Remington 597

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Dave103176, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

Hey all i dont know if there has been a post on this yet and i just havent found it but thought i would give everyone a heads up on the Rem 597 22 lr , i bought one sunday for my daughter cause her birthday is close and she seen and liked it , we went out monday to shoot and bag it in for her , after about 50 rounds the bolt upon closing detonated a round before being fully closed causing small springs and it looks like whats left of the extractor to hit her in the side o the face , i called Rem this morning and they are refunding our money but its going to take 2 months to get WTF and my daughter is out of a gun not hirt or anything but scared to death now and rem says its a common problem with those guns , i will never own another one and my daughter said she dosent want to shoot any more , thought i would let you all know of Rems poor quality

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Could you post pictures of the damaged gun?
    Glad your girl isn't hurt.

3. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

I sure can post pics for you all , kind of busy this min but i will get them up tonight for everyone to see , it really sucks that my daughter and hunting buddy dosent want to go now due to this

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It may take some time but I'm sure you'll get her back on the horse.

5. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

the spring and round , the spring and something else flew out of the gun and hit her the round was as you see it in the gun

image-2272801821.jpg

Attached Files:

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Wow. A sticky thread may be in order. If this is a common issue everyone should know about it.

7. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

Hey mountainman , sorry it took so long to get the pics up , been a busy day here with dealing with that and going to the dr to get shots in my back , the rem CSR i spoke with said thats a common issue with those guns and ive been up most of the night due mostly to my arthritis so ive had a lot of time to read on the net and many people have had the same issue with them , i wish i would have done some research before buying it , it was pretty scary when she yelled and said things hit her in the face , for a few reasons one she is an amateur model and if she gets scar's on her face they wont use her anymore but mostly just being a parent and hearing her yell was enough to stop my heart for a second till we decided she was ok , as a parent its really upsetting knowing it was her birthday present and now she has to wait till rem gets the gun back and we get our money back to be able to buy her another which she dosent want now , it really breaks my heart that shes that scared now but i understand also uhh man am i frustrated by this

8. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

They had problems with the 17HMR in that rifle and they stopped making them in that and for and other reasons. I used to sell guns at Dicks and Bass Pro and when people came in and asked about that rifle I did my best to stear them away from it. I am awful sorry that happened to your daughter, she will recover and U will have your hunting buddy back.
    Buy a Marlin 60 or a Ruger 10-22,I am partial to the 60. Cliff

9. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

Thanks alot mrt , i appreciate it , we have several 10/22's but she wanted another one for her birthday , with money being tight with me being laid off i sold my 40 to get it for her and now feel really awful about the whole mess

10. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife bought a Rem 597 for our youngest son without conferring with me. She thought she was being a smart shopper saving $100. Right out of the box the 597 was a mistake. The rear sights had to be moved way off center just to line up with the fixed front sight in order to shoot straight. And then one feed/extraction/jamming problem after another. I'm sorry you were laid off. My advice is, save up another C-note, trade the 597 in for a 10/22.

11. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

rem is fully refunding money but we have to wait plus they are paying for shipping i just have to take it to the local ups hub which is no biggie it just sucks though that they know they are garbage guns and dont do anything about it

12. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Dave103176 I understand your dilemma, give me a call 978-424-7024

13. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Holy hell. I have a couple older 597s from around 1999-2000. About 1200 rounds through each of them without much problem. I've heard that they weren't the highest quality, but in my experience were decent plinkers, even with the plastic magazines. Doesn't look like I'll be taking them out anytime soon after reading this.

It's a shame. Besides the 597s I have a couple 700s. They were decent, but I've read so much about how their quality control has slipped that I doubt I'll be getting any other Remingtons in the future. It's not like a mobile or a laptop that lasts just three or four years. I expect that I can one day hand my rifles down to my kids and grandkids, and I don't hand down anything that could endanger them.

14. Ohio16pt

Ohio16pt New Member

I have a 597 that I got about 5 years ago and have never had an issue. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter and glad she didn't get hurt!

15. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

Mrt ill have to give you a ring tomorrow afternoon i hot busy with the wife here tonight and the in laws , if you let me know a good time to call ill give you a ring or you can call me anytime tomorrow my number is 5404506690 , anytime after 8am is good , i appreciate everyones kind words , i really just wanted to let everyone know about rems poor quality so no one else gets hurt or has to go through what we did as a parent it was pretty scary for a min or two and then just upsetting afterwards , again thank to everyone ! p

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thank you for the heads up. I'm very glad your daughter is ok. As a parent (although mine are still very young) my heart still stops when my little girl cries in pain (bumping her head and whatnot). I feel for you, but thank God she's ok. It could have been very bad.

Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter? I only ask because I believe there's probably plenty of time for her to come around and get back into guns.

Good luck!

17. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

your welcome JW , once i had the few min i wanted to make sure i got what happened here on the forum to let everyone know , i figured it would be seen and passed around really fast like this and hopefully it will keep someone from getting seriously hurt . My daughter is 12 , she has been going in the woods and shooting and hunting almost from the time she was born , it has been either me or uncle carl taking her or grampy lol , and im sure she will change her mind or i hope she will , she is an amateur model and if she gets any scars on her face they wont use her anymore , the company she works for is really strict she is only allowed certain makeups and colors its kind of crazy to me lol ehh it keeps her happy and she makes a little money for college so im not going to complain lol i put a pic up of her her in a min Again thank you to everyone for the kind words and asking about her that means alot

18. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

Here are a few pics of her , this was a week or two ago
    image-713460496.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

another pic of her , she hate when me and mom take pics so she acts silly in most of ours hard to believe she is only 12 and is 5'6" if she wears heals she's as tall or taller than me lol but thats my baby
    image-1376663205.jpg

20. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

We have a Remington 597 and it has been great for a few thousand rounds at this point. I bought it because at the time I couldn't find any Marlins and I was afraid that the 10/22 would always be a work in progress :)

From what I've read on this and other boards, a 597 that works, is pretty good, but there are a lot of anecdotes of failures. Quality control?