Remington 1911R1 Anyone see this?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by canebrake, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Excellent news Cane!

I know you to be a man of your word and I know you shoot us straight.

From your experience in your past working life I expect to see one hell of a truthful, well thought out and comprehensive Range Report that will give everyone a real idea of how good this pistol really is.

I, for one, am really looking forward to it.

JD

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I am gonna "ditto" what JD said.

What kind of upgrades do you have planned, if any? I can see changing the hammer, trigger and maybe barrel bushing. Of course, I know you are gonna get some 8 round Tripps mags for it, and some kind of rattle snake grips. Just keep us posted, brother.

3. Lazy Dave

Lazy Dave New Member

Looks like a nicely finished firarm... bet it's going to get some Wild Bunch shooters looking at it.

You are a lucky pack of B******DS by the time these get downunder we'll be looking at about AU$1100 if we're lucky!!!

I'm pretty sure that this is Remingtons first 1911. The Remington Rand 1911 made in WWII was made by the typewriter and adding machine company only for the war effort. Thay did however make nearly as many as Colt and Ithica combined during WWII, thats why there are so many of them still around.

Lazy Dave

4. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Got a very interesting call from the owner of my local gun store today...
    He asks me if I can stop by this evening and bring my Walther P22 that I have mentioned wanting to trade. :confused:
    Still confused, I told him that it would be tight, but I'll try.
    Just got back....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to the store owner 2 R1's trickled in today. He wanted me to have the first one sold from his store, plus he wanted my P22 that I mentioned I wanted to trade for the Remmy R1. He (store owner) is keeping the other R1 for his own collection.
    He gave me a pretty good price for my P22 ( more than what I was expecting). It's nice to have friends in high places!!
    Remington 1911R1 NIB: $619+ tax minus P22 trade.
    When I got home I checked the ammo box. Yes, I do have plenty of .45ACP ammo. Goin' to the range this weekend!! To be continued...
    Eat your hearts out guys!!

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Nice Underfire!! Very nice! :cool:

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Under,

Damn nice. How's it feel to fall into a bed of thornless roses for once? :D

7. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Thanks bros!!

skull,
    I know, right :)
    I'm all worried if I'm goin' to get one before they become hard to find or worse back-ordered.
    Just to find out that I have someone looking out for me.
    That's how it felt comin' home last night...like I fell "into a bed of thornless roses for once".
    I cleaned & lubed it tonight, fondled it and fondled it some more. :D
    It's very tight & well made. Not as tight as a competition 1911, but tight.
    The wife saw it tonight and handled it...she says she could get use to that.
    Back-OFF Woman :p
    Last night she didn't know what to think...I come home in a blazin' rush, fly through the house, grab a pistol (Walther P22) put it into a plastic case and tell her "I gotta go" and rush off.
    [​IMG]

8. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Looks wonderful next to the 870 on the Remington mat :) congratulations.

9. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Thanks!!
    I DO like Remington products. :cool:
    I wouldn't be able to fit all my Remington firearms, shirts, hats, etc in just one picture. :p
    For Father's Day I'm goin' to the range and try out my new gift.
    Range Report will follow.

Wonder if cane has gotten his yet?
    ...cane?

10. albertk199354

albertk199354 New Member

1911 R1 Quality

I had a pre-order for one and drove up to the dealer in Spokane (130 miles). The attention to quality was a total disappointment. The firearm that was shipped looked as though the front strap was finished with a peening hammer, the slide had a highly visible gouge in the metal under the finish, and the metal on the frame near the slide stop looked as though it was erupting. Other than that, it shoots well and is headed back to the factory. First and last time I pre-order a Remington product

11. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

If it was in that bad of shape, I would have refused it.
    Honestly, I wouldn't of trusted the integrity of the gun enough to shoot it if it arrived in that poor of shape. Hope you get everything resolved.

12. albertk199354

albertk199354 New Member

Thank you for your assessment. The deficiencies I described are all cosmetic. The firearm will be on its way to the factory Monday morning for inspection, repair, or replacement.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good luck. Personally, I wouldn't have accepted it, disappointed as I might have been. I would have had it sent back to the factory immediately and directly from the shop.

14. spittinfire

spittinfire Active Member Supporter

Hey cane, where's the range report?

15. albertk199354

albertk199354 New Member

Good thing this is America

as I got to choose between a potential loss of the down payment (as the dealer was not responsible for the factory QC on what was a special order for them). Now I don't have 260 mile round trips to inspect what comes back from the factory. Best of all, I can return and accept the handgun w/o the need for an FFL. Guess maybe I did what I think best based upon my powers of reasoning and personal preference.

In the end, sorry to have posted anything on here concerning what arrived from Remington in the way of quality of one of the first thousand 1911s that they saw fit to ship.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire Active Member Supporter

So did you get a new pistol or what happen? Customer service is big on this forum, please let us know how they handled the situation.

17. albertk199354

albertk199354 New Member

It'll be going back on Monday

E-RPC provided the UPS overnight label for the return. I'll post back on the delay in their factory and the outcome of the factory suggestions.

The sort of problems I reported are similar to the attention to finishing details of pre-64 Winchester Model 70s. Prior to 1952 the factory took the time to polish out the surfaces removing machining marks etc. After 1952 they could afford the cost of the labor and so the metal work got rougher.

18. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Yes, the other 2 problems you describe sound like cosmetic issues, but the above quote seems to be a bit alarming...at least to me. This is only Saturday, take some pics before you send it back Monday and post them here so that we may all get a good understanding of what was sent to you.
    Hopefully you'll get this resolved soon. No matter what I wouldn't have accepted it and would have worked out something about the deposit.
    But we all handle things differently. Good Luck!!

19. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

So apparently Remington has a truck driving cross country showing off new products, and what was sitting on the rack??? oh yes two straight off the line 1911R1s :D guess living near a Remington factory has its perks! anyways I asked the guy who ran the exhibit how much, said they weren't for sale but retail price would be about $700, but local gun stores would drop 100 dollars on the msrp...I have yet to see or even hear about the R1 around here. i don't live in the DEEP south (and Ky isn't bad on gun laws). Any MAJOR release date or do I have to play the waiting game:confused: