Rem 514

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Shihan, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I was thinking of getting a new .22 for some plinking fun. Anyone have experience with this little .22? Is the Remington 514 a good rifle to shoot some cans and other targets for fun. Just looking for a fun little bolt twenty-two. Any input is welcomed.

2. Shihan

Why not? I want to practice with something small, and then I can slowly work my way up to a more manly 700 or even the most manly of bolt action Rifles a Mosin Nagant.:D

3. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

I think he means why a bolt and not something like a semi if your just plinking and shooting up cans

4. Shihan

Have a semi want a bolt.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

A Remington model 514 was my very 1st firearm. They are great single shot rifles if you're not planning on mounting a scope. If you decide to mount a scope it'll either have to be drilled & tapped or grooves machined in the receiver. They are cock on closing, accept all .22 S/L/LR, had walnut stocks, and relatively trouble free. At most you might need an extractor or firing pin. Mine burnt up in the house fire in case you come across an extra on the cheap I'd be interested for nostalgia sake. What else do you need to know?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. Shihan

What is one fair shape worth? It has a narrow scope already mounted. Just don't want to pay too much.

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'd give a C note for it. They don't have much collector's value and if it has a scope on it it's already been modified. After all you can get .22s pretty cheap all day long.....Just sayin

9. Shihan

Good, I will see if he will take less than the $175 he is asking.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The Remington 5teen family is one of my favorites.

I have a 511 and a 513.

11. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

Does anyone know where to find an instruction manual for this? I need to disassemble it to clean it.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Breakdown

Will this help

ipb-remington-514.jpg

14. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

that's great. Thanks!

15. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The 514 is a good little rifle - picked mine up for $150 at a local Gun/Pawn Shop. They had two - I later went back for the other - it had a different stock - but it was gone.
    One thing though - many have worn extractors. I replaced mine and it's been 100% since. Numrich has them fairly cheap, and it takes a couple minutes to swap out.
    Mine isn't grooved for a scope - later ones might be. The scope grooves were introduced in '54 or '55. I did put an old Marlin aperture sight on mine. I love peep sights!
    The 514 is NOT anything like the rest of the 5-teen series - totally different animal. So, I also have the 512X and the 521T Junior Target rifles. The 512X has a bent barrel, but still shoots tight! I just have to keep the rear sight all the over to one side...... :D

16. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

Where can I find parts for this? I was taking it apart and the safety and main spring went flying.

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

You might want to look in the most remote spot on the property. If you let the spring and saftey get away and you have the breakdown, you should take it to the smith. Only God and Remington knows what else is AWOL.

18. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Look on the Numrich website. If they don't have it, then it becomes a Google Search adventure.