Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on a scope for my Remington 700. It's a 30-06.

Looking for something less than $500 for target shooting.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Good way to open up the optics thread:D

I went "cheap" on one of mine and I am very happy with the choice. Definitely not a NF or a USO, but definitely not the price either. Durable, good glass. Check out the Falcon Menace, may be worth a look. Meets your price break criteria, couple of different models out there. YMMV

·
Registered
299 Posts
who know where you'll want it tp work

Way back I purchased a Weaver 2.5 (a good scope for the money), this was followed by a B&L Balvar 8 (no longer made), and then several Leopolds (excellent guarantee service), then a Atec (sharp image for moderate price), lastly a Bushnell 3200 (because of the "Rainguard" feature). Crawling into a herd of elk during a blizzard and not being able to shoot was frustrating! If I wasn't wiping my glasses, I was trying to clear my scope. Now I've only the glasses to worry about. Good luck 'n have fun.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I put a Nikon on my 700 in 7mm rem mag and have been very happy with it. It is 4.5-14 and has the BDC reticle and was about $400. On the other hand I picked up a Bushnell Banner 3-9x50 for $100 and I am impressed. It seems to be a very good scope and it is very clear. Just my experiances, hope it helps.

·
Banned
13,934 Posts
For target shooting you want power the more the better.

Look at a Weaver v24 6-24x40mm or a Bushnell elite 2400 6-24x40mm.

I have been a target shooter all my life. I grew up shooting custom built bench rifles at targets and squirrels. My dad has a 25-06 is holds MOS (Minute Of Squirrel) out to 400 yards or better.

If you are just shooting off the bench then power is your friend. If this is a multi-use rifle like target shooting and hunting then power is not your friend. find a good 4.5-14 or 5-15 or 4-16 would be good enough for target shooting you can crank it up to the high power but when hunting turn it down to the lower ranges.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Questions and Answers please!?!

For target shooting you want power the more the better.

Look at a Weaver v24 6-24x40mm or a Bushnell elite 2400 6-24x40mm.

I have been a target shooter all my life. I grew up shooting custom built bench rifles at targets and squirrels. My dad has a 25-06 is holds MOS (Minute Of Squirrel) out to 400 yards or better.
If you are just shooting off the bench then power is your friend. If this is a multi-use rifle like target shooting and hunting then power is not your friend. find a good 4.5-14 or 5-15 or 4-16 would be good enough for target shooting you can crank it up to the high power but when hunting turn it down to the lower ranges.
My dad has a 25-06 is holds MOS (Minute Of Squirrel) out to 400 yards or better.

Just curious this MOS is it the squirrels head? With a 25.06? Out to or pass 400 yards? Off the bench with a 24 power scope? What grain and type of bullet and load might you be saying he shoots to accomplish this? Information please?

·
Banned
13,934 Posts
It is off a bench how else do you shoot ground squirrels? Not a 24x scope it is an old 10x lyman. That is shooting a 75gr HP Sierra varminter. I think the load is 46gr of IMR 4895 in old military brass. MOS is where ever you choose to place the corsshairs it will hit.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Based on the ballistic characteristics of the 30-06 I'd go with at least 4X12X50. This should get you out to 200 yds. plus some change.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Just bought a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40mm LR. Part # 55265. I got it for out to 600 yards. Has the "Boone & Crocket" reticle. Cost was $537.97. Has side parallax adjustment. Uses their Ballistic Aiming System. Check out Leupolds web site and watch their traning video for their Ballistic Aiming System. Kinda cool how it works! Just a thought.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Rem. 700 -- You have some serious $$$ invested in a serious rifle.

Now spend some serious scratch on a serious scope. Otherwise, you're putting snow tires on a Ferrari.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A good fixed power would be a weaver 36x there are also some good Bushnell elite scopes they are built by Bausch&Lomb Sightron has some good scopes too all have good glass

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a couple of BSA 3.5x10 x 50 Illuminated scopes for my Win 243 & for my 22/250 rifles.? got them at Midway USA for apx $100.00 bucks & they are fantastic, nice & clear etc. I bought the flip up covers for them also.? Check out the BSA scopes you will not be disappointed.?

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have the same gun and i put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x 40mm scope on it for $160. clear, holds zero well, and won't break the bank. it also has a lifetime guarantee that is pretty good. if it ever malfunctions for any reason, ever, i can send it back and get it repaired/replaced, no receipt required.

for the money it's a great deal.

i posted some targets i shot with this gun in the range report section. (here is the thread)

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
SlamFire said:
Rem. 700 -- You have some serious $$$ invested in a serious rifle.

Now spend some serious scratch on a serious scope. Otherwise, you're putting snow tires on a Ferrari.
There u have it. Cheap optics are just cheap optics, spend less to spend more?? Buy a good quality scope leupold, not the vx1 or the rifleman, the coatings on the glass are the bottom edge, also they are friction not click adjust, or a ziess the conquest is awesome, or spring for a swarovski, leave the cheap optics on cheap rimfires

1 - 20 of 45 Posts