Remington .270 win help needed!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by agnorthcott, Aug 26, 2011.

1. agnorthcott

agnorthcott New Member

Hey y'all. Hows everyone doing? So i've got a question for some of you gunsmiths or guys who have experience in changing calibers of guns. so i have a Remington 700 xcr in a .270 win. with a 24 inch standard barrel issued by the Remington company. A few friends and I want to get into shooting .308 win. and we were wondering if it is possible to change my rifle into a .308 with a heavy barrel (including the action and magazine and that stuff). if so would it be cheaper to just buy a new Remington sps tactical in .308 win.? ANY AND ALL RECOMMENDATIONS ARE WELCOME! thanks!:D

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

all you have to do is change the barrel. You have a long action but that is fine and will cause no problems.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I beg to differ on this. 308 is short action, 270 is long action.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You need to plan on acquiring another rifle due to long action (270) vs short action (308).

Stop by the introduction section and let us know a little more about yourself. I lived Bossier and hunted in Bienville parishes for about 8 years from 1999 to 2008. Unfortunately my job moved me to the Northland. I'll be back in the Sportsman Paradise someday.

5. agnorthcott

agnorthcott New Member

Thanks guys! and I'm new to these forums so thanks for the quick replies!

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It CAN be done BUT you have a long action whereas you really need a short action. You MAY encounter feeding issues. You could rebarrel it to 30-06 with no other changes however.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

you can certainly use short cartridges in a long action. For many years gun companies only had long actions and used them for all calibers.

8. stalkingbear

True but they used mag blocks to position the cartridges for proper feeding.

9. agnorthcott

agnorthcott New Member

bear,

is that round good for long-range shooting? and how much is a box of 20 rounds on average? thanks!

10. stalkingbear

The .308 is mighty close (not exactly but closest I can explain easily) to being a shortened 30-06. The ammo is available everywhere and the 30-06 is about 150-200 feet per second faster than the .308. The 30-06 ammo shouldn't be much higher than .308.

11. agnorthcott

agnorthcott New Member

ok thanks! I'm in college so I'm on a small budget! lol I sure you know what I mean!

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

being on a budget, i have a suggestion. the 270 is a fine caliber, good ballistics and very capable of taking most game in north america. instead of rebarreling, try buying reloading equipment and reload for that 270. if you rebarrel, there is the cost of the barrel and the whatever the gunsmith charges to change it out and set it for you. another suggestion if you are deadset on having a 308, check out the marlin XS7VH in 308. i bought one a few months ago, paid $380 + tax for it. shoots very well and also has the heavy barrel. just some ideas to consider. plus you would then have two nice rifles!

13. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I agree with axxe55.

14. Tuner

Tuner New Member

Agn--Yes it can be done and I would discuss with the "smith" who will install your barrel. I have a 22-250 on an FN Mauser full length action, a .220 Swift on a pre 64 M70full length action, works perfect; US arms manufacturers put short cartridges on full length actions all the time, worked fine. You will probably need to order a follower and possibly a magazine spring for the .308 from Remington, Brownell’s or some other parts supplier. Yes the front of the magazines are blocked to take up the extra length of the magazine, but that is just some bent up sheet metal riveted or spot welded into the Mauser magazine. Any smith should be able to fit a block into the magazine, it just isn’t that difficult.

The economics of this is up to you to decide. Barrel prices will run from $100 to about $400 for the blank alone, then add installation around $150 to $200. to get you started. Now add the magazine parts and mods throw in another $100. You have gone to a different contour barrel so you are going to need to do some stock work and while you are at it will probably want to glass and or pillar bed the action, throw in another $150. Don’t forget postage and insurance. If the job is done right all of the people on the firing line will say,” Damn, that is one fine shooting rifle, where can I get one like that”. BTW, I intentionally left out the cost of “truing” an action because unless you are a serious bench rest shooter it probably is not necessary.

15. Tuner

Tuner New Member

Agn-- One last thought on the info about altering the magazine I did in my original post. That only applies if you want to charge and feed rounds from the magazine. If you are going to strictly shoot off the bench and load single rounds just slide the loaded round into the chamber and close the bolt. The Rem 700 is a push feed action and that is what is going to happen anyway. If that is the case you can forget about the follower and magazine alterations, it just would not be necessary.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well said! some people think you just screw another barrel on and presto, you changed the caliber! there is a lot of work and knowledge in this type job, and is better left to someone who knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment to perform the work.

17. SteveK

SteveK New Member

Don't forget about the headspace involved in changing barrels or you could run into some problems with the firing, feeding,etc.