Rem 11-87, Gap between rib and receiver?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Blackstone, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Blackstone

Blackstone New Member

Hi Guys, I just bought a Remington 11-87 Sportsman and after putting the barrel on I noticed that there is a gap between the end of the rib and the receiver. It is a small gap, maybe 1/16". is this normal? I slid the barrel on as far in and as tight as it will go. After tightening the nut on the for arm the barrel seems to be solid in the receiver, not loose and no rattles. Is the gap normal? I don’t remember seeing this gap on other guns. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The "Sportsman" name tells much. This is not a high end shotgun. It is an entry level shotgun. High levels of fit and finish cost money. It is only a cosmetic thing and I would not fret one bit about it. Shoot the heck out of it.

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

^^^^ What he said.

4. tCan

tCan Active Member

Wouldn't be too hard to fix with a bit of weld, a file and some blue. Personally, I'd leave it be. Maybe keep an eye out for galling in that area, but it should be fine. I can't imagine that the rib has anything to do with how the barrel seats in the receiver. The rib is only held on there with a little bit of solder.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looking at the picture, it's looks to be a slight cosmetic issue and should have no bearing on how it performs. if the barrel is seated and tightened properly, IMO, i wouldn't worry too much about it. just shoot it and enjoy it.