rem model 600 extractor

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mtnsmith, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mtnsmith

mtnsmith New Member

does any one know how to install an extractor and its rivet in a rem 600? A buddy of mine has one with a missing extractor and rivet and would like to install himself.. Any suggestions?:confused:

Thanks

mtnsmith

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

After adding up the costs of the tools involved, it's cheaper to have a gunsmith install & stake the rivet than it would be to buy the tools that will likely only be used once or twice.

As to how to do it, you sit it down on the anvil and use the rivet staking tool by striking it with a hammer. If you don't use the anvil it's a LOT harder to stake it correctly.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. mtnsmith

mtnsmith New Member

Stalking bear thanks for the links, however I could not seem to find a model 700 specific staking tool.. They listed shotgun staking tools, but can that be used for the Rem bolt extractor?

mtnsmith..

4. stalkingbear

Just use the proper size staking punch (1/8 or 1/16).

5. mtnsmith

mtnsmith New Member

OK here is a curve ball, will the rem 700 rivetless extractor fit this bolt? It is virtually identical and I see no reason why it would not work.. Am I wrong about this?

mtnsmith...

6. stalkingbear

You can try it but I'd recommend staying with the riveted version for positive placement of the extractor.