Remington 700 Help Question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by max344, Jan 13, 2014.

1. max344

max344 New Member

Hi Everyone

I just purchased a Remington 700 xcr tactical rifle, when I removed the four receiver plug screws to mount a scope. I noticed the front hole was not as deep as the other three. Is this normal or was the rifle tapped incorrectly? I am new to firearms so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. :)

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

When you go to screw in the scope mount, pay attention to the screw in the shallow hole. Start all the screws, leaving the mount some wiggle room. Tighten the shallow hole screw first, then make sure tightens the mount securely.

3. max344

max344 New Member

so it is normal to have one shallow hole ?

4. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I wouldn't say it's normal but honestly I've never paid it much attention. It shouldn't be an issue at all so long as the screw for the base screws all the way down. Good luck and congrats on the new rifle! :)

5. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

After you've assured yourself the base screws tighten normally, don't forget to use a drop of blue loctite. (dont use red or you'll never get the screws out) so they dont loosen over time.

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

if I wanted to know that for sure, I'd call Remington customer service 1 (800) 243-9700

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not on my 700, but I've seen such small inconsistencies on other firearms. If you can secure the scope base, more than likely the rifle is gtg.

8. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

I have a newer (maybe 3 years old) 700 CDL with the same shallow hole. I purchased Leupold bases for it that came with an extra mounting screw that was shorter than the rest. Guess where I put that sucker? I just assumed that was normal...

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

An educated guess: its a result of a hurried CNC program.

Edit: being the front hole is shallow, it might be intentional to keep more metal on the receiver = more strength where it counts.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  10. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Congrats Max for your new rifle. And it is perfectly normal to have that shallow hole. It should not be a matter to worry about.
    All the best for the use of the rifle!

11. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

My guess is the most forward hole has barrel threads at the bottom ;)

12. max344

max344 New Member

Just checked, you are right...... Thank you :)

13. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

The front screws are usually short due to the thickness so the action and the longer screws normally will touch the bolt or extend too far in the action. You can feel the screw extends inside the action.