remington 03A3

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mountainman13, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well I have been rather bored lately with no work. Had a glock cleaning cancelled on me last week. Today a guy showed up with a 1942 remington 03A3 barrel/receiver he found in an old house. I offered to buy it (have the stock and some parts already) but he wants me to build it for him. I priced it out for him (parts only) to give him an idea. And then informed him that gunsamerica.com has an all original one on auction for $800 (likely in the area of the cost of the build). Looking forward to doing the build but I had intended to build one for myself first. Kinda hope he just sells to me.

Attached Files:

2. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

But this way you get the fun of the build on the customers dime. I have found this to be very therapeutic when going thru 45 withdrawal.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah I figure if he wants to do the build it should be a good down payment on a set of laser grips for the glock.
    Still I can't help hoping he just decides to sell the barrel and receiver to me for like $200.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Update:
    The guy contacted me today to let me know he is price shopping for parts. He things he has a guy that can get them cheaper.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I never take my car to a shop to get it fixed and supply my own parts.

If I did that, then why would I need the shop?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah considering I had to explain what an 03A3 is and the caliber I'm interested in seeing the outcome of his search. Maybe it will lead me to a new connection.
    Ah well wait and see.

7. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Oh, you got that customer! I was wondering where he went after I closed up shop. When I had him he wanted to rebuild an old shotgun he found in the closet of a house he was flipping.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lmfao. Sounds like him. Good guy, likes guns but doesn't know a whole lot about them. Lol

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I just want him to decide if he wants to build the thing or sell me the parts already.

10. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

He wants you to build it for him at a discount then he will sell it to you at retail when he realizes he wanted an off the rack Rem 700 in 308!

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol I've actually had people bring a gun to me have me fix it and then try to sell it to me as if it hadn't been worked on before. They tend to get angry when you offer them half of what they want.
    I did explain to him he would be better off just buying an all original as it would be relatively close to the cost of the build. I also told him I would just buy the barrel/receiver from him for $200.

12. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I hope he comes around and sells it to you. I never liked doing a build for a customer who wasn't 100% sure of what they wanted, they just never were satisfied.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

That sounds a lot like car sales.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah but better that than one who wants something done that costs more than what the gun is worth. In that scenario I'm not satisfied.

15. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

How very true