. the plastic piece in my 308 was never a problem however after the gunsmith pointed out this rifle has to be cleaned he recomended sea foam to cut carbon buildup remington offers a bore brush that works really well. also a light coat of rem oil. That said my 742 .308 carbine topped with a redfield 2x7 wide view, is the rifle i always want despite having several more expensive and "better" rifles. it's quick, stable, and range have never failed me.

12. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

i would take it to another gunsmith . its worth another look . i have very old 742 rifle in 308 ,it has treated me well . it sees the woods alot more then better rifles in the safe . it is easy to hunt with and knocks deer down

go to " e-parts.com to view exploded pictures of your gun . get the proper term for the broken part so you can update this thread .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  13. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

The rifle is definitely worth repairing. One thing about the 742 as well as most semi autos is that they really get dirty inside the receiver if they are not cleaned properly. Knock the pins out and pull the trigger mechanism and you may find a dirty mess. I took mine completely down last year even though I don't use it anymore and there was a bunch of crap in the receiver.
    When I was through with it, I completely disassembled my 11-87 since shotgun and rifle are almost identical. It was filthy there too. I ought to be ashamed for telling this. No one should let their weapons get that dirty, but the 11-87 sure does run better now.

14. Johnesler

Johnesler New Member

I have a rem 742 30-06 mag problems

Okay, I just pick me up a rem 742 30-06. I have took it down to the range and put a few rounds through it. When I load the clip I put 4 rds in it and load it into the gun I pull the bolt bak and the first bullet loads with no problem. Then after i shoot the next bullet don't load the clip partially comes out the gun like the clip isn't stay latched. then I have to push it back and reload the gun. What do you think is the problem? I'm new to this site so I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread so I'm replying to this one. If someone how there can help me and point me into the direction into what could be causing this problem I would gladly appreciate any info. Thanks

15. powg

powg New Member

ive got a 7600 ,that im tricking out as we speak .....the new guys on the block for your remington are accuracy systems in colo. remington 7400 .com ....same guys ...good luck

16. gspman2497

gspman2497 New Member

parts4guns

Check out ofr call parts4guns.com, I have read some good things on other forums

Ray Gregg
    Bear Creek Guns
    101 Sinclair Lane East
    Selah WA 98942
    Phone: (509 697-9000)
    Fax: (509 471-1938)
    Hours 9am - 5pm Pacific Time, Mon - Fri
    e-mail - parts@parts4guns.com

17. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

My first hi powered rifle was a 742 in a 30-06 purchased that rifle in 1977,years later it developed the same symptoms that you are experiencing.What I found was the bolt lugs were becoming damaged and not locking together.

Here's a link
    Remington 740/742/7400* Semi-Aut