Remington 700

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lehill66, Mar 7, 2012.

1. lehill66

lehill66 New Member

So I was in Wal-Mart the other day and saw a Remington 700 in 30-06 with a scope for $449. I almost impulse bought it but figured I'd poll the gun crowd first...

I've been looking for a decent hunting/range rifle for around the $500 mark. From doing some research, this seems to be a pretty solid rifle without all the bells and whistles for a good price. Accuracy and reliability are more important to me than having all those bells and whistles, and it seems like this is what the Remington 700 base model offers. I see that there are models like the SPS that go for about $650ish….but not sure the $200 is worth the upgrade for my purposes (recreational target shooting and the occasional hunt). Thoughts on this rifle?

Wal-Mart sells it for $449 whereas somewhere like Cabelas has it for about $549. I guess you’re paying for the better knowledge, customer service, and potential need for follow-up service. I have no problems buying from Wal-mart tho to save some coin. It’s clearly the exact same gun…

2. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Is it an ADL or SPS?

3. lehill66

lehill66 New Member

ADL, which is just the base model I think

4. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Yes it is, and It's actually no longer produced. It is a very good foundation for a starting range/hunting rifle, and probably one of the most customizable bolt actions on the market. If dissatisfied with anything, you can upgrade it for nearly whatever your intended purpose. It is definately worth the money if you don't mind a internal magazine, which is a little strange to get used to at first.