Remington 513S

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by fmfcorpsman, Jul 10, 2011.

1. fmfcorpsman

fmfcorpsman New Member

About the time I was born, early 1949, my father purchased a 1947 513S. When I returned from service he gave me the rifle. When I was 40 the rifle was stolen from my home during a move. Last year, I found it for sale at gun show. As it was my main shooter as a boy, I knew it well enough to recognize the dings I had made and the serial. When I explained the situation to the seller, He showed me his C&R bound book entry and offered to sell it to me at his cost. I was delighted to accept.
    Meanwhile, some previous owner had tapped the left side of the receiver for a diopter sight mount. Consequently I would like to find such a mount. When measuring the taps does one measure from outside edge to outside edge, inside edge to inside edge, midpoint to midpoint? How do I determine the size of the taps and the threads?
    Obviously, I am not a machinist or a smith.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The correct way is midpoint to midpoint. Since that is a hard measurement to get, measure inside to inside and then add the full diameter of one hole. That will give you midpoint to midpoint.

As far as finding the thread size, if you don't have a set of thread gauges and I take it you don't have a caliper and a machinists bible. So the way I would go about that would be to get an assortment of bolts that look like they are in the ballpark and start trying them until you find the one that fits.

Try both metric and english threads.

3. fmfcorpsman

fmfcorpsman New Member

Thank you very much sir. Somewhere in my shop there is a pair of late 1800's 2 inch calipers, belonged to my great grandfather. I think the increments are in 1/100s inch. Am thinking their ought to be a laser device that performs that function, albeit with greater accuracy.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'd go back to the FFL and get the name of the dirtbag that stole your gun! :(

5. fmfcorpsman

fmfcorpsman New Member

Not likely as 21 years had transpired between the theft and recovery.
    The probability the rifle was traded and sold without documentation
    more than once is rather high. That aside, the statute of limitations has
    long passed.