Rem 700 AAC-SD.308 Purchase - Any good advice to share?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 0351_Vet, Jan 9, 2013.

1. 0351_Vet

0351_Vet New Member

Please share with me your thoughts or experiences with this rifle. Also any setup idea. I plan on getting a can (AAC) in a few months.
    Thanks in advance. Semper Fi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

After purchasing the gun replace the stock with a good quality stock that allows for free floating the barrel. Hs, manners,mcmillan..ect
    Then purchase a great scope. This is the most important but most comprised area on a rifle.
    The remington 700 platform is a hell of a system. I have used it over seas for close to 7 years. Its a force to be reckoned with. Semper fi brother!

3. tomArizona

tomArizona New Member

I am also looking to purchase one. I hear from my army sniper bud that for the money the swfa super sniper is the best. Like he said for the money. Leupold mark 4 is what I like but the price of $1400 is high for me. Log onto sniper central and sniper hide. Central will tell you how to build that into a precision shooting gun for under $800. Both web sites have built that gun and a Howa and sell both for under $1500 ready to shoot. I am sure they would have some up grades u might be interested in. Central cost $100 per year for membership. To my knowledge hide is free.

4. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Great rifle, I have the standard rem 700 sps tactical chambered in 308. I started my rifle off with a super sniper 10x fixed, great optics for the money. A truly functional budget build optic. I eventually upgraded to a vortex viper 5-15x44 mil mil rifle scope. I think vortex has come a long way, their scopes are excellent quality, and their warranty can hold its own against Leupolds. I run them on all my rifles, and would recommend them to anyone.

5. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I bought the Remington 700 SPS-V in .308 a couple of years back. The first thing I did was change out the synthetic stock with a heavy laminate stock with aluminum bedding blocks. The heavy varmint barrel free floats in it. I then topped it off with heavy scope rings and a KonusPro M-30 6-25x44mm scope. Then I took out the factory floor plate and added a 10 round detachable magazine. This thing is an extremely accurate rifle and its capabilities exceed my own.

image-904906605.jpg

6. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Nice looking rifle, what brand floor plate did you go with? My action is sitting in a bell and Carlson, I didn't like the webbing so I did a gap camo duracoat job on it myself. I went with the wyatts bottom metal since it was a drop in to any factory rem 700 stock cutout without inletting from a gunsmith.

Attached Files:

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

TG, what brand of laminate stock is that? i really like the looks of it and the bedding block is a nice touch as well.

8. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Here is the one I ordered from stockysstocks.com. It required absolutely zero fitting and fits like a glove. I found out real quick that it feeds out of the magazine about 3x as smooth as feeding from the staggered internal mag. I went with the 10 round version cause you just never know when you might need those extra rounds! I guess I might order a 5 round mag for it at some point.

9. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

That is a Long Range Target/Tactical from stockysstocks.com. It a drastic improvement over the pos synthetic that came on it.

10. 0351_Vet

0351_Vet New Member

Thanks for all the replies and Semper Fi Brotha's.

Thanks for all the replies and Semper Fi Brotha's.

I have almost decided: Okay, the Black w Grey Webbing B&C M40A5 (As shown in first pic).

[​IMG]

I am considering the Badger Ord M5 Detachable Mag Setup, w/ 5 & 10 mags. I will probably send it to Badger for the Milling and Install ($75) That way, if they jack it up, they own it.
    For mounts I am going with the Badger USMC Rail with lug(s) but I am still researching the lug / no lug options as some say to mill the 20 MOA into the top of the receive,r and others say just use a rail that builds in the 20 MOA.

(What I would really like is the Rem MARS Rail.) :)

[​IMG]

Also I am installing a forward BO #1005-306-59 Additional optics PVS-22 Rail. It just makes the M40A5 look so damn sexy.

[​IMG]

For rings BO and the scope will, I am leaning towards Night Force. Just have to start turning in my beer bottles for the refund.

Give me you thoughts: Especially the M5 over the Wyatt's as I have looked at both.

I'm also liking this stock equally.

[​IMG]

11. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I researched all the bottom metals for months before deciding which one to buy. I chose the wyatts simply because they are kind of a matched pair with the bell and Carlson stocks. I've been running it for over a year now and I love it. Definitely a good upgrade. Only down fall is that you have to use their proprietary magazine, but the bottom metal comes with one, and I just ordered a second to have as a backup.

Attached Files:

12. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Shot this 3 shot group with my .308 AAC-SD at 100 yards, with my handloads

Attached Files:

13. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Nice group, what kind of load you using? Here are a couple 5 shot groups I did with my own handloads at 100 yds, 700 sps tactical

14. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Guess attaching the picture of the groups would have helped,Haha here they are

Attached Files:

15. 0351_Vet

0351_Vet New Member

SWEET - Nice Group

16. 0351_Vet

0351_Vet New Member

What about this Stock?

[​IMG]

17. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Manners are amazing stocks, only complaint I have with them is their finish. I would definitely have a duracoat job done after getting it

18. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Hornady 168 grain match bullets with 42.5 grains of reloader 15

19. tomArizona

tomArizona New Member

I like the rifle you built. What kind of scope did u go with?

20. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Which rifle are you referring to tom?