Remington 597 jamming

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by beastmode986, Jan 20, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So I just cleaned this the other day, wiped it down, and added a very light coat of oil to the bolt and guide rods. Today while shooting it it kept jamming after about 100rds. Any idea whats causing this?

On the second picture heres what happened, it extracted the round but didnt eject so I pulled the charging handle(bullet didnt land there I placed it)
    The gun tried to rechamber a round but the brass from the previous shot was still stuck in the chamber.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390202939.533048.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390202953.665819.jpg

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Could be the ammo, could be the mag, or it could be something with the gun itself.

What kind of ammo were you using? What kind of mag? Hvae you tried the gun with other mags? Does anything on the bolt look damaged or worn in any way?

Was it only jamming once every 100 rounds, or did it just start constantly jamming after 100 rounds?

3. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Jamming like every other mag after 100 rds, I was shooting Remington golden bullets and used factory mags. I tried other magazines all had this problem some more than others so it seems

4. Cheever

Cheever New Member

It really looks like your extractor is missing. Are you sure it didn't get accidentaly removed. I expect to see the extractor, a plunger, and a spring as pointed out in the picture below

Attached Files:

• 597.jpg
      597.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  5. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Your right! It probably is missing! Ill have to make sure in the morning. I have no clue how it could have came off though
    . Since its most likely missing, what parts do I need? A spring and new extractor right ? My brother and his friend (who aren't good with guns) shot all the guns today. Needless to say, the 1911 has new marks on it and the mag wont drop freely. Now my extractor is missing. At least my shotguns ok! Lol Guess we need to pay even closer attention to them. Although, I'm probably the one who lost it.

6. Cheever

Cheever New Member

Extraxctor, Extractor Spring, and Extractor Plunger according to an exploded view on Brownells

7. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

My 597 used to jam with hollow Points in the plastic magazine. With cheaper ammo I used to get either failure to feed, or failure to extract. Replaced it with a metal magazine and when I shot hollowpoint I used premium and and only shot fmj with the cheap stuff. Seemed to work for a while but I ended up selling the rifle. Nvm I just looked at that last pic and it definitely looks like your extractor is missing. Wow.

8. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Yes. Extractor missing. I will take a pic of mine later for you

Sent from my ADR6410LRA using Firearms Talk mobile app

9. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

It is not missing, I just looked at the gun. Its pushed in or something. Heres a picture.
    I tried pushing it back but the spring keeps it in the position. The metal is a pair of pliers i put in front of the bolt to hold it open. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390277675.657976.jpg

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

how new is it and did you buy it new?

if you bought it new, might call Remington and see if it's still under warranty.

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So I think I found the problem, I just cleaned it really good and when I put it together (without the trigger assembly yet) and when I guide the bolt forward it does not sit flush, it leaves a small gap. If I let the bolt slam forward or put some pressure on it its closes. Could this be the problem?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014