Remington 552 Speedmaster

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Culpepper, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Culpepper

Culpepper New Member

Afternoon Folks, I just purchased one of these about a week ago, what a Sweet Shooter, you can load short, long and LR in any sequence and it will shoot them all, I have been trying to date it, on the charging side of the barrel, close to the rec. there is a "P" stamped, but then next to the P, which should mean 1967, there is stamped 68, can anybody help...Thanks!

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Dont know about the dates but I picked up a BDL on 1-1-11. Really nice wood and only a small blemish on the receiver. I really like it. It is wearing a BSA Sweet 22 right now. I ran a few boxes of AE 36gr through it and need to try some other brands to see which one it likes best. It did fairly well but I think it can do better. :D

3. Culpepper

Culpepper New Member

I shoot 36gr also, I have always used cci mini-mag in all my rifles, never had any problems...just to mention, this rifle has No serial no., and has a polished rec., not blued....

4. JTJ

Mine has no number either and has a P 5 on the barrel along with a couple other symbols.

5. Culpepper

Culpepper New Member

I have done some research and the "Anchor" symbol is the Final Inspection. to the Right of the anchor the first letter is supposed to be the month produced, the second is the year produced and the next is for assembly, so off the top of my head the "P" is for June and the year 1967 and the 5 is for the assembly, what throws me is I have a "P" also which should mean 1967, but right next to the "P" is stamped 68....

6. JTJ

Mine has O P 5. I dont know what the 5 is but O is July and P is 67 unless I miscounted. The P could also mean 1923 which I doubt.
    Remington 552 BDL build date - THR

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. Culpepper

Culpepper New Member

Well I guess we will never know for sure huh, but she is a sweet shooter, going to get all the critical replacement parts, just in case there is any problem, thanks for the reply's....

8. JTJ

Which parts are you looking at? It might be wise for me to do it too.

9. Culpepper

Culpepper New Member

Just receiver parts, from what I have researched just clean her every once in a while and you are ok, I just like having spare parts, just in case I need one, and there may come a time you can't get any...btw I am still searching for the complete rec. or parts....

10. Hawk1

Hawk1 New Member

I have a 552 that my parents gave me for x-mas in 1959. I've shot thousands of every kind of ammo through that old girl and she's never needed any new parts and still going strong. She's a sweetheart! Hawk1

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

12. Culpepper

Culpepper New Member

I have seen that chart, what still puzzles me is the 68 stamped next to the P?

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The Remington Speedmaster 552 is a great little rifle. I have had one for decades and still shoot it quite a bit. Mine was manufactured in March of 1938. After refinishing the stock and forearm several years ago, it still looks like new.

Jim..........

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

15. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

By the second chart, my 552 was produced in July of either 1929 or 1973 - I'd favor the latter year! Another stamp shows a possible "Customer Repair Inspector" marking.
    Wood is walnut, with some scratches and minor dings, no wood loss. Barrel and mag tube have surface rust spots, aluminum reciever shows the most wear.
    I really need to refinish the old girl. She needs a new 'party dress'..... ;)

Bought her at the local gun&pawn, and had to install new sights, as they'd been really buggered by the prior owner. Have shot her, but she hiccuped a bit - need to do a complete strip down and thorough cleaning and lubing.

16. PX15

PX15 New Member

FWIW:

Recently my MIL called me over to get her pistol (Charter Arms Undercover) and clean it for her..

While I was there she told me to look under the bed in the back bedroom and take that "old" 22cal. rifle home with me.

It had been her late husbands, who died 5 years ago, and I knew at one time he had a 22rifle, but had forgotten about it.

Anyway, I dragged the zippered case out from under the bed and pulled out the rifle and it turned out to be an almost pristine Remington 552 Speedmaster..:)

It looks like it has seen very little use, and it's a neat looking old rifle.

I brought it home, cleaned it a bit, and took it out back for a test run..

It's a sweet shooter...:D I really like the way the bolt is on the off-side (I'm a lefty), and the neat shroud to deflect ejecting brass..

My first 22cal. rifle (at age 12) was a new single shot Remington my Grandmother bought me on my 12th birthday, so I'm happy to have another Remington in the house.

Jesse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Culpepper

Culpepper New Member

She sho is Pretty PX15:D

18. JTJ

Red face. After seeing the pictures I looked at mine and it is a 572 slide action. :confused: I need to pay more attention to detail. I wanted the slide rather than the semi auto as there are no feeding problems for shorts if needed and the action stays cleaner. Other than a shotgun this is my 1st slide rifle and I am really happy with it.