Remington 1100 cycling issues

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ToddJ, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ New Member

A 1978 1100 2 3/4 with a complete cleaning, new gas ring, new action spring, still will not completely cycle a 1 1/8 oz. load, hammer resets, but the bolt is not coming back enough to eject, any suggestions?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

How much powder?

3. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

First tell us about your ammo. Factory or reloads and if reloads, load information.

You mention a complete cleaning, did that include cleaning the gas ports in the barrel sleeve that slides over the magizine tube? For those i use pipe cleaners, soak one in solvent and brush through the ports, followed by a second one dry to finish cleaning.
    2 3/4 inch bbls usually have two gas ports, while 3 inch magnum bbls have only 1 port, has your bbl possibly been exchanged with a 3 inch bbl? if so that could cause the symptoms you discribe.
    Also was the replacement action spring for a magnum gun? That might cause the same issues.

4. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

This----for a quick fix i blow the ports out with WD-40

5. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

JIC someone else has this issue - call Remington's 800 number, ask for technical support and then ask them the gas port dimensions and the corresponding drill bit size. Carbin deposits can be stubborn and defy pipe cleaners w solvent & blast of compressed air etc. - use the "correct size" drill bit by hand and slowly work each hole until you clean it out. I got this tip from Seamus's semi famous Baretta 391 Survival handbook where the correct drill bit size is 1/8.

6. ToddJ

ToddJ New Member

Factory ammo 2 3/4 Dr.Eq. gas ports have been cleaned, factory barrel. Action spring was an factory replacement

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Do you have the original style gas piston and piston seal, installed correctly? Is your O ring in good shape? Does the magazine tube where the gas system rides look good? Try the old spring. There is no Magnum action spring, they are all the same. With the action spring removed, does the action bar sleeve, bars, and bolt run smoothly all the way? I have seen bent action bars.

8. ToddJ

ToddJ New Member

Yes to all, gas o-ring is new and everything is installed correctly, everything is original, with exception of gas o-ring and action spring, with the old action spring in, it wouldn't cycle either.
    Last night with the trigger assembly out, working the action, close to the end where the rail comes in contact with the shell release, there is what seems to be too much resistance to operate the shell release..........compared to other 1100's

9. ToddJ

ToddJ New Member

The action bar sleeve works fine and the magazine tube is in fine condition
    Action bar is in fine looking condition, the ears are fine and it still maintains is wishbone shape

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I think you are calling the link the action bar. The action bars run back from the sleeve to the bolt carrier. It sounds like the edge of the notch on the action bar that engages the shell latch is worn or buggered up. It should have an angle on the leading edge to allow it to move the shell latch to the side easily. Or the engaging edge of the shell latch could be messed up.

11. ToddJ

ToddJ New Member

So I take the 1100 and change out parts with another, one at a time, firing after every exchange, changing out all parts including barrel......with no luck, still will not cycle the Winchester Universal

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Aha! Lots of guns have problems with Winchester Universals. The steel rims expand and grip the chamber creating excessive drag. I have seen Expresses, Novas, Mossbergs, and even a BPS being beat on the ground to try and eject these. You could try honing the chamber to make sure it is smooth and there is no plastic or other build-up at all. Easiest route is to use different shells. My 1100s will cycle them, but the rip the heck out of a lot of the shell bases doing it.

13. ToddJ

ToddJ New Member

Thanks. Hone the cylinder at the beginning, but I will go back and double check

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Maybe you had a typo, but I said hone the chamber, not the cylinder. An automotive drum brake wheel cylinder hone is best - even better than the gunsmithing hones Brownells sells for this. And way cheaper at any auto parts store. The straight stones will remove any ridges as well as polish it up nicely. The ball hones only polish any ridges.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you can download an owners manual for an 1100 the gas rings need to be in a certain order for low brass shells and in another order for high brass shells. I am not into remington products but I have seen people at deer camp changing the order of the gas ring and O ring for high brass shells to shoot buckshot. I have seen 1100's that were single shots unless everything was configured properly for the shells you are shooting.

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The 1100 does not use switchable rings. The gas piston and piston seal must be installed correctly and the same way for all loads. Anyone who switches them around has been listening to way too many old wives tales.

17. ToddJ

ToddJ New Member

This is good John Deere, thanks very much

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

That is one of the better articles out there. I agree with him completely about NOT drilling gas ports out. Skeet barrels, and the new Sporting Target Contour barrels have larger ports to accommodate the mouse fart loads many want to shoot these days, and they caution against the use of heavy loads with those. Standard field ports are 0.079", and Skeet/Target are 0.086". However, the OP's gun should work with 1-1/8 ounce loads. I think it's the cheap Winchesters. An acquaintance broke two extractors running those in his Skeet barrel. After honing the chamber it rips the shell bases but they do cycle. Lot's of guns have problems with those. Does it work with the Federal or Remington WalMart value pack loads?

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I broke in my new Mossberg 500c with steel hulls and never had an issue. It does pump much smoother with AA shells but if times were hard I wouldn't hesitate to shoot steel hlls. The 500c does have a loose cylinder. You can feel it when I resize/deprime hulls. I can resize 12 ga full brass hulls with the same amount of energy.

Shot shells have gone up to the point that reloading is worth the effort and I am getting a great wad for the load I am shooting plus fiocchi shot is harder than most shot on the market.