Remington 597

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SixGunsRattlesnake, Feb 23, 2014.

1. SixGunsRattlesnake

SixGunsRattlesnake New Member

Got one the other day, with 2,500 rounds of ammo in a trade for a Savage axis that I was very tired of.

Anyway. I had one years ago and remember it had feed/eject issues. Took this one out and found the same issues exist. Anyone else?
    Wondering if a heavier bolt would help. It seems that the last 1/3 of the bolt cycle is stiffer than the rest. Picked it up to have a squirrel gun and a trainer for my kids, but its kind of depressing to have to emphasize so much on malfunctions and rectifying them.

Sent from my Z750C using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. SixGunsRattlesnake

Here it is for those who care.

Attached Files:

3. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Just don't get it. I have had one for 5 or mote years. No real problems with it. Keep it clean is the only thing I have done. Wish I could help.

Sent from my ADR6410LRA using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Rattle
    Not knowing your past rifle, I would have suggested polishing the guide rods, esp up front. Hope this one won't need any.

5. Partridge02

Partridge02 New Member

My buddy had one that malfunctioned so much the breach face was dimpled into the chamber causing even more malfunctions. take it apart, check everything, i.e. breach face, guide rod alignment, guide rod torque(you don't want them tight but I found that just backing them out a quarter turn or so helped), and general cleanliness. Reassemble and try it out.

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. SixGunsRattlesnake

I clean my firearms religiously. I'm gonna disassemble clean and go see what happens, again. Might be the mag? I should have bought a 10/22

7. Apyl

Apyl New Member

We have two. My husbands 597 has feed issues, his is maybe 7 years old. Mine , I have yet to have an issue and its 3 years old. Not sure whats causiing the feed issues and no matter what ammo he puts thru his , it still happens. As for us its deffinitly not a cleaning issue. All our guns are babied and cleaned after every shooting.

8. SixGunsRattlesnake

Well this is testing my patience. I took it down and cleaned it good. Took it out and did some shooting. Every 3rd or 4th round at best it had a failure to feed, eject, fire. I'm done. I should have bought a 10/22. I'm going to sell this POS and invest my money in a River.

9. SixGunsRattlesnake

Ruger. I don't intend to invest in a river. Unless.....

10. Partridge02

Partridge02 New Member

I think you can get it running. Look up some forums. They are very simple to work on.

11. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

do you have the circle 10 mags ? if they dont have a circle and a 10 somewhere on the magazine you probly have the gen 1 junk mags . Circle 10 mags are cheap enough on ebay and may solve your problem .

12. SixGunsRattlesnake

Well mag issues were my first thought. But it is also chambering a round cleanly but not firing. As if the bolt is cycling far enough to chamber but not enough to reset the firing pin. I have a 30 round and an 8 round mag.

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

My newer model 597 feeds well but when it gets dirty sometimes it will hold open even when there is one round left in the mag, but I've noticed it only happens with one of the mags. I think the older 597s are just plauged with issues.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

The one we have has been a complete pain in the a$$. For the first few months it was great now its always fail to eject, fail to extract, and double feeds. I polished parts of the bolt and the guide rods and it got a little better now its usually just double feeds. But I think a new extractor might help me out too. Im with you, 10/22 would be a better choice but I will not give up on this gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. SixGunsRattlesnake

Oh im giving up on it alright. Found a new 10/22 at my LGS for $290 OTD and I'm dying to get down there

16. Partridge02

Partridge02 New Member

Sent you a message six guns.

17. priell3

priell3 New Member

I had a 597 that I bought many years ago. It never cycled properly from Day 1. It got sick of it quick and it sat in the gun safe for years.

I decided to give it another try with different mags, and all of the tweaks and polishing tricks. Still no joy. I traded it at a LGS for $100 (pretty much what I paid for it at Walmart) and got a Savage Mark II FV-SR. Now I can shoot with joy.