Remington 1911 R1, does anyone have one or

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by eborden1122, Feb 7, 2011.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hello Everyone,
    Looking for some input. Does anyone on here own one of the new Remington1911's? How do you like it? How does it shoot?, etc.... The usual questions. Or has anyone heard anything about them, good or bad. It seems from the stuff I have read that it is a pretty good 1911 for the price. Thanks, Ed.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I believe our esteemed mod Canebrake has one and thinks well of it...

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive handled one seems very high quality. only thing i dont like by looking at em is the big ginormous scripted R on the slide.

4. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

Entry level and bare bones. No skeletonized trigger or hammer, no extended thumb safety or beavertail, yada yada yada...but I was surprised how much heavier it felt in hand than its comparatives (RIA, Para, etc.). I think it's something like 39 oz empty. It does sport some dove tailed 3 dot sights, though...compared to the GI sights on some of the other lower end 1911s and it feels super tight.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

not having those is a big plus in it's favor.

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Not anymore. Looks like they just released an "Enhanced" version that has all those things. From the looks of it it seems to be a very nice pistol. Once I get my Springfield all set up the way I like and save up some more money, this could very well end up being m next 1911 purchase.

Here's the link:

http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firearms/Model-1911-enhanced.aspx

-Fred

EDIT: Not sure if it's actually out yet or not. MSRP is supposed to be $940.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

Sweet! I'm digging the Fiber Optic sights... and yeah, that's quite a price bump from the other MSRP - $699...

8. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

that 1911r1 looks pretty nice and the price too.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yep, I have the R1 and I love it. I wanted a GI style 1911 to add to my collection after I retired my dad's M1911A1 from range duty.

The Remington is a well made introductory offering from a gun company that hasn't made handguns for quite some time. A few of the members here have shot my R1 and we all agree it is a good solid $600 1911.

[​IMG]

Here is the report on my R1:

Impressions on the Remington 1911R1

I received my R1's from one of the first shipments and it did have a few issues. They are discussed in the above thread. I sent the gun back to Remington and it was returned in less than a week with all my concerns resolved. They paid for the freight both ways.

I sent the list of problems and photos with the gun. It's my understanding Remington has addressed these issues and have corrected them in production.

I can recommend the R1 with no hesitation if you are looking for a GI style 1911. Do your self a favor should you buy the R1 and don't order any extra mags. They're junk! Get some Tripps and be happy!

If you want a pretty? 1911, I think the $ bump for a $17 hi-vis front sight, a $35 commander hammer, a $12 three hole trigger and a $40 beavertail don't make the muster. Plus they uglied up the R1's clean looks by adding front slide serrations.

There are a lot of $1K 1911's out there equal or better than the Remington Enhanced. If you are spending that kinda cash get something with a good track record.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  10. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Bought a 1911r1 yesterday. First gun for me in 20 years. Was sold a box of 20 Hornady 45 AUTO +P 230 gr TAP FPD hollow points, and 2 50 round boxes of American Eagle 45 AUTO 230 gr Full Metal Jacket to practice with. Trouble is, the manual says not to use +P, and to limit the muzzle velocity to 835 fps. The Hornady comes out at 950 fps, and the AE 890. Took bullets back to dealer who'd sold me the stuff, and was told "Lawyer crap", and "They're just covering their asses". Anybody have any opinion about this.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  11. JonM

JonM Moderator

prolly wouldnt deal with tha gunbroker anymore if he was gonna be a jerk about it.

butttttt it should be ok. i would prolly just get a litle stiffer recoil spring since the stock weight is prolly why they put that warning in place. i dont shoot +p or +P+ out of any of my guns even ones rated for it.

12. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

probably not going to hurt anything if it were just personal protection. for the 1 to 2 rds that should take. but i thought that more fps will cause you to shoot high as well. i dont like that one bit either. personally i never shoot +p and probably never will. jonm also has very good advice on the springs.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  13. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

14. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I have one.
    Bought it for a more traditional looking 1911. Don't like the looks of their enhanced version, or the MSRP.
    Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (weather).

15. flbntz

flbntz New Member

What's the pistol in your profile picture?

Like the look of the pistol in your profile picture. What is that? Looks like a Luger. Haven't shot my 1911 yet, either. Around here you have to join a gun club, and it takes them a month to vote you in. End of March, probably. Unless someone tries breaking into my apartment before that. Just got my carry permit yesterday.

16. BearTaylor

BearTaylor New Member

I bought a R1 about two months ago and after range testing it I purchased another (one for each hand). I've had wonderful experiences with Remington rifles and shotguns through the years and when I heard the arms company was getting back into the 1911 business I had to check it out.

Although I own modern style handguns the R1 has become my main concealed carry weapon.

Bear

17. flbntz

flbntz New Member

I also had good experiences with Remington rifles, and shotguns. Got a semiautomatic .22 rifle with a nylon stock for Christmas when I was twelve. Was so excited, I went down, and unwrapped it while everyone was sleeping, carefully rewrapped it, and then feigned surprise the next morning when I reopened it. Then, when I was sixteen, and had my first job, traded a single shot lever action 20 gauge Ithaca shotgun my dad had gotten for me, for a Remington 12 gauge pump Wingmaster. Beautiful gun. And my dad's favorite deer rifle, which he had a hair trigger on, and reloaded his own bullets for, was a Remington bolt action 30-06. I'd eventually like to get some of the more modern handguns, too, and maybe a .357 magnum revolver, but being a student, I can only afford one right now, so I'm glad to have this one. I sold the Remington shotgun I had while I was a student in another discipline, years ago, but would also like to get a Remington Marine Magnum with an eighteen inch barrel, 12 gauge pump, eventually, for home defense.

18. BearTaylor

BearTaylor New Member

I shoot standard 230 grain Winchester and Remington FMJ and JHP ammo through all four of my .45 ACP handguns. I don't have any need for higher pressure rounds because a .45 will blow through over an inch thick board and leave behind a big hole in the process. That's plenty of power for me.

You can't beat the 870 pump shotgun for just plain old toughness. I've owned the 12 ga. Express model for many years and it's never failed me. Likewise with the Rem. 7400 semi-auto 30-06 rifle. It was a tack driver out of the box and can still thread a needle. Remington Arms makes good quality guns and I didn't expect any less with the R1.

Fibntz, you've got the right idea--get an education and don't buy junk guns. It's better to buy one good gun that you can afford than a dozen cheap firearms that you can't trust.

Bear

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  19. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Thanks for the message, Bear. Good to hear from you. I am glad I got the Remington. It's just such a beauty, and feels perfect in my hand. I can't wait to shoot it. It's a gun you can be proud of.

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is worthy of a quote as it coincides with my sentiments exactly...