Remington 552 Speedmaster

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Txhillbilly, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

A friend and I went to a gun show in Corsicana,Tx today.
    I took a couple of guns that I rarely shoot anymore with me to trade or sale.
    While we were looking around,I spotted a Remington 552 Speedmaster Deluxe on a dealers table.It looked brand new,but it does have a couple small dings on the stock.
    I have wanted one of these rifles since I was a young boy,and shot the one that my uncle has.After I gave it good look over,and checked everything out,I asked the dealer if he wanted to trade me even for my Browning Buckmark Sporter rifle.He looked at the Browning,and said that he'd trade me.

I was really happy to trade for this rifle.The dealer told me that he had bought the rifle from an elderly gentleman that bought the gun back in the 1970's,and rarely ever shot it.

So tonight after dinner,I tore the gun down to give it a good cleaning.It was pretty dirty inside,but it had never been taken apart before.
    I also looked up the barrel date code on the computer,and it was mfg in May of 1979.

For those of you that don't know about a 552,it's a semi-auto 22,that fires 22 short,long,or long rifle cartridges.It holds 20 shorts,17 longs,or 15 long rifles in a tube magazine.
    Remington mfg'd this rifle from 1957-1988,it came in two styles-standard or deluxe.The deluxe has a high gloss finish and checkered stocks.

Remington is producing the 552 again,it's called the 552 BDL,which is the same as the old Deluxe model,but the new one has a Monte Carlo butt stock,where the older model doesn't.
    http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire/model-552/model-552-bdl-speedmaster.aspx

I'll try to get some pics of mine posted tomorrow,and see if it's a good shooter.
    THB

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Sounds like a dang good trade mon ami. I have my best friends 550-1 speedmaster. His dad gave it too him before he got killed in a drug bust on a Meth lab-his dad was a deputy sheriff. His mom gave me the gun when Bobby was killed in a car crash. Its an accurate little rifle for sure. I don't use it out of sentimental reasons. My cousin has a 552 he's used for years. It is in his truck at all times. My dad has one as well......its pretty trashed looking but still shoots dang good.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I started acquiring Remington Masters a few years back- Speedmaster, Rangemaster, Targetmaster, Gamemaster, Scoremaster. They are REALLY very nice little rifles.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Great trade IMO-
    The 552 is a tryed 'n true proven great 22 :cool:

5. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Yup,,,I have a 552 and a 572. Good guns

6. sailor353

sailor353 New Member

I bought a 552 on TGT about a month ago. The pictures looked really rough but the price was great. When I made the purchase the gun was in a lot better shape than the pictures suggested. Took it out twice so far shot a bunch of CCI MM and WIN X and some CCI 22s thru it with 0 problems. Pretty accurate too at 50yds which is about max range for my old eyes.

7. Txhillbilly

Well I took some pics of the 552,and also shot 12 different ammo's thru it to see what it might like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now,My eye's aren't very good anymore for shooting open sights,but I actually shot pretty good with this rifle.
    I set my portable shooting bench up,and only shot at 25 yards. The rifle ate everything that I fed it.No FTF's,FTE's,or any type of malfunctions.
    It took me a few shots to get the sights setup,but this gun shoots great.

I have a Dovetail to Weaver rail adapter ordered,so I should have a scope on it in a week or so.Then I'll be able to really shoot this rifle.

8. Txhillbilly

Here are pics of the targets-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really liked the American Eagle 38gr & 40gr ammo,as well as the Aguila SuperExtra 38gr and 40gr ammo.

9. dan01

dan01 New Member

Tx, that is a fine looking rifle.....

10. Txhillbilly

Thanks.
    For being 33 years old,it looks brand new.
    I'm glad the guy wanted to trade me for the Browning.

11. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Nice looking rifle.. Mine doesnt look that nice, mine looks used.

12. billt

billt New Member

The Remington Speedmaster auto and Fieldmaster pump are 2 of the finer .22's still being produced. Much like the Marlin 39-A, they are made from all steel and Walnut, no cheap plastic or Aluminum anywhere in their construction. They are much more costly, running new in the upper $500.00 range, but are worth every dime. They are a .22 that will still be around long after we have all dissolved into dust.

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I also love my Speedmaster and Scoremaster, both older originals and very accurate shooters...

Jim........

14. sailor353

sailor353 New Member

My front stock is loose at the front. Is that normal? It was like that when I bought it. Not really bad but it does ove a bit up and down and side to side. The end where the screw is is nice and snug,no wobble.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You can shim it w a piece of oil/trans jug. Just make sure its good and clean when you do it

16. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Hot powder residue blasting the fwd wrist is a bit annoying with the 552. Had a couple.
    FWIW pops blew his up last month, was letting 4H use it (he there) and the Remington Thunderbolt ammo (bulk, supplied by 4H) nuked it. His 572 a few minutes later suffered a similar event. Split the forend, and buttstock, smoked extractor. 552 just needed extractor/ejector. That ammo quarantined and lot # info sent to Big Green.

17. cottontoptexan

cottontoptexan New Member

Remington 552 Speemaster/ No serial number.

I own one of these Remington 552 Speedmasters. It is much older than the one in the picture by tex. I bought it in 2005 or so for 125.00 in like new condition. I just got it out of the safe and I cannot find a serial number on it. Any ideas on this. I have a 2X7 Leupold on it since I cannot see iron sights as good as I used to. Had it out last weekend and one of my lady friends was out at the range with her dad. She has two teenage sons and they were taking turns shooting their grandpa's 22 rifle. I also had 2 Browning Buckmark pistols with me. As it turned out I helped the range officer with these new shooters and they burned about 300 rounds of my 22 ammo up on the steel swingers at the plinking range. They had fun and I donated the ammo to them. It is enjoyable to watch young men get into the shooting sport.

18. cmiller75

cmiller75 New Member

I just picked upa 552 for my son today ad a first rifle it looks in used condition but not all tht bad
    After a little research i think it was made in oct 1957
    I paid 130 for it but i font knw if tht was a good price or not
    So if someone could help me out with that i 2ould appreciate it

19. Txhillbilly

If it is in good working condition,and not beat up too bad on the outside,you got a great deal.
    I would disassemble it,and clean it real good before shooting it. These rifles get really dirty inside,and need to be cleaned to perform at their best.

20. Txhillbilly

Here's a picture of it with the scope mounted on it. I used a 1 pc dovetail/weaver rail mount and put a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 scope with Leupold rings that I've had setting around from a gun I traded for several years ago. I've never cared for Leupold scopes,but it'll work fine on a 22.

[​IMG]