Remington 597

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by samrvincent, Nov 18, 2012.

1. samrvincent

samrvincent New Member

I'm getting my first gun, a Remington 597, and I'm looking for some pros/cons and advice about the gun in general.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Pros-cheap fairly accurate rifle.
    Cons-trigger stiff as an anvil, cheap crappy metal, pain in the ass to put back together, after 2500 rounds springs get weak, fail to feeds or fires out of the box are usually 3-6 out of 10. Basically you would be better suited buying a marlin 795 or model 60, ruger 10/22, or savage 22 than the 597

3. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I would avoid the 597 unless you want a 22 wmr. Right out of the box a Marlin model 60 will shoot 1" or smaller groups. I have a 37 year old model 60 that has literally fired hundreds of thousands of rounds. All I have had to do to it is reload and clean it. My idea of cleaning it is remove the stock and give it a hot water bath.

I also have a Ruger 10/22. it's a very good gun. But I have close to $400 in it. The Ruger is more difficult to maintain. After all the after market parts it shoots as good as my model 60.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  4. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I bought a Remington 597 and have never experienced what you guys have. I bought it brand new blue steel synthetic stock. Got it online for 120 dollars plus all the other fees....

It has been nothing but a great gun. Never a FTF or FTE, and I have shot thousands of rounds through it. Only cleaned a handfull of times. Kind of a pain to disassemble but not too bad. I love it, and I would rebuy it over any three of my 10/22s. Only reason I have any 10/22s is for customization.

5. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Regarding the manner in which they handled the debacle with the 597 in 17 HMR Remington can go bark at the Moon and or pound sand. Look at the Marlin or Savage you will not be disappointed. Cliff

6. WhaleNoises

WhaleNoises New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWmXqzloIM[/ame] he is a renound weapons reviewer on YouTube and he said it's a good gun.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

8. Tyranta597

Tyranta597 New Member

I have a 597 and I like it. I would avoid the bulk ammo though, a lot of fte/ftf's, but the CCI Mini Mags have done well. I also like the fact that it holds the bolt open on the last round so you don't have to guess when your mag is empty. Also, if you're interested in turning it in to an AR style gun, there's the Archangel 597 mod available for it too. Good luck with your new gun!

9. WhaleNoises

WhaleNoises New Member

Ya I would say the 10/22 is the best, but it doesn't have than bolt hold open so it's not. The second best is the Marlin 60 but it's tube fed and that sucks. The next choice is the 597. It has a magazine bolt hold open, some aftermarket stuff, and it's inexpensive and fairly accurate out of the box. It wins my vote. Now if they put a bolt hold open on that 10/22 then it's a different story.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They have. All new ones are supposed to lock open when the mags empty. Idk haven't shot a NEW one yet.

11. WhaleNoises

WhaleNoises New Member

Woot Woot! If that's the case I'll sell mine and get a new one, or keep it and give it to my one of my kids when they are older.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

To be honest I don't know why people like that idea so much except as a safety thing for kids.

13. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

It is the company behind the firearm,and I am not impressed with Remington and how they dealt with the problems with 700 & the 597 with their magazines and and in the .17HMR. This is just my opinion.:rolleyes: Cliff

14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I had a million issues with my .597. I used it as a chance to start working on guns, and now it runs like a champ. I've read countless stories about the original magazines being the problem, and I believe it, as when I bought a new 30 round magazine, the problems vanished.

I free floated the barrel, polished the internals and took a stone to the trigger, as well as painted it.

Check out volquartzen. They make tons of aftermarket things for the 597.

I went from hating this rifle to using it the most. Hopefully you get a good one... But keep in mind, I bought mine in 1998, so I'm sure any issues have been worked out by the factory.

Also, I wrote Remington about my issues and they promptly offered to send me free magazines, so I think the company is solid.

15. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I haven't done this, but somebody put a trigger shoe used for paintball guns on their 597 trigger and they claim that it feels like the trigger is lighter. I wanted to try this myself. Just making the idea known. :)

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Because it has a larger surface area, distributing the pressure of your finger. I polished and radiused the trigger on my old Smith and Wesson for the same effect.

Now I'm wondering about doing that to my 1911...