Rem 700 sps 308 ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Quickfire1, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Quickfire1

Quickfire1 New Member

Hi everyone im looking for a good long rang ammo for 5-800 yrds does anyone have any good idea?

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Well the questions start. Are you shooting a 12" gong or a 6ft target? Some Surplus ammo is outstanding, other then that handloads. If you start buying match ammo you better have deep pockets.

3. Quickfire1

Quickfire1 New Member

It is a 12" target or close to that size

4. Quickfire1

Quickfire1 New Member

An match ammo is a little bit out of my rang right now but not totally out of the question

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You first need to find a type of ammo that your gun will shoot accurately.Not all rifles will shoot the same type of ammo well.
    If you have some that will shoot moa or better at 100 yards,then it most likely will shoot good at farther ranges,but there are plenty of other variables that fall into play shooting at longer ranges.

6. Quickfire1

Quickfire1 New Member

Right i was kind of looking for my particular gun i have been shooting. Winchester super x through it an it has done well, but im a little worried that the the 150 grain bullet wont travel as well in the wind which never seems to stop around our farm

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am guessing that at the distance you're stated you want to shoot, that this target shooting? might want to step up to about 165 gr weight bullet so that it will not be as swayed by the wind. unless you reload, then probably premium or match grade ammo is about the best solution. you might have to try several different brands and types to find what is best suited for your rifle. premium or match grade ammo is usually much more expensive also.

might be good time to think about reloading. you can make ammo that is fine tuned to your rifle that is much more cost effective than the factory premium ammo.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

9. Quickfire1

Quickfire1 New Member

Ok thanks ill check it out an also look into the reload sidenof things

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Federal Gold Match with the 168 gr Sierra BTHP is the standard everyone else is judged against. Out to 600 or so, I would default to that load. 800 is a different animal. 175 is called for

11. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

168gr SMK's might get you to 800 but that is really pushing it. Lightest I would go is 175gr SMK's but my go to load for F-class is 185gr Berger VLD's in Laupa Brass over 44gr of Varget light up by a wolf Large Rifle Primer. That load is safe in my rifle and might not be safe in yours.

12. Quickfire1

Quickfire1 New Member

Ill give it a try i have not had alot of luck with any of the Federal ammo i have used