Remington 700 .308cal any sugestions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by griffin81, Sep 22, 2011.

1. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Have a Remington tactical 700 .308cal ad I'm kind of wanting some opinions of how it looks I know I need a better scope than whats on it now but it holds zero well at 200 yards.

image-461068178.jpg

image-2560364009.jpg

image-1560470333.jpg

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Not a bad looking stick.

Is the camo painted on,or has it been dipped?

3. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

It's actually tape on the stock I did and cloth on the barrel and scope. Also tape on the flash suppressor. I have a friend that has a shop dipping and hope to have them do this stock asap. They have a extra stock of mine, as a test stock, to see how it comes out.

let the bullets do the talking!

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not bad for tape! my suggestion is put a good quality scope on that rifle and start reloading for it and find a load that thr rifle likes. you have a good platform in which to build a very accurate rifle and there is a lot of parts and accessories for the remington m700. i own several and have had many over the years. the remington m700 is and will always be one of my favorites. figure out what you are after and the suggestions will follow. let us know what you aare hoping to achieve and we can make better suggestions for you.

5. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I really want to push this Rifle to shoot accurately as far as possible. I have a area I can shoot it, on some family land, that I have ranged out to 700+ yards and I'd like to be able to punch some holes on a wind free day. this is gonna be a target gun only I've been shooting 150s out of it and they haven't been as great as I want, 168BTH tap ammo really seem to do well and hold really tight at 200. I've been looking for a good scope under $700.00 with mil dots. I've been looking towards a nikon for the $ the glass looks good. I'm just not sure what power I would need to see a target at 700+ yards.

6. NativH

NativH New Member

I've been hearing pretty good things about the Vortex Viper PST line of scopes from my FFL lately. He is pushing, ok cajoling, me towards the Viper PST 6-24X50 for my AR10 for long range antics. MSRP is $849 but you could probably get to your number for a street price, or close. It is a 30mm with either a MOA or MRAD reticle. Might be just the ticket on your 700 also.

7. Axxe55

look at Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex scopes. i'm in the process of building a target rifle on a remington M700 action (6.5mm-06 A-Square) and i'm leaning towards a Nightforce 12-42x56 scope for mine. of course all my ammo will have to be handloads as no one makes ammo for this caliber. you need to get into reloading. this will allow you to fine tune your ammo to your rifle. this is where you will be able to pick up some accuracy from your rifle. you already have a good foundation for an accurate rifle, you just need to fine tune it! have fun!

8. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

That's not a bad price! However my wife feels different about that. And that's why i am leaning toward the nikon scope it's all about the $. the image is clear and clean but I'm not familiar with them enough to buy one without some guidance.

9. Axxe55

nikon makes great scopes and i have a couple and have had a few over the years. they are clear and do their job. now the downside is that nikon makes their scopes more tailored towards hunters and hunting rifles. whereas some of the others offer a more tactical type scopes in their lineup of products. check out Midway, they have an excellent selection of scopes. but if you decide on the nikon, you will still have a great scope and could put it on another rifle later if you decide to upgrade at a future time.

10. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Anyone tried a swift premier mil dot-SRP687M. Its a 4.5-14x,44mm. I look at one yesterday and liked it better than the nikon I was looking at. And it's $230.00 I've used swift scopes on all my hunting rifles in the past but never a mil dot any help wool be greatly appreciated!

11. ahole

ahole New Member

I personally prefer ATN or Zeiss

12. Axxe55

i have a swift premier 6-24x50 on my 7mm-08 rifle and it is nice. i'm going to pick up my swift 8-32x50 scope today for my 308, that has been on backorder for the last three months. i had never heard of swift scopes before eight months ago. my gun dealer suggested one when i purchased my new 7mm-08. i have been very pleased with it so far. very clear scope at a decent price. you might give the swift some consideration, as IMO, they are good scopes for the price.