Remington 1911-R1

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jd45, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jd45

jd45 New Member

Hello & Happy New Year to all! I've checked the latest 5 pages of threads for the 1911 Forum & didn't see any mention of this pistol, so I'm asking, does anyone own one & what's your opinion of it? How does it compare to other 1911s decked out similarly? Thanx, jd45

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

they feel ok but that hideous rollmark is a huge turn off. they should have done a toss back to their ww2 fonts and made it unobrtusive without that rolling script.

its competing with springfield armory offerings and some colt offerings yet has a higher price than a ruger sr1911 or ria which is kinda what its close to quality wise... not a winning market position to be in which is likely why you dont see many folks here with them.

it boils down to budget shoppers going for the ria/sr1911 and those wanting a bit more gun go for the sa's and colts. remington has kinda put themselves into a marketing hole

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

3. jd45

jd45 New Member

Thanx Jon, I've seen the RIAs goin for a couple hundred cheaper, which is very seductive. Must be tryin to play off their name. Who's fooled? jd45

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I've had an R1 Enhanced with a fiber optic front sight. The trigger was good out of the box, but a 10-minute polishing made it excellent. The extended thumb safety was also good, crisp but not heavy. The wood grips were excellent. The factory mags worked perfectly. No malfunctions with hundreds of FMJ and SWC (Magtech) rounds, only a few with homemade SWC. It feels like I am not saying much, but that's how it was, a very agreeable well-rounded 1911.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i bought an R1 Enhanced about two years ago. well made, well finished and performs great with all ammo i have tried in it along with my own reloads. outstanding accuracy from it as well. biggest gripes. the factory mags are not the best and it could be priced a little closer to the Ruger SR1911. i did get a pretty good deal on mine, but i wouldn't pay MSRP on the R1 for sure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  6. jd45

jd45 New Member

Thanx for the feedback guys Guess I'll try to find one & take a close look at it, among others. jd45

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have the standard R1, and it's great. It's really accurate. The factory magazines that come with it aren't that great though, but that's an easy fix. I paid $550 for mine. It was technically used, but never shot. It still had the grease from the factory on it.

[​IMG]

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not saying they are junk by any stretch. they are good guns and you wont be getting bad gun if you get one especially if you get a good deal on one.

im just comming at it from a msrp marketing angle

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

They are pretty good. I have a R1S. It had to go back to Remington because of a horrible feed ramp and FTF issues. It works now with the Remington mags, but I switched to Tripp Cobra mags.

Attached Files:

• R1S.jpg
      R1S.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Axxe55

i agree. compared to the SR1911 by Ruger, the Remington is a bit higher.

11. Axxe55

Fred, that's a TALO version isn't it?

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I agree with that (disagree about the rollmark, I kinda like it. :p). When I was looking for a 1911, Remington was not one of the ones I was looking at due to their higher MSPR. I just happened upon one on armslist that was much cheaper.

If you can find them for $100-$200 cheaper than MSPR like I did, they are definitely worth it.

13. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the R1S and love it. As the others stated the mags aren't the best and mine seems to be a bit finicky about my handloads but that has been worked out so it is a non issue. I paid 629 + tax new a year and a half ago and have not seen one for that price since.