Rem-Oil question.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cottontop, Dec 29, 2011.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I have used Rem-Oil for years on my shotguns. In fact, I use it to clean the bore as well as all exterior surfaces and the bores come out very clean. Now that I have gotten back into rifles, I am wondering if Rem-Oil will be good for cleaning the bores of rifles or should I use some kind of solvent such as Hoppes?
    cottontop

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I use hoppes for the bore and for cleaning heavy buildup, and remoil for moving parts.

3. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I second that.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

What about Ed's Red?

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

rem-oil is good for wipe down and lubing, but you need something like hoppe's #9 to clean the bore. i use the rem-oil and hoppe's also barnes copper cleaner to cut through the copper fouling.

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Thanks guys. Hoppes for the bore and rem oil for the rest. I guess there really isn't any one product that will clean the bore and lube and protect the rest of the gun all at the same time. Just trying to find an easy way out. I really don't mind cleaning guns and it is a kind of labor of love. There is nothing I hate more that seeing an abused or neglected gun. Besides just the smell of Hoppes brings back memories of deer camps long past of the 50's and 60's. Guess I will have to get some Hoppes.
    cottontop

8. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

Make sure when you use hoppes patch it til it dry inside. If you don't after time the gun won't function the way you like it to, that what they call hoppes buildup

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Or change to breakfree clp. For your basic cleaning, libe and protection. Kroil oilor hoppies for when serious cleaning is needed

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would use Hoppes or Shooter's Choice as a solvent for cleaning.

And for lube I would use Breakfree, G-96, or the Mobile One Synthetic formula we have shared here on the Forum on many occasions.

And unless you are going to store a rifle or have it in a damp place it is really not a good idea to lube the bore. It will normally cause the first shot to go high compared to your regular zero! But do if you are going to store it for a period. You can always dry patch it several times before shooting.

Lastly do not use Rem Oil on a AR Rifle. AK or other tactical rifle. It's Viscosity is too thin and will bake off quickly if you are shooting a lot of rounds.

So, Don't Jump Yet!
    Not saying it is a bad product in any way. Just saying it is not goo for the AR Rifles. It is excellent for other applications.

11. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Break-Free CLP covers most cleaning, lubrication, and protection needs. This stuff works great and is easy to use and is convenient.

12. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I use Rem-Oil, FP-10, Hoppe's #9 and Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber on occasion. I'll have to try Break-Free CLP.

13. msup752

msup752 New Member

I use a relatively new product developed locally called Gunzilla. It is a plant based CLP that does not attract dust and dirt like petroleum based products will. Plus it does not have the odor or haz-mat issues that other cleaners have.
    I have used Sweets, #9, Elite and CLP and this is much better. Unfortunately, it is probably only available online for most. All of the Lansing area Gun shops and Police supply places around Lansing carry it.
    It dissolves just about everything and when I wipe it off, it leaves a dry layer of lubricant.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

msup752 I don't find gunzilla has the staying power on a firearm that breakfree clp has. Gunzila is good for .22lr for sure. But if a rifle sits around alot between seasons I have allways been able to pull a rifle out fingering it to get to another, put it back and never have finger acid issues or drying out that rem oil ,and other old school guns oil have.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have anything against Remoil, but if you like to use an oil as you described, buy youself a quart of Mobile one, and you will not have to buy oil for years. I think it is every bit as good as Remoil. I keep an old Remoil bottle full of it all the time.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I used a bottle of Rem-Oil once, but now I use Lucas..........

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

remoil is pretty much the same thing as 3in1 oil and sewing machine oil. its extremely lightweight. as sniper03 says its no good on parts that see any heat.

my preference is clp for light cleaning and pistol bores. hoppes#9 for rifle bores. for lube gun grease and motor oil.

18. grizzlymag

grizzlymag New Member

I use Ballistol sportsman's oil for just about everything . Good for cleaning black powder guns too. Beeman metalophilic compound no.5 is a good oil to wipe off fingerprints, it neutralizes salt and sweat.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Ed's red is for cleaning dirty barrels.

I use tranny fluid on any barrels I suspect aren't fully clean,

or if I'm using the gun again soon.

Rem Oil is nice, but I have to eat, too, so I use Mobil 1...