Remington 721 Firing Pin Not Striking

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tlshanahan, Aug 8, 2020.

1. tlshanahan

tlshanahan New Member

Hey All—First Post,

I recently had the trigger mechanism on my Remington 721 replaced as the old one was labeled unsafe. Remington (the ones who did the trigger replacement) claims they cleaned and test-fired the gun but I doubt it. Upon trying to shoot it today, I would get the “click” of the firing pin but no shot.

I took the gun to a smith and he said the firing pin is no longer extending far enough to strike the primer. He also pointed out that the "Firing Pin Head" (circled in red below) is seemingly extended outwards even when the gun is not ready to fire. I included a picture of my gun (with scope) and a standard 721 (without scope) below. You can see how the pin head is much further out on my gun. Both I and the smith took out the firing pin but neither of us have been able to figure out this issue. Has anyone run into this problem before? I can probably send the gun back to Remington but I'd prefer not to wait 3 more months. Any info would be appreciated!

Mine_721.jpg Other_721.png

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  2. tlshanahan

tlshanahan New Member

Forgot to include, the gun fired perfectly before Remington serviced it.

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

when you squeeze the trigger is there ANY movement in the bolt? Does the fring pin head indicate ANY travel?

When cycling a round out of the chamber does the extractor work?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  4. tlshanahan

tlshanahan New Member

Wow, this is all very relevant info I should have included, sorry about that. Yes, when you fire the gun you get the click and the smith said the firing pin is moving. The extractor works fine as well. It almost as if Remington reset the firing pin head to be a cm further back than it should.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Please trust me on this one. Call Remington. Tell them to send you a shipping tag, send that puppy back to them. You are holding a 20 pound bag of he did it/no you did it/ no he did it. And the bag is wet and starting to tear.

The gun went back for a recall on the trigger, and now does not shoot. I would stop RIGHT THERE- and not tear down ANYTHING, would not have ANYONE else poke at it or disassemble ANYTHING.

PeeJay1313, Sniper03, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

c3shooter is right: Send the gun back to Remington ASAP.

7. tlshanahan

tlshanahan New Member

Dang, well said. I realized this morning I'd prefer not to run all over the state trying to find a solution for blow a hole in the drywall trying to do it myself. Thank for the help guys!

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As C-3 stated! "Remington"
    You might check! Some States have an Authorized Remington Service Center.
    For example, they use to have one in Louisville KY. I took my hunting rifle there years ago since I wanted it to have a 3 lb. Trigger. If you call Remington at the Factory they can advise if they have one close to your area or not!

9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The firing pins for the Remington model 721 and 722 are different. You don't suppose Remington stuck the shorter firing pin of the 722 rifle in your gun. No, of course not.

11. tlshanahan

tlshanahan New Member

Sadly the good state of Colorado does not have a center. I'll get in contact with them on Monday though.

I couldn't tell ya. That said, both the Smith and I agreed the Firing Pin Head is too far out so I'm guessing that's, at the very least, adding to the issue. If the pin is wrong too, we'll cross that bridge when we get there hahahaha

Sniper03 likes this.
  12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

tlshanahan

TL.
    If it had the standard 700 Bolt design, I would tell you that you had "one more turn" on the Treads on the Firing Pin Head of the Bolt. Since it requires screwing it in to the correct position. All you have to do on then is screw it in until it will not go any further and then just back it off into the right location. But the 721 Firing Pin Bolt Head is totally different. It just twist and the lugs lock in into the grooves in main Bolt. Good luck! I am sure they can get it fixed. Good Luck!
    Take Care!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  13. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

I feel left out. My 721 in 300 H&H was not covered by the recall. Some tiny amount of money was offered to buy a new after market trigger. The story is that the trigger assembly is different from the 700. Supposedly, this older trigger is less safe that the 700's. What going on, I don't like being screwed around like this.

14. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

I took my old 721 out of the gun safe. One of the current gadgets for bolt take down was attached. The firing pin assembly unscrewed rather than a half turn. There must be two variations of 721's out there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  15. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

Full auto with no delete button

16. tlshanahan

tlshanahan New Member

Hello All! This issue has been solved and I thought I would document it for the future generations of 721 owners. Turns out Remington broke the firing pin during their original repair and had to replace it during the follow-up. Not a very sexy ending to this story, but it worked very well during my shooting today so I have no complaints.

I could sense some thinly veiled opinions about the repair folks over at Remington so I thought I would provide a review as well. Despite this being a mistake generated by the repair department, it was for a trigger repair that cost nearly nothing dollar-wise. The follow up repair was also free. I also found the call staff to be very respectful and helpful and overall I was pleased with their customer service. Additionally, they were very open to expediting my second repair when I pressured them a little. I like a company that can fess up to their mistakes so hats off.