Remember the Heroes - June 6, 1944

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by lonyaeger, Jun 6, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

***The Ultimate in Respect*** 66 years ago today..

[​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Indeed. God bless them all.

My flags are flying today. Never forget.

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, never forgotten.

Attached Files:

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Their sacrifices kept us free. I will never forget the gift they gave this country and the world!

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Avatar changed accordingly. Those brave men headed into hell that day to fight for the world's freedom. Around 10,000 of them never made it inland.

I had a sombering conversation with an older man in the city of Caen. He showed me where his family's farm was before the Nazis took it over and killed his father and his uncle. He made me promise to thank any of those men who freed France should I ever meet them. I've never forgotten that.

6. bizy

bizy New Member

To bad..

It is really too bad we don't have the same respect for America that the men and women had 66 years ago. A time of John Wayne, apple pie and 'ol glory. Our country is going down the tubes with political correctness.

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

The Great Men who gave so much for the freedom of so many. If only our country were as good now as it was then. A time when we were truly a superpower.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

"The Greatest Generation" in their "Finest Hour!"

Operation Overlord 4th Infantry Division lands on Utah Beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Dad.

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks Cane's Dad.

10. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

don't forget the canadians.my dad is gone now but my uncle frank is still alive.he was flying lancasters as a flying sgt.
    pete

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

The British, Canadians and Australians.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

NORMANDY AMERICAN CEMETERY COLLEVILLE SUR MER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the conclusion of the fighting in Normandy, there were more than ten American cemeteries on the battlefield, with hundreds of small burial grounds and isolated graves. The American Battle Monuments Commission (AMBC) repatriated at least 60% of these burials back to the United States, and concentrated the remaining casualties into two main cemeteries; one
    in Normandy and another in Britanny.

To a size of 172.5 acres, the Normandy American Cemetery has 9,387 burials of US service men and women. Of this number, some 307 are unknowns, three are Medal of Honour winners and four are women. In addition there are 33 pairs of brothers buried side by side. It is the largest American Cemetery from WW2, but not the largest in Europe: that is the Meuse-Argonne Cemetery from WW1 with more than 14,000 burials.

The main body of the cemetery is rectangular with the main paths laid out in the pattern of a Latin cross.

[​IMG]

13. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I will always remember the heroes that have fought, and died, for freedom throughout the world. My Father was in the Pacific Theater during WWII in the Marine Corps. He was also in Korea with Chesty Puller's bunch. And 2 tours in Vietnam. My Father is my hero and to me, he represents those of his generation that did so much for this country.

[​IMG]

My Father flies a similar setup to the one above every day.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Those cemeteries are considered American soil, and our tax dollars are put go good use for the upkeep. Someday I will locate some of the pictures I took when there, and post some. Most of the areas of landing remain untouched. Huge craters, German bunkers and other evidence of battle have been left as they were (sans the artillary) after the Allied forces captured them. It is hard to just stand there and look at the area without allergies getting the best of you.

I have met a few vets over the years who were ther , and I have told them of the metting I had with the older Frenchman in Caen. I have never gotten through the whole story without welling up. I hope I have always conveyed the sincere manner in which he meant.