Remington 700

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by WhiskeyHotel313, May 31, 2015.

1. WhiskeyHotel313

WhiskeyHotel313 New Member

I'm looking for an affordable remington 700 option to fill the roll that your typical battle rifle can't, while also doubling as a deer hunting rifle, I've been leaning towards the remington 700 sps In 308 but I'm clueless as to what mounts rings scopes and bipods are out there

2. sandog

sandog Member

The 700 SPS is a good choice. More accurate out of the box than most shooters. Mine started out as a heavy barrel SPS (Varmint) .308. I put a H-S Precision stock on it and upgraded the trigger to a Timney.
    The Nikon M308 4-16x scope cost nearly as much as the rifle. The elevation turret is calibrated to a 168 grain Match bullet at 2600 fps. I use the BDC circles for closer under 400 yard shooting, and click the turret up for longer ranges. Comes with a killflash filter.
    You will also do well with a Vortex or Leupold. You can get a good scope for $400 to $600. I personally don't want to spend $2000 for a Nightforce.
    I had never used DNZ (DeadNuts) mounts, but a friend suggested them. I like it, very strong but not massive and heavy like a lot of "Tactical" mounts. Bottom of the rings are one piece with the base, so one less thing to loosen. The bottom and top of the rings connect with very long screws, much longer than normal so more bearing surface in the threads. They also make a "Tactical" mount if you want something more massive and heavier, but my scope is never going to move with their regular Game Reaper mount. I shot this 400 yard 10 shot group right after getting the SPS, on a cold and very windy March North Dakota day:
    [​IMG]
    The SPS Varmint came with a 26 inch barrel:
    [​IMG]
    A couple months ago I cut 5 inches off the barrel, as the 26" was a bit much, so now it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Group shot last week with Sierra 168 Matchking handload at 100 yards. Wish I'd have remembered to fire a fouling shot first, it still turned out to be a 1/2" group:
    [​IMG]
    If used for hunting as well, I would get a regular ( skinny weight barrel) over the bull barrel. It would be just as accurate for the first few shots, and be a lot easier to pack around.

3. WhiskeyHotel313

That's an impressive group there! Ive been looking at a vortex diamondback 4 - 12x40 scope, how much did the mount that you're running cost you

4. sandog

sandog Member

I think the mount ran around $70. A local store had all kinds of DNZ mounts, but none in left hand, so I ordered one direct from DNZ. I have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x AO on my CZ.22 lr. Great scope, bright and clear, but not a ton of eye relief. I used it briefly on my M700 .308, but eye relief was minimal. The Nikon has better eye relief for something that recoils.
    [​IMG]

5. sandog

sandog Member

That's a great price on the Game Reaper!

6. WhiskeyHotel313

I'm on a budget and I'd like to keep the scope around $350 or lower, I won't be shooting at crazy distances

7. sandog

sandog Member

10-4. The Nikon M308 can be had some places for $440. I've seen the Nikon Prostaff 4-16x BDC for $180.

8. WhiskeyHotel313

Do you think the prostaff would be reliable enough for hunting once or twice a year and a possible shtf situation?

9. sandog

sandog Member

Certainly. Nikon's are well made. I've never heard of anyone having problems with them, even their less expensive ones. They also have a good warranty and Customer Service if you would ever need it.

10. WhiskeyHotel313

I can't thank you enough man, you've helped me tremendously

11. WhiskeyHotel313

There's one thing that I found that you may be interested in, it'll take your 308 from 4+1 to 7+1, the SA mag xtender replaces the floor plate and I thought it was pretty cool

12. Rougewolf

Rougewolf Guest

Csn you elaborate on the roll it's filling? Doing what the battle rifle wont?

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

No less than the M series. The difference is in the reticles and the turrets. Prostaff has hunting turrets, short and capped. The M-series has target turrets, tall and exposed. In the field capped turrets are better protected. Prostaff has generally thicker reticles for hunting applications (including shotguns). The M-series offers more sophisticated reticles, suitable for targets. They are also distance-calibrated for the specific caliber (as in M-223 and M-308)

Just a brief outline. The industry moves quicker than our knowledge of it.

14. sandog

sandog Member

I will soon get the H-S bottom metal and detachable 10 round mags, but the SA extender would be less money for sure.