Remington 1100/870

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ReeseD951, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ReeseD951

ReeseD951 New Member

I've gotten into Trap shooting, and i've wondered what type of shotgun to get. Ive looked at both the Remington 870 express and the 1100. Fired the 870 at the local range(it was thier loaner) and it kept jamming after about 15 shots, i don;t know if it was the Shells or not (they were estate's). I have not Held or Fired the 1100 yet. but i was told by a friend that they are not good. someone clear this up for me?

2. OC357

OC357 New Member

The 1100 is a smoothe and fast shooter for skeet/trap. That's what I used mine for. It never failed to fire or eject a case.

I never had an 870 so I can't speak to that.

Welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post.

OC

3. ReeseD951

ReeseD951 New Member

I talked to my friends dad about that, he said that it's cheating (opinion) but i have one questoin about the 1100 then, HOW do you load it? fromt he bottom or the side where the bolt/action is?

4. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

870's & 1100's load from the bottom.
    I have 2 Rem 870's and have never had any kind of failure with them.
    The one you tried out may need some maintenance, since it is a loaner and has been handled & mishandled by many.
    Both are great guns. Which one to buy? It all depends if you want a semi or pump.

5. ReeseD951

ReeseD951 New Member

Ok, but can't you load the 870 pump from the side with the action open? IE: Drop the shell in and close the action? Or is that an improper way to load it for a Single shot on trap. I'm Most likely not going hunting with either of these guns unless it sparks my interest

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Yes, you can drop a round in the ejection port on the 870 with the action open. Talk to the folks who shoot sporting clays, Skeet and Trap. See what recomendations they have on an entry level shotgun.

7. OC357

OC357 New Member

Haha....how would the 1100 be cheating?? You only get 2 clays and therefore 2 shots at a time. Sometimes I use a double (Antonio Zoli Golden Eagle) ......2 barrels.....2 pulls. Just as fast as the autoloader with 2 shots.

OC

8. rfield

rfield New Member

Cycling the action on the 870 might pull you off target for the second shot, but I wouldn't call it cheating to use a semi.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I have had 1100s for 46 years and highly recommend them, and 870s for 35 years and think pretty highly of them two. I have never had a reliability problem with either gun. I have tried/shot just about everything else that has come along before or since and haven't felt the need to change yet.
    The conventional way you load either is first shell in the open port, close action, however many more you want in the bottom loading port.
    An 1100, being gas operated, is among the softest shooting guns that exist. This matters to a lot of people shooting hundreds of rounds at clay pigeons. The 870 was once very common on the traplines of America, but the over and unders became the fashionable darlings of gun writers in the 1960s. One advantage of an 870 is that is does not throw empties and possibly hit the guy on your right on the trap field. 1100 Trap models have a small piece on the barrel to deflect the empties down, and they sell shell catchers for the regular models, too.
    I love to take my 1100 Magnum duck gun to one particular club. It does not eject the light trap load empties automatically, and this one local "expert" always has to say something, and I always reply "I know, I like it that way." The fact that I am at best an occassional casual trap guy and can usually keep up with him is frosting on the cake.
    If you can shoot, an 1100 or an 870 will keep up with anything else out there, regardless of price.

10. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

You need an Auto 5 with the speedloader....;)

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I had an 1100 it was good till a 5 cent o-ring got a nick then it wouldn't do anything.

I know a few guys who have taken trips to south america dove hunting. the guides and shell boys call the Remington 1100 the 550 because it only works half the time. With that said you can see well over 1000 shots a day down there dove hunting. So guns take a ton of abuse and see hot dirty environments.

What kind of trap are you shooting? Olympic, wobble, double?

If you are shooting Olympic trap then you only shoot one shot at one bird. That is where the Browning BT-99 and like guns come in. http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=009B&catalog_=B

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  12. davemccarthy707

They don't like the cold and freezing rain etc. that we get here in Newfoundland. They love to freeze up. Useless for turre hunting in a boat. The only gun here guaranteed to fire and cycle is the Auto-5. But hey that's this environment, maybe a nice dry gun range in 30c weather it will work great.:)

13. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Auto 5 ? Isn't that another gun the 1100 ran off the market?
    I have hunted down to minus 11 degrees F (that's minus 24 C if my math is right) with no problems at all. The last time anyone I hunted with used an Auto 5 duck hunting, it got encased in ice from the spray and could not cycle. I got a huge kick out of it because he had been bugging me about getting an 1100 instead of an A-5. I told him what was going to happen and I had put my arm over the port on my gun.
    There is nothing wrong with an 1100, or an Auto 5, or the Beretta, or most of the other semi automatics out there that having someone who knows what they are doing behind the trigger wouldn't cure 99.99% of the problems one sees. I had an A5, nothing wrong with it, well made gun, I just didn't like the feel of the gun, or any long recoil action.
    I like the 1100 and it fits me. My first one took me from a standing joke to high junior league skeet average in about 8 months and I have never looked back. I have never had an 'O' ring fail in 46 years. The only way they get damaged is taking them off over the threads for cleaning and not being careful. But, doesn't everyone carry a spare anyway?
    I will probably never go dove shooting in South America, but if I did I guess I would have to carry a little can of RemOil and a rag with me, and take a 5 minute time out every 400 rounds or so. I'm not so bloodthirsty that that would bother me.

14. davemccarthy707

-24c? thats summertime here lol. I love watchin my buddy using his single shot 1100 when we are rabbit hunting. His goes bang ,mine goes bang bang bang everytime. When duck hunting in the wintertime with any semi auto I always put my coat over the action. Salt spray will freeze any gun including pump guns.

15. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Many years ago I went goose hunting with three brothers. All had 1100's, and I had a Winchester 1200. All three 1100's saw numerous jams, while my pump just kept shooting.

16. ReeseD951

ReeseD951 New Member

Thanks everyone for your opinions, i think i've decided on what i'd like to get. The Remington 870 express with a synthetic monte carlo stock. I'm going to a store to find one that fits nicely. Thanks again FTF community!

17. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Great choice!!!
    You'll be very happy with a Rem 870.
    870's are entry level shotguns that experts will use.

18. clospaz

clospaz New Member

I can't speak to the 870 since I've never shot it, but I own an 1100 and I love it. I have never had a single jam or miss fire. Its an easily affordable gun and gets the job done every time. As for cheating, I don's see how. If because of rapid fire, then O/U's are cheating too since they fire the same speed. As for holding more shells, you should only be loading the same number of shells as clays being presented and no shooting clay sport presents more than 2 at a time. I think it is probably just a preference on your friend's dad's part.

19. ET1

ET1 New Member

I own an 870 Express with synthetic stock and love it. It is set up as my HD gun with tacticool stuff on it , not exactly a hunting/clay target type of gun for me. Great little shotgun for the money no matter how you set it up or use it. I'm sure you will love your 870!!!!

20. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

You will love the 870. All the chatter about 1100's is true IF you do not clean them. Most trap shooters I know are meticulous about their equipment and keep the clean. The money you save from getting an 870 you can through towards a spare barrel. If it comes with a standard vent ribbed barrel, get the store to order you a Trap Barrel. Has a higher rib on it. Switch them out when you go hunting and you will have a great all around gun.