Firearms Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Before you buy new parts, you could remove the ejector and then try it in the gun. That way you remove one more item from the list of possible reasons for the failure.
I have seen very similar symptoms in 700's stuck ejectors. It may be a good idea to make sure the ejector is right.

·
Administrator
25,998 Posts
Note from Admin- moved your thread to the Rifle section- you posted in the section that deals with software for the forum. No harm, no foul- just a better place for your question

·
Supporting Member
11,785 Posts
Mowgli
The Extractors on the Remington 788s were the weakest point of the rifle. A flimsy spring steel piece! However they are one fine shooting little rifles.
Those who have one it would probably be good to have a spare one for their rifle/s.

Reactions: Mowgli Terry

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Extractors on the Remington 788s were the weakest point of the rifle.
I'm still working on this one: I just picked this rifle up in a trade. The ejector is very strong. The case comes out of the chamber. The case then falls back into the action. I've not had this happen with my 700's. Bubba may have worked on this extractor. There is no mark on a case head of the ejector rubbing. It's not a jammed ejector. OP's extractor would not had a rivet.

The rifle is shootable. I'm going to try a few rounds tomorrow. The holdup is having the means of spreading a rivet. Kroil has been applied to extractor and ejector. What would have happened to the current entry rifle race had Remington re-introduced the 788? Wordy:eek:

·
Registered
436 Posts
The 788 extracted and ejected well enough to use. In the meantime, I'm hunting local place that can replace the extractor.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts