Remington 510 targetmaster

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by herp_man2003, Feb 15, 2013.

1. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

I pick up one in fair shape. I was wondering if it would be sacrilege to take it down and completely refinish it. I wanna strip the stock and and use a hand rubbed oil finish on it. I was even thinking of reblueng it. I know its not a high dollar gun and I don't think its real collectable so What do you all think should I go for it?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While there IS an interest in these as a collectable, it is not a Merkel, Purdy, or Holland & Holland- and not all rifles are in condition to BE a collectable. If you have one that is showing the ravages of time and use, and want to put it back to a prettier state, I would say have at it!

I WOULD suggest that you refrain from any sanding of the wood. Formby's Refinisher can help clean up the old finish (be careful, flammable as hell), and some of the older rifles had decent wood that comes up nicely with an oil finish.

Re: Bluing- yes, you CAN try to DIY with cold bluing- generally it is better than NO bluing- but not much. That is a fairly simple rifle, and you may find a smith that will reblue for you for a reasonable price. The real key to a good looking rifle will be the degree of prep/ polish on the metal.

Good luck, and post some pics here- BEFORE as well as AFTER.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Go ahead!
    The original wood finish was a gloss varnish but a hand rubbed finish would look nice also.

4. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Remington 510

Gun is worth about 125.00 bucks in good condition. I have one,had the receiver grooved for a scope,refinished the stock and added some lead weight to make it heavier. I have been offered 100.00 dollars for it. Go ahead, have fun with it.:) Cliff

5. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

If you do the cold bluing correctly, it comes out just fine. It all hinges on you doing enough prep work in the correct manner though. Never skimp on the prep, or that will be the first and last thing that screws you.

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Don't try to blue the receiver, its aluminum. At least not with regular bluing salts, it will disolve.

7. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Member

Not. 510 Receiver is steel. I shop made a receiver peep for mine that looks sort of like a Williams Foolproof. Drilled and tapped the reciever--it's steel.

Jim

8. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Sorry when I said the receiver was aluminum I had just left a thread about a marlin 60, Duh

9. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Well I have decided im not gonna reblue this. I am planning on just cleaning up the stock and putting a little stock wax on it. I will take some pics of it and post them.

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have a 510 Targetmaster that is very nice and Im gonna leave alone. I have recently acquired a 512 Sportmaster that needs some TLC so Im gonna refinish the stock and have the gun parkerized.

If it was my Targetmaster I wouldnt parkerize it, I would reblue it. I think these remingtons are very good rifles.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  11. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Me and my friend had this out at the range last week and we were consistently able to ding steel at 100 yards of the bag and off hand. Im kinda falling in love with this little gun. Im gonna try and pick up another one at the gun show this weekend. I was even able to ding steel at 100 yards using cb longs now that was fun.

12. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

This is the 514 I redid the blue and stock on. It came out pretty good. Not bad for a free rifle

Attached Files:

13. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Well I thought I would dig this one up and give an update. I decided not to mess with the metal its in good enough shape as it is. I did redo the stock I striped the old finish off and used tru-oil on the stock. I think she looks pretty nice. Of coarse I forgot to get before pics.
    [​IMG]

14. Spud9

Spud9 New Member

That is some beautiful wood. Take a closer shot and post it. I just had a customer bring me a 510, it needs restore but he just wanted me to drill and tap, install a rail and scope. Nice single shooter though. Yours looks awesome

15. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Looks good! Makes me wanna do some work to mine

16. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Im on the look out for another lol. Its like a disease. This is such a fun little gun to shoot. The sights are not the best but they work and have been on there since the 50 as far as I can tell.

17. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was not going for a new look but rather a freshening up of the stock. I like the way it turned out and now I am looking at getting a 514 for a refinish job lol.