Remington 700

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gaeilgeoir, Aug 7, 2011.

1. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Just to clear the fog, im inexperienced, just about as inexperienced as you can get, and was just wondering whether this was a good gun, (308-ish size caliber), i have read and read about it and other guns but living where i do (ireland) it has been piecemeal info, i just want peoples opinions as hopefully i will be buying my first firearm (other than an air rifle) as soon as i move over to the US. I dont know, maybe this is a ridiculous gun to propose (and suggest others if you think of them) but please shed some light, wikipedia etc can only do so much...

2. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

That was on tv a few nights ago here about the gun going off without touching the trigger.I would pass on it and buy a SAVAGE.

3. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Thanks, much appreciated, will have a better look at the site :)

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well i was actually leaning towards a rem, 700 as my next purchase. if there is a problem. a trigger job can fix that. but i doubt it great thing about the 700 is its one of the more customizable bolt rifles. and you are looking at a great caliber in .308. its a nice heavy hitting round that has lots of ammo and versatility. i would def go with it.. but to add to the choice. savage, tikka and winchester also make great rifles.

5. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Haha you see id never heard of tikka before so thanks :) ill have a nice drool over their websites n stuff n plan :) and i do actually like the idea of building or even just tweaking your rifle....

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

those were maladjusted on purpose to do that for the msnbc special to vilefile remington.

remington 700 do NOT misfire just by wiggling the bolt unless the sear adjusting screw has been turned past its stop.

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

308 is a good caliber and the 700r is a great gun.if all you have ever shot is a pellet rifle you may want to shoot a few different calibers before choosing one on hearsay. It would also depend on what you intend to use the gun for.

8. zimm

zimm New Member

I've owned a Remington 700 in .243 for about 15 years and I love it. A few years ago, I bought a Browning Micro Hunter in 7mm-08 and I'm very fond of that as well. I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 and I have to say, I don't like it all that much. It doesn't handle nice, it isn't as accurate as you would expect a Savage to be, and the felt recoil is worse than other rifles I have shot in that caliber.

9. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Haha there seems ta be a lot up to personal preference :p but thank you all for your input :) its good to have first hand opinions :)

10. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

I have a remington 700 in 30-06 that is a very nice rifle .accuracy is great, bolt is smooth, wood is pretty. there is no problem with the trigger [​IMG]

11. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I own a savage, tikka and a rem 700....and the rem 700 is by far my favorite.....dont let the tv fool ya boy-o.....its a great rifle.

12. swissk31

swissk31 New Member

The I have a tikka and a rem. 700 vtr. The bolt on my tikka is smooth like glass. But the Remington has more upgrade options.