Remington 512 worn out

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by sagenodland, Sep 2, 2011.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

My first rifle :sob: is finally worn out after 69 years of hard use it was my dads trapping rifle then he passed it down to me and the bolt sear that stops it from coming out is almost non-existent

Attached Files:

2. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

3. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I've looked around quite a bit and the best deal I found was a bolt on gunbroker for $150 that seemed a little overpriced to me what do you think?

4. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I'm thinking $150 ought to get a complete *gunsmith special* rifle with a decent bolt, but maybe I'm dreaming.

It seems a little steep but if you think of the enjoyment and sustenance that rifle has given your family and divide that $150 by years of service = $2.17 per year or 18 cents a month...pretty good deal really.

I've been in your shoes and sometimes we bite the bullet.

No harm in watching Gunbroker some more unless your fed up.

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Wow, that sweet old rifle has seen some hard use. My first rifle that my Dad gave me when I was 10 y.o. was his old Rem. 512 rifle that was manufactured in Jan. 1942. It's has been shot a lot, but doesn't have the wear yours shows.

Bolts are hard to find and can be very pricey. Watch Gunbroker and E-bay for one and do the pawn shop tour in your area to see if anyone has an old 512 rifle laying around. I'm pretty sure that a model 510, 511 & 513 bolt will also work in your 512 as they all were the same.

Here's mine:

Attached Files:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Go over to Gunbroker.com, search for Remington 512.

7. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Wow snakedriver yours looks way better than mine but that's how I got mine it was a trapping rifle that's killed plenty of beaver muskrats and countless racoon's

That's what my father told me at least

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It would be easier(and maybe cheaper) to buy a complete rifle. I think the bolts might be all the same for all the 510 series ( 510,511,512).

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Thanks sagenodland, it's hard to believe it's almost 70 years old now. The thing still shoots nice tight nickle sized groups with just Fed. 550 bulk box ammo. IMO, these were some of the finest .22's Remington ever made. I also have a family owned 1937 Remington 341 "Sportsmaster" that came before the model 512 "Sportmaster" It is also still a great shooter although not in as good of condition as the old 512. :)

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

My 552 Semi Auto I got when I got out of 6th grade finally gave up the ghost, that was 1952. Also bolt problems, it broke in two at the bolt hole.

11. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

They are all the same 510 was a single shot 511 was magazine fed and 512 was tube fed thats the only difference

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Try Jack First Inc. in Rapid City, So. Dakota for parts. I got a 512 bolt from him about a year ago...

Jim.....

13. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

14. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Thanks for the help i'll give them a call