Remington 597, Any Good?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Deagonx, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Deagonx

Deagonx New Member

I've got 125$ Saved up from my birthday last week (It was the 21st)

I'm looking into getting a Remington 597 .22 rounds. Is anyone here experienced with the Remington 597? I won't really be hunting much. Maybe just shooting ground squirrels near bristol when I have the time to drive out there.

2. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

i have the 597 with the vrt stock. it jams with the remington or winchester valve pack ammo but if you use (i forget what ammo it is. pm if you get the gun ill do the research and tell you)
    other than that its a pretty good gun

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you can find a used ruger 10/22 for about the same money that would be a better long term rifle. Easy to upgrade, not so with the so very average rem. 597.

4. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

I bought a 597 VTR this summer and after 1500 rounds with just one FTE it is working flawlessly and is very accurate. The Ruger 10-22 is also an excellent rifle. Just a matter of which one you prefer to own.

5. kansas45

kansas45 Member

At first I liked mine. Then I had some trouble with feeding & the ejector fell out. All of that was easily fixed & now, two years & a lot of rounds later I can say that I really like my 597.

6. whgudowrk

whgudowrk New Member

I purchased the one I have for less then that . I have had it for about 5 years now and at the time of purchase I think I paid 28.00 .:eek:
    And yes I filled out all the paper work for it . I worked for a place that sold fire arms and when they had something that was sent back to be fixed and came back with nothing done . I would check it out and when they offered me the chance to purchase it I would. I miss not selling fire arms or should I say I miss getting them cheep.
    The only reason that it was sent back to be fixed was after the last shell was fired there was a safty built in the clip that kept the gun from being dry fired. And no one knew this. :rolleyes:

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I've had a 597 for about 3 years now, the "target" model, and Ilove it. It gets a tad tempermental after 2 or 300 rounds an hour, but it's got like 2K through it at least, and still runs like a dream. It fires everything from high velocity/bulk ammo, to winchester subsonics, and pretty well I might add:)

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

We had a lot of jamming and misfeed problems with ours, regardless of ammo make and despite keeping it clean enough to eat off. The boltrails and springs are a b*tch to get back in.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  9. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

I bought mine "lightly used" from GunBroker. I had read about some of the issues, tips & advice concerning the 597 so I was prepared to do a little bit of work to insure reliability & proper function. The biggest problem seems to be that the set screws that hold the bolt rails in place are over-tightened. They should be just touching the rails and Loc-tited (blue!). Another thing I did was polish the snot out of the rails & stone and polish the under side of the bolt. I also like to use a moly grease on rails, etc. when I'm breaking in a new gun. But, YMMV...
    I've only had time to take it out once so far, but it shot ~100 rounds with ZERO problems. Even with the cheapo factory scope & pretty heavy trigger, I was able to shoot several <.5" groups with CCI SV. :D It was also pretty accurate with Mini-Mags, not too bad with Lightnings & Blazers & so-so with Federal 750s.

10. genconex

genconex New Member

I have a 597 that I picked up as a compulsive buy. I just wanted a relatively inexpensive rifle that fires inexpensive ammo. I believe it is worth it.
    First thing I did when I took it home was polish everything down to shinny metal and free float the barrel. I have had no issues.
    I read somewhere that people were having issues with their mags, especially not holding all 10 rounds. I have had no real issues with them. One of them was a little tight and would only hold 8 rounds at first (I bought a couple extra just because it makes it easier for me to pop off 10 and then my wife can do the same thing while I reload my mag). It just needed to be broken in a little. Took me a few min in order to get it to hold all 10. Just kept putting rounds in and taking them out until all 10 fit. Then I left the mag filled for a week or so to help compress the spring a little. Now it takes all 10 with no problem.

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

I've been looking at some .22 rifles recently. As far as autoloading .22's in the sub $200 range go, I'm leaning towards the Marlin 795 with Tech-Sights over the Remington 597. Hard part is finding one though. Just something to look at :)

12. molonlabe

molonlabe New Member

FNG here..

I did some research then found a 597 in a pawn shop that had been neglected. I got it for $70 then broke it down this past weekend.

After a little time spent with some steel wool all the rust is off the barrel though there is some pitting and the blueing is shot but I feel it is all cosmetic.

Lots of powder residue in the "guts" but that is cleaning up pretty well and the stock has some scratches but they should come out with a little sandpaper (thank you synth stock).

In a few weeks I will have some time to paint it and in the end I should have an el cheapo desert tactical 507 with some personal customizations thrown in.

My one question...front sight was missing and the rear sight is rusted so should I spring for techsights or go back to factory sights?

13. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

My old eyes require a scope so I defer to other more wiser and younger posters. LOL

14. tCan

tCan Active Member

I'd go for the Tech-sights. The reason aperture sights work is because we humans have a natural ability to find the center of a circle. I've found that with open sights, I get a bit of vertical stringing as I may not sit the sight right in the pocket every time. If the rear sight doesn't hug that front post really tightly, I'll also catch myself letting it wander to one side or the other as I line up the shot and have to re-correct before I pull the trigger.

15. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

More stock options for the Marlin 795, not to mention its only $129, beats the Remmy & Ruger in Price & Precision :)
    Boyd's has 6 types of laminates at the moment...
    Several interesting synthetic stocks available as well...

16. 32tudor

32tudor New Member

Remington 597

Remington 597
    or
    Ruger 10/22 both good choice ruger maybe little better, but you pay more

17. molonlabe

molonlabe New Member

The Marlin 795 also has a $25 rebate from Marlin til years end.

Not sure but the Remington 597 may have the same rebate...check on that. And keep an eye on your local Dicks sporting goods as they have run the Marlins on sale and folks have gotten that rifle for under $100 at times.

18. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Got some more range time Saturday: still no problems with any ammo. Add Win. Wildcats to the list (also so-so accuracy). It was a bit breezy but I shot some pretty good groups again with the SV. These were all at 50 yards, BTW. I didn't mean to imply that it was a sub-1/2 MOA gun. :eek:

19. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Pass on the 597 and buy a Marlin 60 instead. I bought a 597 and it threw the extractor plunger on the third round. While trying to sight it in I learned the front sight was off center so it could not get on the paper. After sending it back to the factory, I learned that the receiver scope dovetails were off center as well so I could not install Tech Sight after market sights. Three strikes and Big Green is out.