Remington 700 with leupold base question.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Spad2137, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Spad2137

Spad2137 New Member

Ok here's my question, like every other individual that owns a rifle without any vision, I am in the market for some glass. What I have is a basic Remington 700 adl, heavy barrel .308. I added a leupold 2 piece base with the rings that bolt directly in. Now you all are probably shaking you head by now thinking "oh boy here we go again" but I honestly just can't decide what to get. The requirements of my scope are fairly basic and more important, simple. I'm looking for something in the $300-350 range with a 1in tube, nice crosshairs, repeatable adjustments, and mad much clarity as humanly possible. I don't see the need for more than a 10x magnification for my setup but am very open to hear any suggestions. The uses for the rifle will be fairly basic as well. Basically I just want it to be a handy "do anything" kind of rifle. I don't plan on doing much else to the rifles action or stock and am most likely going to keep it stock for the majority of its life. With that being said long term repeated use, mostly target shooting(non-competitive) and a packing for those long days in the woods. Any help would be appreciated, like I said "bells and whistles" is not the style nor the functionality I want from this optic... American made us always a plus and wouldn't mind having an adjustable objective... But I am not 100% percent sure that I need one. Can someone also reiterate on that and what it's basic purpose is?

2. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Lots of good scope look at weaver v16 they have 2 different cross hairs low mag for hunting 16 for target at midway for about 290.00 good luck and it has ao also

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I put a redfield 3-9x40 on my 700 adl and love it. It only cost me about $160 or so and is very clear. I only shoot about 500 yards right now since that's the farthest my shooting area will let me but it was very clear at that range

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Look at swfa.com they have good prices on there Scopes and they have tons of brand to choose from. I like bushell 3200 series and they r around your price range

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

This is the best in your specified price range:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...3Bcat104792580&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

JMHO

6. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Weaver, Burris, or Nikon would all be good choices and I would recommend a 3x9x40 in any of them.

A 3x9x40 has pretty much become the standard all around rifle scope. The lowest setting at 3x has a good field of field and is great for shooting close. You'll understand the advantage of the 9x power when you shoot over 100 yards.

7. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

If putting nice glass on the rifle you might want to look at changing your rings to a Burris Signature series (plastic inserts won't scratch scope).

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Just buy some moleskin and trim it to fit the rings

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Beat me too it. I do not like Leupold bases due to the rear windage adjustment. There is no surefire way to guarantee perfect center. This is acceptable for a hunting rifle, but not for a good scope on a shooter.

10. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Yuuuuup!! Scopes perform at their optical peak when all internal lenses are properly centered. For that reason, Signature Rings accept Pos-Align Offset Inserts.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I observed a gunsmith using a piece of 1 inch steel dowel to align Leupold two piece rings. So, I purchased a stick of 1 inch oak dowel for home use.

I do agree that Burris makes great scopes and excellent mounting systems. I have Burris mounts on my AR's.

Either system will provide a lifetime of great shooting.

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Barstock or a lapping bar will get you close.

I guarantee a scope in Leupold rings will not track as accurately as the same scope in Burris signature zee rings.

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Next time I scope a hunting rifle I'll check out the zee rings. However, I see no need to run out and change rings if I or the OP already have Leupolds on the rifle. MOV is all I need and Leupold is that and more.

MOV = minute of venison.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you have the dual dove tail bases then you can get them straight. If not then ya its kinda hard.

15. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My X bolt with Leupold rings hits the target where I point it and it did the job on the deer I aimed it at in 2010. I don't know what else to expect.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Iv got several sets of both types and ya they are solid pieces of equipment. I put the solid picatinny long bar rail on my warbird build. The two piece bases were to far apart to suit me so i got the one piece type.

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Both sets of Leupold mounts I have utilize the opposing windage screws, aka the Leupold STD style.

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They are good bases no denying that. Mainly for me it depends on the rifle as to what bases i put on it.

19. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I run reg Zee and Signature Zee on everything I keep ;)

On reg Zee I still knock off the points of the rings, and when mounting check everything with alignment tools.

Seen folks use crap tools, or decent tools without fully monitoring the results. A good eye and systematic brain can use a reg 1" steel rod to satisfactory result.

Have seen a bad pair of reg Zees, and some Redfield/Leupold bases and rings that were off, as well as Ruger.

NEVER assume them to be perfect, check them first, with a tool or a Tasco :)

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Most definately agree there