Remington 550-1

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by tws3b2, Sep 16, 2020.

1. tws3b2

tws3b2 Member

Picked up a Remington 550-1 a couple weeks ago. Got to try it out for the first time today. Was using shorts and long rifle. I got no fail to eject at all. But I got many fail to feed. Had more fails with lrs but shorts were not much better. Most lrs were dented in the center and some bent at the joint. I had some fail to cock. I think those were mostly with the shorts. In the one photo you can see a short fail to feed if you look close. Any ideas. Thanks for any help. 20200916_133505_resized.jpg 20200916_133501_resized.jpg 20200916_133644_resized.jpg 20200916_134556_resized.jpg edit
    It's not shown in the photos but most of the time the lower shell would be started in the chamber with another shell on top of it. If that makes any difference.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Double feeding is often caused by a bad magazine. Is the mag removable? I am not familiar with this particular rifle.
    The extractor looks like it (probably the whole action) needs cleaning, big time.

danf_fl likes this.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I agree,that rifle needs a severe cleaning. Take it apart,clean and lube it good,and see if that solves the issue.

4. tws3b2

tws3b2 Member

No,, there is no mag. It's tube fed. Action was cleaned and lubed before firing.

5. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

The cartridge stop is not functioning correctly. Likely it is worn or fouled. Parts (stop, detent, pin and spring) are available at Numrich. I know you already cleaned the action, but you might look at the cartridge stop mechanism as it can get fouled.
    A 550-1 was the first rifle I ever fired, I plan on getting another some day...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    tws3b2 likes this.
  6. tws3b2

tws3b2 Member

Thanks Agedwarrior. I've disassembled and reassembled lever actions, pumps, some semi autos and bolt assembly's so I do have a little experience with workings of some firearms. But when I cleaned this 550-1 I remember thinking I hope I never have to disassemble it any further than necessary for cleaning. Don't know why it just seems like a gun that I would rather stay out of. But I'm going to take your advice and replace the cartridge stop. Thanks for your help.

G66enigma and AgedWarrior like this.
  7. AgedWarrior

I am hopeful it solves your problem. It did for another 550-1 a few years back when I was helping a friend. Please do share how things work out.

tws3b2 likes this.
  8. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny how every firearm's different.

In a ~2000s Marlin 1894, it had the typical "bringing in two" feeding and jamming problem. Turns out it's the carrier assembly that was designed poorly by Marlin. A handful of good gunsmiths could easily correct; and a couple of knowledgeable gunsmiths had custom carrier assemblies available for them.

@tws3b2 , I hope the suggested fix (earlier) cures the problem.

tws3b2 likes this.
  9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

tws
    IMO all your 550-1 needs is a good cleaning. The first ones area dated in Dec. 1947 with the majority made in 1948.
    It is a piece of Cake to clean one of them.
    In fact, there is an excellent Video on YouTube called Disassembling the Remington 550-1.
    I would suggest that you watch that. By the looks of the carbon build up on the Extractor I am sure there is more crud on the inside of the Rifle.
    If you do watch the Video and disassemble it for a thorough cleaning. Get some Brake and Parts Cleaner (Spray Can Be sure it is the Non-Flammable Cleaner) and use it on all the parts. And some good lubricant.
    Also there is a little spring as you will see that pushes the Loading Mechanism that lifts the Shells up to be loaded directly into the Chamber. If it is cruded up, that would certainly cause your feeding issues. Once you have cleaned all the parts and lubricate them lightly and reassemble them. (Believe me after you watch the video it will be easy!) I would not recommend removing the Trigger Group from the Receiver only clean the parts well before reinstalling the Stock. One word of caution! Notice how much pressure it takes with the Screwdriver to remove the Stock Screw taking the Stock off. And only use the same pressure when reinstalling the Stock Screw. They do not need to be overtightened.
    Good Luck!:)
    Brake and Parts Cleaner.jpg
    Just do not get it on the Wood! And best to use thin latex type gloves. So you can clean with the gloves on and easily handle the small parts. But if you do not use any gloves if any of it gets under your ring or watch band get it washed off immediately. If left under them it can burn your skin.;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    PeeJay1313 and G66enigma like this.
  10. tws3b2

tws3b2 Member

Started to disassemble my 550-1. Got the stock off and my thumb touched the sear housing screw. I felt it move so I tried to tighten it up a little and sure enough it's stripped out and the spring has a kink it. Apparently someone had taken it out before and stripped it out trying to put it back. Any advice on how to fix that? Bummer.
    Thanks

11. Sniper03

tws
    Is the Screw Threads Stripped or the Threads in the Sear Housing?

12. Sniper03

tws
    Obviously you need a new Spring.
    Which Spring is Bent? Carrier Spring or Sear Spring
    If the Screw is Stripped we will try to help you find one if we can.
    If the Hole is stripped. You have a few options.
    1. If you can find a very small Ship Srip

13. tws3b2

tws3b2 Member

Sear spring is bent. It looks like the screw threads and hole threads are stripped.

14. Sniper03

WOW:eek:
    We call those guys that do such things as Jack The Hack!
    Total Ignorance at it's best!:rolleyes:

That is not good. Send us some close up pictures if you can! Of both!

towboater likes this.
  15. tws3b2

tws3b2 Member

Seems Jack did %$#@& Hack on this thing.
    Here the photo 20200917_161026_resized.jpg

towboater likes this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

OK- here is the good news- gunpartscorp.com has your spring for $4.25 plus shipping.

Now the bad news- about that screw- Was expensive ($40+) but is out of stock. That is going to need the services of an actual smith that can weld, drill and tap to the correct thread.

17. AgedWarrior

Wow, that went south in a hurry! Sorry to hear what you are finding...

18. tws3b2

tws3b2 Member

19. AgedWarrior

Personally, I would not be inclined to use JB Weld or other such materials, but obviously, your decision. I could not say what a smith will charge to fix it...have to ask. I would recommend finishing disassembly to make sure there is nothing else wrong before you think about fixing this problem. Find out if anything else is damaged or excessively worn.

towboater likes this.
  20. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you drill and tap the threads deeper and use a longer screw?