Remington .260

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Jlamb235, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Jlamb235

Jlamb235 New Member

Can anyone tell me what models besides the model 7 that Remington currently manufactures in .260. I know you can get it in several models of 700 but all the information I have seen says that they only make it at this time in model 7...

2. Salvo

Salvo New Member

The Remington website is perhaps one of the most useless websites associated with the firearms industry. They won't tell you about what they are doing now, but will helpfully list tons of obsolete models right in with the current ones, thus creating a cloud of uncertainty and ambiguity concerning their product line.

Don't feel bad about being confused as to what Remington does or does not offer after visiting their website, just about everyone else comes away with the same impression.

I will suggest here that the product is not significantly better than the website, and that you would be much better off taking a look at Tikkas, Weatherby Vanguards, Howas, Winchesters, Brownings and even Savages - Any one of which is better designed and better made than any Remington.

Just saying...

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I myself would go for the Savage Model 10/110 Predator if it were me, just my .02 cents !................

4. glangelius

glangelius New Member

The Savage Site allows a caliber-specific search.

Click caliber, then 260 Rem. There should be six firearms currently listed.

I currently own a recent Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max I in the chambering, and have built and competed at 1Kyd with an F Open custom built on a then-new 2001 10FP .260, featuring a McMillan A3 factory pillar bedded Tactical stock, SSS Trigger, Mueller 8-32x44 side focus fine crosshair/target dot scope, and an L-W 28" 1:8" Savage drop-in varmint profile barrel. They are both excellent shooters. The chambering (in both barrel lengths) enjoys a snappy charge (43.5-44.0gr H-4350, consider this right up there at max) and the 140 and 142gr bullet selections. My hunting load is the Nosler 140gr Accubond and 43.8gr of H-4350. Start lower and work up.

Greg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's a hell of a feat to shoot/compete at 1k yards with a scope like a Mueller. I'd like to watch that.
    What moa base are you running,that scope only has 40 moa total adjustment range to begin with,and the glass isn't very clear.And,you're shooting a fine crosshair with a target dot on top of that.

I have two Mueller 8.5-25 Eradicator scopes that I used on target 22lr's,they worked fine for that,but shooting long range wasn't something that I'd do with them.
    All my long range optics have 100 moa of adjustment,and cost about 5x what the Mueller cost,and they are on the low end price for long range scopes.

6. glangelius

glangelius New Member

Content amended and transferred.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  7. glangelius

glangelius New Member

TXhillbilly;

I am saddened by your disbelief. In a way, I could be prompted to ask how many times you have used the Mueller 8-32x44 at any distance.

To be painfully truthful, my 1000yd shooting days are long past; since a year or two after I had a serious heart attack in 2004. My main issue is with pulling butts.

Since then I have only acquired a the Mueller in the last two years, and my comp has been limited to 250yd and under. I used my first one for a year, competing against some serious BR rifles, and while I don't win, I compete satisfactorily. Several competitors have tried out my Mueller, and they approve, FWIW. I purchased another this past spring for my Savage 11VT .223, and I like it equally.

Believe me, I would love to be able to spend in your price range, but that's just not possible. FWIW, I competed for several years at 1000yd using a humble Tasco 6-24x42 Varmint/Target MilDot. I was very happy with the outcomes, and replacing the Tasco with the Mueller has been an eye opening experience. In my eyes, it resolves essentially all my previous gripes. With the Tasco, I learned a lot about wind and mirage, and the lesson may well continue on a higher level with the Mueller. Personally, I think they deserve a better rap.

As for wanting to see me compete at 1000yd with the Mueller, you may get your chance. My Wife and I are planning a move to or near San Angelo, and I am making the move mainly (for my own part) as a bid to get back onto the longer ranges. So keep an eye/ear cocked, I may be in your midst in the next year or so. Looking forward to the opportunity to let seeing be believing; heck, I'd love to see it, too...

Now, for the nuts and bolts. The Savage Custom has a Ken Farrel 20MOA base ca. 2001. I experimented with shimming and bedding the base so the Tasco's 100yd zero shoots from about 5 clicks from bottoming out the elevation turret. The elevation requirement with the L-W 28" barrel to get to 1000yd would be at or just shy of 30MOA above that. Replacing the rings with low 30MM Zee's (the Farrel towers above the barrel), the 100yd zero is nearly identical to the Tasco's. There is no issue with the elevation adjustments.

The base's combined slope seems to run at about 33MOA.

Greg

PS I have totally rewritten this post as it was originally a knee-jerk hostile response. No need for that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  8. Txhillbilly

I wasn't trying to be a jackass. I just know from owning 2 Mueller scopes that they aren't what I'd call a Long Range scope. Most scopes don't perform well enough visually when you get right at the end of the adjustment travel capability. If you can do that,then my hats off to you.

Heck yeah,You get moved down here I'd come down to shoot with you. I don't compete because of my work schedule-I only get a weekend off every 7 weeks,but we shoot out to 1200 yards up at the ranch all the time except for hunting season.

9. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

Guess i've wasted my money, buying NIGHTFORCE NXS, LEUPOLD MARK IV, BUSHNELL ELITE, & BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND

10. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I could care less about shooting at anything beyond 300 yards, so all of the "long range shooting" BS is a moot point here.

11. Txhillbilly

Well Salvo,There are many of us that enjoy shooting at very long ranges in competition,hunting or just for the hell of it,so most of us could really care less about how you feel or think.:two cents:

12. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

The members were trying to help you, next time be exact with the distance that you want to shoot & how much you're willing to spend on a scope

13. glangelius

glangelius New Member

Well; I'm grateful for the encouragement, Txhillbilly. I know this is a .260 topic, but is it OK if I bring along a couple of .280's as well?

I hope nobody was confusing my enjoyment of the Mueller 8-32x44 as an endorsement over the higher priced scopes. They are undoubtedly superior; my only issue is that at their price, they are unobtanium for me. I must make do; and with the Mueller, I feel that I got considerably more than I paid for, compared to what I have been working with prior. That's why I now own and use two of them.

There are some minor quibbles. As some have suggested elsewhere, the turret clicks could be a tad more positive, and the 44mm objective has its limits in fading light. Neither of those are deal breakers for me.

I do a fair amount of load development within the constraints of working with factory rifles, lower cost rests, etc., and SAAMI chambers. Not truly competitive, but when the rifles do perform to their potential, it can be very satisfying. I do know this, I'm never at the top of the chart, and I accept that. But I'm also kinda seldom at the bottom, either, which can be kinda exhilarating. I choose to take on the whole pack with definite understandings of where my place is. I'm happy, and I know when it's me and not the equipment that's failing me. When the potential isn't met, it's me.

Anyhow, best to all.

Greg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  14. Mitch27

Mitch27 New Member

Lot of places make the 260 some not in production but there's used ones out there, look on Facebook pages Google gun broker, ect ect
    I know right now that Remington brong the 260 in the 700 model back but it's matte blue with black synthetic stock

15. Salvo

Salvo New Member

It's hard to say what anyone who shoots at game animals at long range might be - but they are definitely not sportsmen.

There's too many variables there, too many ways for things to go wrong - and no opportunity to do anything about it when a shot does go wrong.

The result is crippled, maimed and lost game animals - things that any real sportsman would never deliberately take a gamble on.

Varmints though... Well, that's another story.

16. glangelius

glangelius New Member

TX...;

OK, our move to the Southwest is set. We will be moving to Cochise County, AZ. Spent 3 months in the FL, TX, and AZ areas, drove just over 10,000 miles. Cochise County convinced me.

The odds favor a renewed opportunity to shoot the further distances. Maybe I'll get the chance to try the .260/Mueller combination at LR.

Funny thing; I had worried about my COPD and the higher altitude. Moving from 800ft ASL to 4,000-4,500ft ASL. Spending about 3 weeks in the Cochise area was a little difficult during part of the first week, but the altitude combined with the very low humidity cleared the old airbags out and I ended up breathing even better than before.

Sure enough, my issues resumed upon returning to CNY. This past Sunday, the temp on the back deck was -15 when I looked out while fixing my first cuppa Joe. Took until after 5PM to get the temp in the house up above 70. The (supplementary) pellet stove was running continuously until sometime in the wee hours of last night.

Right now, the main issue involves cleanup and minor repairs to my current residence, and getting it sold ASAP so we can move in down in AZ.

My 260's base is a Ken Farrel 20MOA, but I custom glass bed the base to the receiver after establishing a shim setup that allows me to zero at 100 with an MOA or so of down travel left on the elevation knob. I'm guessing the bedding adds about another 12-15MOA to the base's initial slope value. The 28" Lothar-Walther barrel allows a 1000yd zero with less than 30MOA adjustment up from the 100yd zero at 800ft, and the come-up should be somewhat less at the increased altitudes in the SW.

The Savage action and barrel nut make barrel/chambering exchanges a much simpler proposition. I've had this barrel for over a decade, and it holds few surprises for me these days. The rifle has borne 3 barrels over the years since 2001, and the .260 is doing its second stint as the current barrel.

The previous scope was a Tasco 6-24x42 Varmint/Target scope retailing under $100, so the Mueller is a major improvement over the Tasco. Honestly, the Tasco only gave me clarity issues at 1000yd when the other shooters were moaning about heavy mirage.

Greg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  17. Txhillbilly

Congratulations on finding a place in Arizona,it has some beautiful scenery out there. I'm sure you'll find some great places to wring out your rifles a long ways off.

Pay no mind to Charles (Salvo),he says the same crap on several forums,and nobody that knows how to shoot long range cares about how he thinks.

18. glangelius

glangelius New Member

(Please delete)

19. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

My 260 is a stainless, synthetic Model 7
    Handy lightweight rifle
    If I wanted a heavier rifle I would get a Ruger in 6.5 Creedmore

20. glangelius

glangelius New Member

The new place has a dedicated workshop of some fair size behind the 2-car garage.

The view West is of the Dragoon Mountains about ten minutes by car down a dirt road leading to Cochise's Stronghold. The View East is across a broad desert valley at the base of the Chiricahua National Monument. Interstate Rt 10 is about ten minutes North along 191.

We have to sell our existing home here in NY and move into the new place, which should hopefully take only until Summer. Getting set back up for reloading gets first priority, then we search out a place to test loads safely and maybe rub elbows with some like-minded recreational shooters; I'm talking about exiting formal rifle ranges. I hear Ben Avery Range is a great place, but it's about 3hrs away. I believe my older Brother Bill was a shooter there before his demise some years back.

My other avocation is building and flying free flight model aircraft, and I expect to be ramping that up now that there's a lot of flat land within sight.

Re: Charles; no further comment.

...Except to respond to you that although I shoot LR, it remains to be proven that I actually know how. I got it done in 2002 at the SOA Match, but here out East at considerably lower altitude, the wind seems to own me.

Greg