Rem 870 Sticky Extraction

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by BILLYBOB44, Jan 17, 2009.

1. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Just picked up a used 870 at the gun show. Will not always extract case, Extractor (only 1 on outboard side of bolt??) seems to have enough spring tension? Any ideas??:mad:

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Oil the wee-wee out of it and work it.

3. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Hit the whole thing with Gunzilla!

4. MXFun86

MXFun86 New Member

Disassemble the gun, remove to bolt, and use your favorite oil based lubricant. I use a product only available at a Fastenal. Works better than anything else I've ever used. Move the extractor back and forth with your fingers while lubing. When it moves freely wipe the excess oil off and reassemble and test. Remember, too much oil is worse than no oil. If that doesn't get it, find the mechanism that actuates the extractor, and check for physical damage. Look for other missing parts, like a roll pin or the like. I was missing a roll pin on my AR bolt when I bought it and it wouldn't eject casings until the dealer I bought it from gave me a new bolt.

5. RePete

RePete New Member

What ammo were you using?

Cheap Wally World?

If so, try real ammo before stripping, unless the gun is dirty.

The steel bases or alloy bases do not spring back as much as brass bases, therefore the steel/alloy based b hulls stick.

I proved this Monday with a friend and his Norinco Outlaw (a side by side w/exposed hammers). Firing the cheap crap you had to break the gun open across the knee, but it was normal extraction using my stiffer reload in AA hulls.

6. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Found the problem

Shortly after posting this thread, I found the problem. The front edge of the ejector has been broken, missing. This leaves a small gap-about 1/8"- between the end of the barrel,and the front of the ejector. The rim of the case jams into this gap, and pulls free of the bolt, leaving case in the middle of the action. Need ejector,ejector spring, 2 revits to repair-thanks for the replys.:)

7. rugermike

rugermike New Member

I have a Shop in southern Indiana

If you need help or the parts I can get them for you?
    e-mail me at mikem@tls.net