Remington 121 Fieldmaster what's it worth?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by blucoondawg, Dec 26, 2013.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

My FIL passed on a couple yrs back and the MIL is looking to sell off some of the guns which aren't "family" guns, among them is a Remington 121 Fieldmaster, the serial number on the left side of the receiver is 4119, which I assume would make it in the first year or 2 of production being mid 1930s I believe, however I don't have the barrel code which everything online tells me is how they dated the guns.

This particular rifle is in darn good shape, I don't know if it is a refinish or if it has just been well maintained, maybe not mint but very good I would call it.

I haven't shot it yet but assuming everything functions well does anyone have any idea what it would be worth? I am going to buy it and want to pay the MIL a fair price. I know I have seen some of the Winchester pump 22s in rather rough condition at gun shows with tags of over $600 but I know nothing about the Remingtons, I would assume 300ish maybe the ballpark what do you think? Wish I had some pics but I don't as of yet.

2. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

with the limited description that should be close.

3. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

$250-$350 seems to be the ballpark on these. If the reciever has been tapped for scope base it moves down to the lower end. Highest I've every actually sold one for at a show was $475. That was at the height of the craziness last year. Everything I had sold out at that show! I've had two across my table since I started dealing. Not too common but a great little hunting rifle. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

There are so many varables not being able to see the rifle. However if you can get it for $300 and it is in good shape it is not a bad buy. And especially if it has not been refenished.

5. awahlster

awahlster New Member

LGS had one here a few months ago. In very nice condition I would say about 90%. It had of course been completely checked out by their inhouse gunsmith. And they were asking $350 and told me for cash they would have gladly come down to $325.00 My son almost bought it but then a New Henry Frontier (octagon barrel) .22LR caught his eye.

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

next time I am up there I will take a look at it and get some pics that hopefully turn out decent. It doesn't have a scope however I don't know if it was tapped or not. Thanks for the replies, it kinda confirms what I was thinking.

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have 121 that belonged to my Dad. It's the gun I learned to shoot with. Many nice memories with Dad teaching. When beer bottles came with shiny metal seal under the cap, my Mom could hit them at 50 yards every time. Its probably the gun they would have to pry from my cold dead hands. Reliable, accurate, fast and handles like it is part of me. I wouldn't sell it for any amount.

8. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

It's your MIL, even if you pay over current market value that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    300 ish, buy it and hang onto it.

They're neat rigs and not often seen.

My dad had one and I was a terror on squirrels with it. BTW, shot my largest groundhog ever with it too. Walnut and steel man.................the feeling of taking that afield in the fall is damn near priceless.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yes, paying over value for anything is a bad thing no matter who it is. There are a number of guns I am considering buying and if I pay an extra 100 here and 50 there by not looking into what they are actually going for I will be out a couple grand that I don't have.

10. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

'Market value' is what a person is willing to spend on it. The numbers in the books arent gospel, just ballpark estimates. You dont see the numbers change up and down every few months, but (for example) a deer rifle will usually bring more thru the fall and winter, as opposed to early summer, because of demand. So the numbers float. Also, I may be willing to spend $500 on something that the book says $450, but another person would only spend $400. To each their own.

11. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Understand that regional influences can change the value of a gun and the "price books" are often in error to that (and sometimes differing by quite a bit between books). Auction sites seem to inflate the prices even more (all it takes is somebody with the cash who wants that item badly, doesn't want to keep looking so pays top dollar, and everybody else thinks there's is worth the same).

BTW $50 to 100 (once or in multiple) is cheap insurance against an insulted mother in law.

It;s good to check some references, Blue Book, and the other one (whatever next biggest named one there is- I forget) and GB and GA auction sites. Plus look at your local market.

In the old days Old Model Rugers got more in Texas and East and West coast. Midwest the prices were a bit less. Now with the web the price online seems to be the same no matter where. Regionally though, one can score some decent deals.

Not a screamer, but i got a 3 screw SBH..........minty (but no box)............for $500. Same gun in a shop 2 hrs away would fetch well past 700. Crazy, but he gets way more than my LGS does, and my LGS is bigger. Dunno what all drives his market.........but 40% is quite a bit!

12. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Yes, bnty is correct.

Always buy out of season :)

Now with IN having "rifles" legal for deer (have been for some time but it seems to be gaining favor now) some guns that sat on shelves forever are in high demand (like Marlin 336 in .35 rem, legal if cases trimmed).

Even my .35 Rem TC barrel, got it used for $175, it getting almost twice that on the used market. Demand is stupid HIGH.

It has really slammed the .44 hunting handgun market, lots of used .44 revolvers for sale. Probably why my LGS had the pristine old model for a good price :)

13. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I look at value of something as what people have actually been selling them for or buying them for not what some book value is our what inflated prices the gun gypsies put on their wares via gunbroker. I don't have to worry about an insulted mother in law. People in my neck of the woods don't have extra money to throw away just for the heck of it

Sent from my XT1080 using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

I actually saw a 121 Fieldmaster at a pawn shop yesterday. They wanted $599 for it. It might of hit the 70% mark, but only maybe. Granted, every gun in that place is at least a little high.

15. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

My local gun and pawn is the same way. They are the most reasonable dealer around on new guns but their used stuff is horribly over priced

Sent from my XT1080 using Firearms Talk mobile app

16. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

My LGS is reasonable and even offers good deals regularly (on new and used).
    Pawn shops..... I have found to be way overpriced, but if they sit on something long enough might make you a screaming deal. I'm never there when that happens, but know some folks who hit 'em regularly and get decent rigs for fair prices.

Have seen some nice rigs come through my LGS...........old old Colts, Smiths, military and other.
    Good variety, never know what will show up.

Good stock means the gun vultures circle everyday. Snooze, even a catnap, and you can LOOSE.

BTW, I haven't been there for 2 days.............better make a check ;)

17. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Last decent deal I found at that pawn shop was a '62 Win mod 12 Featherweight 12g. They didnt know what they had and had it all mismarke, cant remember what they marked it as. Was 90%, maybe a little better. Got out the door for $352.44.
    But this same place will mark a beat up old model 60 at $160 or better. Lol.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014