remington 522 viper not cycling

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by bryan109, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

hi all,
    i'm new to this forum and have a little problem. I'm a Glock owner and fan but, my next love is the Taurus then my Remington. I have a remington 522 viper and it is having a problem at cycling through to the next round. The breech bolt will retract but not far enough to eject the next round. If i insert the clip and cock back that round will fire but not cycle to shoot the next round. I have read about the plastic and metal clips but mine is the plastic clip and most say the plastic clips are the most trouble. I have not disassembled the gun yet I would just like to know where to start.
    thanks
    bryan

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

I knew that the M1 Garand uses clips, but the lowly .22?

When someone uses the word "clip" for "magazine", they demonstrate that they do not have much of experience with firearms parts nomenclature.

3. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I apologize.

4. danf_fl

No apology necessary.
    Chalk it up to learning. We all started somewhere.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Tear it down totally and scrub the heck out of it. Then when you put it back together make sure to a) oil the bolt rails b) DO NOT CRIMP/BEND THE SPRINGS c) make sure to disassemble your mag and clean it good as well and lube it up good and d) don't crimp them dang springs on the recoil/bolt rails.

Welcome to the forum

6. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

Thanks marlin just a few questions. What do I scrub the parts with and what kind of oil do I use?
    Thanks

7. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I cleaned every part in the gun, I noticed lots of carbon on the firing pin. Should I use froglube on the firing pin?

8. danf_fl

Have you tried different brands of ammo?
    Some semi-autos recommend using HV type ammo over standard.

9. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I bought a different higher priced ammo and I'm going to fire it Saturday to see if I solved the problem. Thanks

10. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I had nothing but problems with my Viper. Now I have a 10/22, in my opinion pretty much any other semi auto on the market is more reliable than a Remington 22 semi

11. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I have read a lot of the dislike about the viper on the Internet. I can say I enjoy firing this gun, sure it's not made well but I get more enjoyment firing this gun then my sig or glock. May sound odd to some but different strokes for different folks.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I liked the gun, it was very accurate on paper, more accurate than my 10/22 with any ammo I tried, but to me a jamming semi auto isn't worth keeping around. Hopefully if you clean the heck out of it it will start to function again for you. I got mine when I was young because I thought they looked cool with the banana clip sticking out, I have since outgrown that and now prefer guns that operate as designed.