remington 522 viper not cycling

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by bryan109, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

hi all,
    i'm new to this forum and have a little problem. I'm a Glock owner and fan but, my next love is the Taurus then my Remington. I have a remington 522 viper and it is having a problem at cycling through to the next round. The breech bolt will retract but not far enough to eject the next round. If i insert the clip and cock back that round will fire but not cycle to shoot the next round. I have read about the plastic and metal clips but mine is the plastic clip and most say the plastic clips are the most trouble. I have not disassembled the gun yet I would just like to know where to start.
    thanks
    bryan

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

I knew that the M1 Garand uses clips, but the lowly .22?

When someone uses the word "clip" for "magazine", they demonstrate that they do not have much of experience with firearms parts nomenclature.

3. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I apologize.

4. danf_fl

No apology necessary.
    Chalk it up to learning. We all started somewhere.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Tear it down totally and scrub the heck out of it. Then when you put it back together make sure to a) oil the bolt rails b) DO NOT CRIMP/BEND THE SPRINGS c) make sure to disassemble your mag and clean it good as well and lube it up good and d) don't crimp them dang springs on the recoil/bolt rails.

Welcome to the forum

6. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

Thanks marlin just a few questions. What do I scrub the parts with and what kind of oil do I use?
    Thanks

7. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I cleaned every part in the gun, I noticed lots of carbon on the firing pin. Should I use froglube on the firing pin?

8. danf_fl

Have you tried different brands of ammo?
    Some semi-autos recommend using HV type ammo over standard.

9. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I bought a different higher priced ammo and I'm going to fire it Saturday to see if I solved the problem. Thanks

10. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Active Member

I had nothing but problems with my Viper. Now I have a 10/22, in my opinion pretty much any other semi auto on the market is more reliable than a Remington 22 semi

11. bryan109

bryan109 New Member

I have read a lot of the dislike about the viper on the Internet. I can say I enjoy firing this gun, sure it's not made well but I get more enjoyment firing this gun then my sig or glock. May sound odd to some but different strokes for different folks.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Active Member

I liked the gun, it was very accurate on paper, more accurate than my 10/22 with any ammo I tried, but to me a jamming semi auto isn't worth keeping around. Hopefully if you clean the heck out of it it will start to function again for you. I got mine when I was young because I thought they looked cool with the banana clip sticking out, I have since outgrown that and now prefer guns that operate as designed.

13. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

This is a long dead thread but this may help put some insight into failuer to eject the round.
    There is a tiny stamped metal ejector prong that is supposed to tip the extracted round from the bolt face.
    This part is well known to break off.
    And no ammount of cleaning or selecting of different types of ammunition will make the rifle function as it should.
    Another thing is to assure the plastic magazine guide inside the lower is still there as it dovetails into the back side the magazine.
    I have seen this badly marred and in one instance completely broken off.
    This removes proper magazine alignment in relation to the bolt.
    The only real fix is to buy a new lower trigger assembly, this assembly contains a complex layer of metal stampings precisely placed and heat welded into the plastic trigger group.
    All in all a neat idea from an engineering standpoint but not very robust from my viewpoint as a Alaskan that has seen many of these broken rifles.
    If Id taken the time to hand make a metal unit to replace the plastic and spring steel stampings.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The Viper was perhaps the worst idea Remington ever had for semi-auto .22 rifles! I consider them basically throwaway rifles, in the same category of the model 710, & it's revamped but still POS model 770. I don't even bother with them.

15. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

My dad got one, actually liked the thing.
    Metal mags were 50 bucks though.

16. gwpercle

gwpercle Active Member

What's the difference between a "Clip" and a "Magazine" and how do you tell them apart ?

17. danf_fl

18. Rex in OTZ

Some that plastic magazine guide gets roughed up using those metal mags.
    You have to use swiss files and do some cleaning up the burrs and sharp edges.
    The yellow circled area shows the damaged area that is supposed to dovetail into the slot on the back side of your magazine.
    This obe is damaged to the point that the magazine will no longer stay put at the correct position for reliable feeding the rounds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  19. Rex in OTZ

Well living in town can be a real drag, if you want to test your .22 you cant just step out the door and fire a few inert rounds to check function.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    SGWGunsmith likes this.