Remington 700 .308 to 7/08.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Slee1195, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

Well after a misfortunate event the barrel and stock have been completely destroyed. After doing some research I've come to the conclusion that I want to rebuild the rifle, for it was my first deer gun. Because the .308 is the parent case of the 7mm-08, does that mean that all I would need is a new barrel? If you could just give me an idea of everything that would be done it would be much appreciated. Thanks for any information ahead of time.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Slee,

I think before we can give you an educated answer or correct advise we would need to know a little more about what the gun was subjected to. And how the barrel and the stock was destroyed?

Sniper03

3. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

I rolled my 4 runner onto it. The barrel is at a 45 and the stock broke at the swivel stud. Other than that everything is fine, but I wouldn't trust the optic though

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Slee,

That makes sense! We are always concerned when we receive these questions that the weapon might have been damaged in a fire which would also change the temper of the receiver as well. But yes you could get another barrel for your receiver. But when installed you must be able to have it checked for Head Space! This is important. As far as the bolt and receiver you are good to go there. Is the bolt still functioning flawlessly in the receiver as smooth as it always was. From your description the receiver was not damaged at all? The stock obviously is no problem. But Head Spacing the new Barrel is a must.

5. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

Yes the bolt still functions perfectly. All of the damages seem to have been from the swivel stud upward to the end of the barrel. So it sounds like head spacing and a new barrel would be the only things I'd have to worry about. I plan on taking it to a smith. I was just making sure I wasn't getting in to far over my head, but it seems like it shouldn't be too painful. Thanks again.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Isn't .308 more available than 7/08?

Where are you getting the barrel from?

If it were mine, I would try to put it back to original. Unless the 7/08 can do something magical that the parent cartridge cannot.

7. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

danf_fl, yes I was debating on making it back into a 308, but after inheriting another 308 from my grandfather I'm just looking for a little more variety. Plus what I I've read the 7/08 seems a little more ethical to use on deer than the 308. I was also debating on turning it into a 300wsm for use on elk but was told that it wouldn't work by a local gun Smith. As for 308 being more available than 7/08, there's no doubt about that but I reload so it shouldn't be that big of an issue

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i own both the 308 and a 7mm-08. i bought my first ever 7mm-08 about four years ago and have owned various rifles in 308 for over twenty years. as that you have another rifle in 308, IMO, i don't think you will regret changing that one to 7mm-08. in fact, i think you will really like it a lot. my Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 is probably one of my most shot rifles. i probably reload more ammo for it than any other rifle i own.

so i have to give my hearty recommendation for changing it to a 7mm-08.

9. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

your hearty recommendation is highly appreciated. Since you reload, have any proven loads. I generally reload with with 4350?

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i use mainly IMR4350 and IMR4895 and use Speer and Sierra 120 gr. and 140 gr bullets with great results. i did have a 120 gr load using IMR4064 that was showing some great promise too.

the loads i use come from the 6th edition of the Nosler reloading manual, if you would like to try them out.

11. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

Alright, it's always nice to have a good place to start. And hopefully I'm going to make it to the Smith today

12. natman

natman Member

This has got to be the silliest thing I've read on the internet in quite some time.

No deer is going know the difference.

It's an easy conversion, all you need is a gunsmith to install a new barrel. If you want to do it for variety, or just for the heck of it, fine, but don't delude yourself that you've somehow gained "ethical points" by converting.

13. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

Honestly I'd shoot the ****ers with a 338 win mag, I just like to be able to get more than just burger out of it. ;)

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I still would vote for rebuilding it as .308 and let your reloading provide you the variety.

Hoarding Ammo will be easier too :)

15. natman

natman Member

I have no idea what you've been reading, but here's the truth. The 308 and the 7mm/08 are very similar cartridges. The only difference is 24 thousandths of an inch of bullet diameter. Both are superb deer cartridges, just about ideal for the task and "ethical" beyond intelligent argument. Trying to decide with is better for deer is a thought exercise akin to arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Pick whichever you like and go hunting.

16. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

Guys, there's no doubt that I'm making a 7mm-08 out of the rifle. I had that decided before I made this post. The whole point of this thread was to find out what would need to be done and potential problems that could arise, not to do with machining and other human error, but the fact if it could be done or not. Simply put I'm not interested in what round you think is better, hence the whole "gunsmithing forum" that this thread is under. I do respect all of the input you guys have put in, it's just not the kind I'm looking for.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Have you been to the smith yet? Find a barrel? Do keep us posted. I am interested. I am a reloader. And I have several wildcat cartridge barrels for my Contender that I load for.

18. Slee1195

Slee1195 New Member

I went to several the other day, I was hoping I'd get lucky and one might have a barrel on stock but that didn't happen. Right now I'm looking around for barrels and a stock. I found a gunsmith that I'm going to take everything to. I want a stock that's as light weight as possible because it will be my go-to hunting rifle, at least for deer that is, any ideas? I'm on a budget so anything 250 and under would be great.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

How common is the 7mm-08? Are barrels hard to find? Wow that is some pricy brass. I just looked at midwayusa. That is more than $1 a round just for brass! And most of it says, "out of stock-no back order". Are you planning on making it from 308 brass?