Rem 458 Mag.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rant, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Rant

Rant New Member

What do you have to pay for a 458 mag in a rem ? the numbers are B6777392 where was it made and was this custom ... shop? thanks for you help!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. Rant

Rant New Member

Have you ever hit a Gun and it has a tone.. hermonics? Thats stress free The 458 has this .. hit your gun and see if will sings to you ... this is very .. interesting?

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

About that much and

HUH [​IMG]

4. Rant

Rant New Member

Hermonics is a very interesting thing... in Guns!

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

remington no longer makes their safari line of 700's. you can still get them as they were only discontinued for 2011. they run around 1500$ NIB.

if you want a 458 win mag i would go with cz or winchester over the remington.

6. Rant

Rant New Member

CZ... or Win over a Rem ... very intresting... i have A real CZ.. not US..... ones that came from the Iron curtain.... Shoots like Hell !..... but very... very.. in the ruFF...

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

rem 700 isnt very good in the large bores thats why remington discontinued their safari line they just didnt sell.. they excel in 30cal and down.

mauser style actions are the best for big bore rifles. thats why i suggest them the winchester model 70 is the best for big bore short action, followed closely by the cz550 line.

8. Rant

Rant New Member

Its like Im talking to a stone wall ... Do I have to GO into repetition? sorry All what I AM saying.. iff you do not shoot a 223... do you HAVE any thing on the custom numbers on my 458.. thanks..! aND REM IS NOT REAL GOOD IN THE bIG BORES.. REALY ?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive no clue as to what your asking. and no the remingtons are not, thats why they didnt sell, and why remington stopped making them.

the reason they are not good is because big bores are typically used for hunting dangerous game like cape buffalo, elephants, lions etc. push feed in bigbores have extraction and feeding issues mainly due to the nature of belted magnum cartridges. thats why the preferred action for dangerous game is either the big english double rifles typically called "continentals" or mauser style actions.

if all your doing is popping rounds at the range or busting water melons it doesnt matter. if you have a cape buffalo coming at ya you want an action thats reliable in the extreme.

10. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

In the English language, there are 26 characters, called letters.

When these letters are placed in certain orders, they form words.

When these words are placed in a certain order, they form sentences.

When you get about four or more sentences, it becomes a paragraph.

Use all of these in their special order, along with special characters called punctuation marks, YOU MIGHT GET SOME FLIPPIN HELP.

but rambling like a second day drunk and being a smart ass will get you very little. Except maybe a glint of light from the shiny end of the banhammer right before it ceases your existence.

Oh, and definitely the CZ over a Remington in big bore.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

12. Rant

Rant New Member

Thank you for your thoughts.. I was just wondering about this gun, I got it at a very good price from a old Gun man and it seems to be a cut above a average Rem Gun. But it was never on their their list to buy... I found that strange thats All .

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

More than likely it was a custom shop gun which normally don't show up in catalogs or on the web site.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

2010 was the last year of remington's safari 700 line. they discontinued because of poor sales. it was a normal production gun which could also be had through the custom shop. most liekly it was not a custom gun. the safari line for remington like winchester and cz offerings with their base models was on par with the normal high grade offerings in smaller calibers.

if you got a base model safari it was on par with the higher end 700's in 30-06 etc.

to attract buyers for a very limited select market rifle makers tend to put much more quality into their big bores with the exception of ruger. there is a lot of competition for the limited big bore market. those that buy them tend to focus on quality which is why your safari is a better quality than a typical base 700.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

They used to offer the 798 in .458. It was a Czech Mauser made for Remington.

16. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I wouldn't be concerned about the opinion that Rem 700s aren't good in the large calibers--that's total fabrication. The ONLY reason they aren't as popular is because they are not controlled feed actions--some dangerous game hunters will only use controlled feed bolt actions--however the 700 action is stronger and one of the best in the world. You've got a great gun--congratulations.

17. Rant

Rant New Member

So.. on this forum Rem could not make a Great Big Bore.. Gun... very interesting...... So its a piece of ****... very interesting!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  18. JonM

JonM Moderator

nope thats just my opinion. i dont speak for the entire ftf community just for myself.

but i did not come to that opinion out of a whim or any bias against remington or the 700. ive been shooting big bore rifles for over 25 years i have 2 belted magnums currently used to have a third. i also own and cherish a remington 700 xcr.

i also didnt say that the 700 bigbores were junk.

if you just wanna target shoot with em go for it.

if you wanna hunt things in africa with it i strongly recomend doing some serious research on dangerous game hunting first in regards to rifle selection. there IS a reason they arent popular with the dangerous game crowd.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

At ease there soldier. The Remington 700 is a good rifle, you won't get much argument about that. Is it a great gun? No. There are better out there (and I have a 700). The feature that keeps it from being the first choice for a dangerous game rifle is the push feed. Dangerous game rifles should have controlled feed.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I 15000% endorse that feeling.

When things get hot and heavy and you have a pissed off animal that can eat your or crush you and not even think twice about it. There is nothing like a controlled round feeding.