Remington 700 extraction issues

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by BigSky country, Oct 17, 2020.

1. BigSky country

BigSky country New Member

Hi all, first time posting here and in need of some help. I attempted my first at home bolt gun build today. Using a brand new Remington Firearms 85320 700 Ultra Magnum Long Action Stainless Steel. with a criterion 28" bull barrel chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. I didn't have any issues putting the rifle together with the belted magnum go/no-go gauges. However the rifle is not ejecting. It seems like the extractor is not grabbing onto the brass, and its not because of hot loads or anything like that, I have yet to shoot it. it's not grabbing onto a dumby round I put into it. Sometimes it pulls the case back half way and the other it just leaves it in the chamber. if I just tilt the barrel up the case slides out freely. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skylar.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Do you have the correct bolt-face?
    Take the bolt out and try a real cartridge in the bolt face to see if the extractor grabs the cartridge.

OLD Ron, Mercator and Rifling82 like this.

3. BigSky country

yes I believe I do, I also have a factory Remington 700 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and the bolt faces have the same diameter for .540 inches. the bolt of the new action is able to grab the bullet when I place a cartridge there. Also I put the bolt from my other rifle into this new build and there doesn't seem to be any issues. so I feel like its an issue with the new bolt just not sure what.

Skylar.

Edit: I tried the go/no-go gauges in the new action with the my older bolt. the go gauge did not chamber. I also tried the go gauge with my new bolt in my older action and the no-go gauge. go gauge chambered, no-go gauge did not.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  4. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Subscribed. I have thought of doing a bolt build so this is a very interesting topic. Good luck finding the solution.;)

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

The extractor is one of the reasons I've never bought a Remington 700, I like Winchester and Ruger extractors.

6. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

What caliber was the old bolt originally for?

7. BigSky country

7mm Rem Mag, same caliber.

8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Headspace then? The bolts are not identical?

9. BigSky country

both bolts have the same inner diameter .540 inches. the bolt closed on go gauge didn't close on no-go. I took of the barrel and put it back on just to see if that helped at all but same result.

Skylar

10. DHall_37

DHall_37 Member

I am no expert on the Remington 700 by any means but this might help. From what I read a magnum cartridge needs a bolt face of .585 not .540.
    IMG_3581.jpg

11. BigSky country

This is what I have found

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540 +/-
    257 Weatherby
    264 Win Mag
    270 weatherby Mag
    7mm Remington Mag
    7mm Weatherby Mag
    7 STW
    7mm Remington Ultra Mag
    300 H & H
    300 Winchester Mag
    300 Weatherby Mag
    300 RUM
    303 Brit
    8mm Remington Mag
    338 Winchester Mag
    340 Weatherby Mag
    338 RUM
    375 H & H
    375 Weatherby
    375 RUM
    416 Remington Mag
    458 Winchester Mag
    458 Lott

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .585 +/-
    30/378 Weatherby
    338 Lapua
    338/378 Weatherby
    378 Weatherby mag
    416 Rigby
    416 Weatherby Mag
    460 Weatherby Mag
    470 Nitro Express

12. DHall_37

DHall_37 Member

Hmmmm, thats very strange you could always try a .585 bolt, but I doubt you wanna buy something for a test that may or may not work. I usually deal with older firearms Mausers and Carcanos so I’ll give a little food for thought.

Is the bolt face clean?
    Is the extractor claw clean underneath and not chipped?
    What conditions is the chamber in?
    Could it snag on something in the chamber or crown?
    How flush is the magazine?
    When you extract a cartridge does it hit the magazine follower or any other obstruction?
    What shape is the ejector in?
    I’m not familiar with a Remington 700 ejector but could it some how be stuck and be pushing the cartridge out?

If you could post some pictures too that would be great! Folks here really like pictures.

13. BigSky country

Is the bolt face clean? Yes brand new bolt, action, and barrel.
    Is the extractor claw clean underneath and not chipped? clean and not chipped
    What conditions is the chamber in? brand new
    Could it snag on something in the chamber or crown? not sure
    How flush is the magazine? flush, problem persists with and without mag.
    When you extract a cartridge does it hit the magazine follower or any other obstruction? most of the time it just stays in the barrel but sometimes it comes halfway out
    What shape is the ejector in? brand new
    I’m not familiar with a Remington 700 ejector but could it some how be stuck and be pushing the cartridge out?

Attached Files:

14. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

The Ultra Mag bolt face/extractor is bigger that the Standard Magnum bolt face used fir cartridges like 7mm RemMag Ana 300 WinMag. It’s meant for cartridges like the 300 and 338 RUM which have a larger rim.

15. BigSky country

I have another Rem 700 chambered in 7mm rem mag. the bolt from the gun and the new bolt I am having troubles with both have a bolt face diameter of .540. Is there another difference that I am missing? Because all of my research has the 7mm Rem mag and 300 RUM using the same bolt.

16. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

The rim on the
    The rim on the RUM is .534 vs .532 for the standard mags. Not a HUGE difference but enough that it could cause the issue, but I’m doing all this from memory so I could be wrong... You might just have a bad extractor. It as a $17 part that’s easily replaced.

17. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

The rim on the
    The rim on the RUM is .534 vs .532 for the standard mags. Not a HUGE difference but enough that it could cause the issue, but I’m doing all this from memory so I could be wrong... You might just have a bad extractor. It as a $17 part that’s easily replaced.

alsaqr and OLD Ron like this.
  18. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Ooops double tap. Sorry...

OLD Ron likes this.
  19. BigSky country

they are only a .002 difference, I'll try a new extractor just kind of bummed if that's the issue on a brand new action/bolt. but Remington has gone downhill......

DHall_37 likes this.
  20. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Before you buy new parts, you could remove the ejector and then try it in the gun. That way you remove one more item from the list of possible reasons for the failure.

Mowgli Terry likes this.