Remington 700

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sbitter, Mar 7, 2012.

1. sbitter

sbitter New Member

I think that the new Remington 700 rifles have really gone down in quality and have started to lean more towards quantity produced. There nothing like the older 700. Is there anyone out there that thinks the same way as I do or feel differently about it?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

so do you actually own one or actually shot one, or just going by a bunch of internet trash talk? i own several Remington M700's, but i haven't bought a new one in several years. at my LGS, a couple of weeks ago, a gentleman i know, took delivery of three M700's he had ordered, and i handled them, and looked them over, one was the 50th Anniversary model BDL, another was a CDL SF and the other was a SPS Long Range. i didn't see any slippage in quality, fit or finish. the only thing that persuades me into buying them used vs. new is the high price. but then again, Weatherby, Rugar and others are not cheap either for a nice quality rifle. so i will ask, what is your basis for your assumptions that their quality has slipped from past products?

3. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Yea I own a older one and I have shot quite a few of newer ones my buddys have and they all seemed to have dropped in quality I believe

4. sbitter

sbitter New Member

The craftsmanship in the wood wasn't there and it seemed after they heated up a little they lose there accuracy more than the older ones. I could be mistaken but that's what I saw happening. That's why I started this thread.

5. Axxe55

i am not sure as to what you are seeing, but as i stated earlier, i saw three brand new ones come out of the boxes and there was any slippage in craftsmanship of fit and finish. looked every bit as good as many i bought new many years ago. i think you are buying into this internet hype that many are spreading about something they don't really have first hand knowledge of. i also own three Marlin X7 series rifles, two have Marlin proof marks on the barrel and the last one with the Remington proof mark, and there is no difference in the quality in any of them. another internet myth, that Marlin slipped in quality when they moved operations to the Remington plant.

6. sevenalphaone

sevenalphaone New Member

First post here. I felt as though I could provide some insight. Some of the R700s have made a distinct drop in quality. The difference is that they sell several models made to order for big box retailers. The materials used in these models are inferior to the other 700s because the stores want the most profit margin, so the big green makes them with less durable materials. As a general rule, if you want time honored quality in any firearm, you should buy from small shops that do not sell compromised items. These differences are subtle and would not be noticed by someone who is a first time buyer ie: sloppy bolt movement, tarnished barrel, lower quality stocks, etc. Hope this helped.

7. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Some years ago my dad picked up a 700 from Walmart, it is a 243 with the matte 870 express type finish and a synthetic stock, which seems pretty cheap compared to some of the other synthetics I have seen, also this 700 doesn't have the door on the bottom of the mag to unload it, you have to bolt all the ammo out the action, I will say that this 700 doesnt seem the quality of the nicer BDLs and older models, but it sure shoots as good as any of them. I think it is a matter of you get what you pay for, if you want a beautiful accurate 700 go to a gun shop and buy a high end model, if you want something cheap that you don't have to worry about scratchin it up but it still shoots good, buy a cheap model.

8. Axxe55

are you sure you're not mistaking the M770 for the M700? as the M770 is a very cheaply made Remington bolt action. these were made cheaply as entry level rifles, usually with a scope as a combo to sell in the chain stores very cheap.

the one your dad has is an older ADL synthetic stocked rifle, and the stocks are the cheapest part of the rifle. the SPS took the place of the ADL. the ADL years ago had wood stocks, just like the BDL, but had blind magazines, instead of a dropping floorplate. not for sure when, but the ADL went to synthetic stocks, then became the SPS which the stocks are somewhat better, but these are the economy version of the M700 rifles.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ya I know, like I said you get what you pay for, myself when and if I pick up a 700, I been wanting to replace a 22-250 I sold years ago, I'll get the high quality BDL or whatever they call the good one nowadays simply because I like the looks of a nice wood bolt action rifle, I won't worry about quality or accuracy out of any rifle or shotgun from Remington, other than the 22 autos as I have never had luck with the actions on them.

10. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

I just recently bought a new 700 sps tactical in .308. New model with the x mark trigger system and I have not had any problems. The stock I dont care much for but that's not what I paid for and I can always replace it. With the proper ammo I shoot .5 moa with it all day. Even with the barrel getting hot but I think that might have something to do with it being a heavy barrel. Idk Ive always been a fan of Remington.
    Just my .2 cents

11. Axxe55

my suggestions on this is, if buying a M700 and have no other plans than putting a scope on it and want a really nice looking rifle out of the box, buy the BDL or the CDL. nice wood, nice checkering, accurate, well made and fitted nicely, drop down floorplate. if wanting one to customize, get the SPS or a decent used one at a gun store, pawn shop or a gun show. then do what ever your heart desires. there are numerous options and parts for the Remington M700 rifles, and your checkbook is the only limiting factor in doing what you might want to do. it is probably the next most modified rifle next to the Mauser rifles.

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Over the last couple of years I bought three 700s all SS Milspec 5R in .223, .308 and .300 WM. I did have them all bedded in their HS stocks and changed out the X triggers to Jewells. Accuracy is exceptional--a lot better than I am capable of giving.
    Firearms are sort of like optics--you get exactly what you are willing to pay for.
    I know that everyone has their own likes and dislikes ie: ford or chevy. Some are prettier than others, those Savages are just plain ugly, but they shoot good. Frankly, I would rather have a fine shooting piece that is pleasing to look at, hold and caress.

13. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

I had a 1997 700 ADL in 30-06 that never failed to function and shot one inch groups at 100 yds. Last year I bought a Model 7 (the same design as the 700) which had head space issues and needed to go back to the factory. I also bought a 597 that had to go back to the factory twice. So, not only do I think the quality is down on 700s, I think Remington's quality overall has dropped.

14. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

The Remington auto rimfires have been crap since the Viper which preceded the 597, I can't speak for the model 7 because I don't know anything about them but the 700s or the shotguns I can't fault

15. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Remington sucks anymore, they care more about volume and pretty signs then quality.

16. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

we will have to agree to disagree, I have never had a Remington fault me, so I am not going to stop buying them because some people on the internet say they suck, when just as many people on the internet disagree. Most of the problems I have heard of are with the rimfires, which I will say are junk, or some cheaper model bargain gun they produce to fill a certain market, obviously in those situations corners are probably cut, you see it everywhere not just in guns. When I buy a bolt action it will be a bdl or cdl and I'm sure if for some reason there is a flaw they will stand behind it. I have an 870 express and my dad has a newer Wingmaster and they work just fine.

17. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I have a newer Target Tactical and it has been fine so far. Looks to be built very well. I'm enjoying it myself!

18. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

What caliber do you have that in?

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

IME, the newer 700s are more accurate and more durable. A new 700 with synthetic stock will shoot as well as yesterday's bench rest rifles.

20. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Maybe 50-60 years ago bench rifles